Erich Kleinschuster & Joe Henderson/Carmell Jones

soulpope

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more comment: The bass sound is not to my liking, picked-up, as was getting the habit at the time, and on the Henderson his intonation leaves something to be desired. Something missing at the bottom end of the frequency range - the engineers at our local Frankfurt radio station made better jazz sound at the time - and without relying on pickups.

The fact that they took so much time to rehearse the horn arrangements puts this above average. This confirms Kleinschuster was one of Europe's best 'bonists!

I just want to let you know: Erich Kleinschuster ist avaible at redoctopus again. I saw it today in the shop.

Far be it from me to offer advice, but redoctopus certainly did me right, so some of y'all might want to carpe diem on this bad boy, just in case DG snafus...

I emailed redoctopus for directions and they responded promptly, thouroghly, and effectively.

Here's their directions. Note that they might need to know your country in advance. An email should take care of that.

Dear Mr. Sangrey,

thank you for your interest.

first we would need to know, to which country we should deliever, so we could tell you the shippment costs. We only do have shippment cost for some european countries on our website.

For all other countries it depends on the weight.

We are going to tell you the shipment costs first, then you can order on our website.

We do this step by step: first you press the button "in den warenkorb" which means "into the basket"

then on the right top on the website "zur kasse" which means "to the register"

then you get our shipping conditions, check it.

then push the button "zur Eingabe der Bestelldaten" which is "insert your data"

then the button "Weiter ohne Registrierung" which means continue whichout registration

so:

Anrede = Herr oder Frau = Mr. or Mrs.

Titel = you don`t need

Vorname = first name

Name = name

Straße Hausnr. = Street and Number

PLZ = Zip code

Stadt = city

Land = country

* note, to order you have to fill out Österreich (Austria), when your country isn`t listened here, tell us your country with email

Also note: shipping costs are NOT valid for you if you check ÖSTERREICH (Austria)*

eMail Adresse = email adress

on the buttom of this side, check

a, your country has been listend than: "Lieferung ins EU Ausland" which means another european country than Austria

b, your country has not be listened: "Lieferung ins Inland"

which means to Austria

"Vorabüberweisung" means sending money through your bankaccount (very expensive for you)

"Kreditkarte" = creditcard

bellow this you fill out your creditcard information:

Kreditkarte = VISA / Eurocard

Karteninhaber = YOU

Kartennummer = number of the card

Kartenprüfnummer = klick info then you`ll see which numbers we need

gültig bis Monat Jahr = valid to month year

then the button "vor Absenden noch die Übersicht" = look at your order before check out"

then you use the button "alles ok, jetzt bestellen" = everything ok, order now"

good luck ;)

for any further questions just send an email

best regards

Red Octopus Onlinestore

http://www.redoctopus.at

shop@redoctopus.at

I used the altavista babel fish to translate each page, which worked very well until I got to the secure pages. Then I just had to cut and paste paragraphs into Babel fish to get the meaning of the varoius options.

I think most of my probelms were caused by using the "shared link" that muddle things. I think the newer link above should be ok. As with Jim, Red Octapus staff were very helpful and quick to respond to my queries. CD rocks of course....

One more comment: The bass sound is not to my liking, picked-up, as was getting the habit at the time, and on the Henderson his intonation leaves something to be desired. Something missing at the bottom end of the frequency range - the engineers at our local Frankfurt radio station made better jazz sound at the time - and without relying on pickups.

The fact that they took so much time to rehearse the horn arrangements puts this above average. This confirms Kleinschuster was one of Europe's best 'bonists!

mikeweil

although i do also prefer a bass sound "up to the fore", i think we should settle for what we got ( and this is great music). Speaking of sessions recorded in germany in the 60s and early 70s, i would love to see somebody having the guts and start issuing the NDR workshops in a similar series finally like the kleinschuster project. the concerts i know (nathan davis/ted curson/jimmy woode etc from 1966 and the fantastic rahsaan roland kirk from 1972 feat. a dazzling 12min plus version of "volunterred slavery" come to my mind !!!) are top notch.

hope this will happen sometimes.....

cheers+grüße aus wien

emil

Emil, on a base line I agree with you - this is excellent music. I just wondered at the bass sound, which, BTW, varies greatly between the sessions on the CD.

As Jim Sangrey stated, the set is worth the price for the Clifford Jordan tracks alone!

Speaking of sessions recorded in germany in the 60s and early 70s, i would love to see somebody having the guts and start issuing the NDR workshops in a similar series finally like the kleinschuster project. the concerts i know (nathan davis/ted curson/jimmy woode etc from 1966 and the fantastic rahsaan roland kirk from 1972 feat. a dazzling 12min plus version of "volunterred slavery" come to my mind !!!) are top notch.

I'm with you here! What I have heard that circulates on CDR is excellent!

Speaking of sessions recorded in germany in the 60s and early 70s, i would love to see somebody having the guts and start issuing the NDR workshops in a similar series finally like the kleinschuster project. the concerts i know (nathan davis/ted curson/jimmy woode etc from 1966 and the fantastic rahsaan roland kirk from 1972 feat. a dazzling 12min plus version of "volunterred slavery" come to my mind !!!) are top notch.

I'm with you here! What I have heard that circulates on CDR is excellent!

Yes indeed!

And the same goes for the Baden-Baden recordings! Other kind(s) of jazz there, but some terrific stuff, from those I've heard!

Edited by king ubu

• 1 month later...

Boardmembers,

as the summer starts fading away just wanted to remind you that the second installment of the Erich Kleinschuster reissues, this time featuring Art Farmer, is in preparation for late fall 2005. :D

As seemingly Vol. 1 with C. Jordan and C. Jones is still NOT available in the U.S :( (at least based on Dustygrooves website), this is still in stock with the austrian store mentioned earlier in the thread.

I`m counting the days for Vol.2

Cheers, Emil

Boardmembers,

as the summer starts fading away just wanted to remind you that the second installment of the Erich Kleinschuster reissues, this time featuring Art Farmer, is in preparation for late fall 2005.  :D

As seemingly Vol. 1  with C. Jordan and C. Jones is still NOT available in the U.S  :( (at least based on Dustygrooves website), this is still in stock with the austrian store mentioned earlier in the thread.

I`m counting the days for Vol.2

Cheers, Emil

Good News

Looking forward to it

• 1 month later...

So, then, redoctopus appears to be the only place on the planet where you can get this one??  Dusty just says "Fall 2005".

According to our friends at Red Octopus, Volume 2 is due to be released 'in the Autumn'. Does anyone have any information about who will be on it?

Edited by Head Man

• 2 weeks later...

Just what I have read in the liner of Vol 1

"Nearly every month noted guest soloists (altogether it was about thirty), musicians as also reciters would be invited for first rate 'Jazz and Lyric' productions, working out programs with the sextet musicians made up partially of standards and partially of original numbers."

I am assuming that the show or shows with Art Farmer as guest is the next edition based on soulpope's post.

Since I have "surrendered to the tentcals" I get email updates, just cannot read them.

Just what I have read in the liner of Vol 1

"Nearly every month noted guest soloists (altogether it was about thirty), musicians as also reciters would be invited for first rate 'Jazz and Lyric' productions, working out programs with the sextet musicians made up partially of standards and partially of original numbers."

I am assuming that the show or shows with Art Farmer as guest is the next edition based on soulpope's post.

Since I have "surrendered to the tentcals" I get email updates, just cannot read them.

The Art Farmer Sessions were due for release this fall.As I have learned recently this release is now postponed to spring.Maybe legal reasons are the cause for this.As soon as I have more info i will post it here.

Greetings from Vienna

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...