Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters... RELEASED!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try to order yer disc soon, I heard some clips up at school on my comp in my dorm, "Jimmy Smith Goes To Washington" sounded real hip, and very cool for getting Ron Blake to play on a few tracks. Mebbe you guys can hit Binghamton University sometime and play Late Nite Binghamton. An organ combo out of NY played last semester that was really hip, and also some of the local musicians that play gigs everyweek at a popular spot The Lost Dog have played Late Nite. you can even sell yer discs after a gig.

b3-er:

One: I just placed my order for Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters. Now I'm waitin' for it! The sound clips are as good as anything I've heard from Galactic or Soulive. I won't know if I can include MMW in my list (of bands yours is comparable to) till I get your CD in the mail. I think MMW is the best active group around. John Medeski is on that organ like nobody's business! I'll be playing your CD as I drive around town in my car. It will replace Galactic and Soulive. :P

Two: Now that some of the regulars are giving their best efforts in the Politics forum... How's the space on your server holding out? :g

Edited by wesbed

I hope you guys get to DC one day.

Jim's been playing that Sonny Stitt tune lately, Goin' to D.C., in spite of my telling him that we are way too white to pull that off! :winky:

Thanks for the compliments mr. jazz.

Edited by Jim Alfredson

I hope you guys get to DC one day.

Jim's been playing that Sonny Stitt tune lately, Goin' down to D.C., in spite of my telling him that we are way too white to pull that off! :winky:

Thanks for the compliments mr. jazz.

I'm the drummer with Jim & Joe and I am constantly amazed at how, after playin' with them for 21/2 years they still manage to come up with tunes I've never played with them!!

~Randissimo~

Just checked out the clips from Boogaloo Sisters, and you guys rock (well, you know what I mean)! Great playing by all, and I only heard samples of three tunes.

Joe G, "Lifewish" is a beautiful melody, and Jim...shit, I could have sworn a lost organ date from 1961 surfaced in "Jimmy Smith..." You have that feel down so well.

Do you guys ever let Randissimo let loose and wail a bit? Well, I'll have to buy the record and see!!!!

Finally got my copy today!!!

Great job Jim, Joe and Randy!

Nice variety of great tunes. I think Jimmy Smith Goes to Washington may be my early favorite. Jim, I can hear a little Smith, Patton and Young

in your style. You've obviously studied your lessons on the masters!

I wish you could've seen my girls (1 and 3 yrs old) dancing to Clap Yo' Hands. I think it's their early favorite. Joe, I was kinda getting a Larry Carlton vibe on this one. (that's a good thing in my book!)

I've been on an organ kick lately and this is going to get some heavy play!

Edited by scottb

I got my copy a few days ago. Sent Jim a PM telling how much I liked it. Great players who play great together! Jim is a phenom, check out some of the things he does on "Young's Dream".... Plus, his ability to sustain syncopated basslines, much less solo over them, sets him apart from 99.9% of most everybody else. What he does isn't easy, he's put in a lot of practice and dedication on an instrument that is unwieldy at best. All this and taste too! Unbelievable.

As for the other guys, well...I doubt you could find better anywhere. Lansing is getting spoiled with a drummer and guitar player like that in their midst. Keep up the great playing ya'll! :D

I really hate "reviewing" music, but Jim asked if I'd be so kind as to say what I thought, so I'm obliging. Hope I don't sound like an idiot. :(

Edited by Soul Stream

Do you guys ever let Randissimo let loose and wail a bit?  Well, I'll have to buy the record and see!!!!

Yeah, most of the time they (Jim & Joe) let me stretch out a little, though I get shit once in awhile if I'm tryin' to move a simple groove around too much.

Case in point, "Clap Yo' Hands".. I really have to discipline myself to just sit on that groove pattern in the front of the tune... I guess it comes from so many years of playing bebop and free jazz...

Thanks jmjk for the positive words... ;)

scottb,

Clap Yo Hands is a favorite of the tikes, that's for sure! The drummer in the R&B band I play with has a 4 year old and she loves that tune, too! :) Like her proud father says, "Children are the true test of music." If they can get down to it, it's good. Just don't tell Barney that!

Thanks for your comments.

Soul Stream,

Thank you as well for posting a review. It means a lot to me to have my fellow ex-BNBB brethren digging our stuff. A "phenom"? I don't know about that, but I'll take it! :) I do pride myself on doin' the funky thang.

That record just makes me want to write more and record more! :) I've been working so hard lately, it's been a bummer not being able to practice. :rmad:

Still waiting for the sisters to arrive, but the boogaloo brothers arrived here today to give my CD player a few spins. Fast delivery: Ordered on 3/8, shipment confirmed on 3/9 (Sunday!) arrived 3/14. Less than a week to get over the drink!

I like it. First impression: Right in the middle between Soulive and the Larry Goldings Trio. Jazzier than the former, funkier than the latter. You guys take some chances, and succeed! Keep up the work. i want to give it a few lsitenings before I turn in a more detailed review, but accept my congratulations right away: very good debut record!

(I miss a "thumbs up" among the smilies!)

First impression: Right in the middle between Soulive and the Larry Goldings Trio. Jazzier than the former, funkier than the latter.

That's pretty much how I see it. :) We humbly accept your congrats, and I look foward to that detailed review. Don't mince words; I'm interested in the whole scope of what folks think.

Edited by Jim Alfredson

I love the disc. I have probably played it 7 or 8 times. My only complaint (producer in me rising to the surface) is the cd should have ended with another straight 4 blowout at the end. The only other way to end it (for me) would be a Larry Young inspired "out" tune.

Don't be second guessed by others.

Ordered Monday, received Saturday and listened to twice so far, digging it a great deal. Definitely like the tunes with Ron Blake; but the only tune that doesn't appeal so much is "Life Wish"-for me it kind of noodles around and doesn't sustain my interest.

But the rest of the disc-great stuff!

the only tune that doesn't appeal so much is "Life Wish"-for me it kind of noodles around and doesn't sustain my interest.

...and you lose some. B)

I'm glad you still dig the rest of it, Dan.

Edited by Joe G