Vandermark 5 at Rocco's 6-29-03

Guest Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

I am thinking of going to this tomorrow night depending on how I feel.

Is anyone else going?

It would be my first time seeing the Vandermark 5 live. Though it is starting at 10pm. I know this is LA and all but that really seems like a late starting time. There is supposed to be two sets.

I hope you are up to it, as I don't think they are likely to disappoint! I will be there, probably the only guy with a 14-yer old in tow. It IS late for a Sunday, even though it is an improvement over Rocco's usual shows--which are weeknights at 11:00! I'd probably check out a lot more of his shows if it weren't for those hours. Some of us do have to get up and go to work. That being said, I think the Vandermark 5 are worth losing sleep over.

Guest Mnytime

I must say this is pretty sad if only two of us that are living in Los Angeles are going.

By the way, I will be the tall guy with the cane. And I promise not to bring anything that bites. ;)

Guest Mnytime

Ok, I am off. Hope to see a few of you there!!! It's my first time going there myself so I have no clue about parking. Someone please save me a chair if possible!!!

Guest Mnytime

Just got back about 15 minutes ago and it was a smoking performance!!!

I will give a more detailed post on my thoughts tomorrow. I am tired and in pain.

Hi Mnytime & Hackensack,

I was at the show last night as well. What a smokin' couple of sets! That was my first time seeing Vandermark in any context, and I must say I was impressed. Extremely impressed!

Say Mny, I think I may have been sitting right by you. There was a tall guy with a cane in the front row, middle stage left. Was that you? If so, I was sitting just to your right, one row up.

I thought about yelling out "Organissimo!" to see if anyone would respond, but I thought the better of it! But, given some of the comments that were yelled out last night (all funny as hell, I must say!), it wouldn't have been a big deal!

Cheers,

Shane

Guest Mnytime

Yea sounds like me. Now if he was damn good looking it was defiantly me. ;)

You should have said hello between sets!

It was my first time seeing the Vandermark 5 as well but I was at the Knitting Factory School Days performance were only 13 people showed up as Vandermark mentioned.

I must say I think the band was really surprised by the turn out. I would say at least 100+ showed up. People were sitting in the aisles, standing it was so packed, and this was after they brought out about 15 more folding chairs.

Got to talk to Ken for a good amount and have some info on upcoming releases of different projects he is involved with.

I will get back on my comments later. I have to take some meds and it takes about an hour.

:D

Wow, I guess it's a pretty small world after all. Mny, you were wearing a blue shirt, right? I was the guy in the front row in front of Jeb Bishop with my son, who's taller than I am but only 14. I wanted to say hi, but he needed some attention, and wanted to bolt out afterwards. He did enoy the music, though, and it's the first time he's ever seen anything like that.

I am a HUGE Vandermark fan, and I was at the School Days show too! It's even possible that the only reason I knew about it (there was/is damned little publicity for any Knitting Factory West jazz show) was a Mnytime post on an other forum. Anyway, I brought my brother to that show, so between me and Mny, we accounted for 3 of the reported 13 in attendance!

Anyway, last night was great! All new material, which is Ken's methodology: write it, take it on the road for a while, and when everybody's really got it down, go into the studio. I'll try to add some observations later.

I was there as well. Sorry I don't check this on weekends; I would have liked to say hi to all of you.

I was in the front row, first seat to the left off the middle aisle. Wearing cargo pants and T-shirt, and occasionally jotting things in a little notebook. So I was a couple of seats to your left, Hack, and the next section over from you Mnytime. And I guess we all were in the front row. How's that for dedication?

I thought it was a great show.

I have no recollection of him in town 2 years ago with Jeb Bishop. At the Knit, huh?

Guest Mnytime

Ok my Vandermark comments.

It was my first time going to Rocco’s new place. Not sure how new it is by the way. I have to say I didn’t care for the parking. I had to hobble an eternity to get to the place and after all that sitting getting back to the car was not fun.

Anyway I get there and I commit the first of my two Homer Simpson D'OH’s. I walk up to three guys sitting on the chairs they have in the front and another guy with his back to me standing on the top of the stairs. The guys I see sitting look familiar to me I am thinking and I ask, “if this is were the Vandermark performance will be held”. Vandermark turns around to tell me yes it is. I than realize the other three are Rempis, Kessler and Bishop. :rolleyes:

Well after saying hello I get in there so they can have a good laugh. ;)

When I get inside I see there are like 10 people in there and it is around 9:40. After the Knitting Factory 13 people episode and with only Hackenshack saying he was going on the two boards I asked about this concert I was expecting a repeated lack of attendance. And this time it would be 5 years before they come back instead of 3 years.

So around 9:45 people start to trickle in at first than more and more people are coming in and the place is filling up. What really surprises me is the amount of women that are showing up. I saw a woman that looked to be in her mid 40’s. Though generally most of the women appeared to be in their early 20’s that either came or brought their boyfriend. I figure there was about 15-18 women at this performance.

So the place is really filling up and they are bringing out chairs but it still is not enough. When the group comes out you can see they are surprised by the amount of people out there waiting for them.

I was running behind schedule for me and wasn’t organized and forgot to bring a notebook to write down the titles of the new tracks. But there were 2 sets with 5 pieces per set.

First thing I have to say about this group is they really are tight. Even with the occasional flub they worked it into what they were doing.

As has been pointed out the crowd had a few people that were vocal in a funny and good-natured way. I think the funniest comment was the one to Tim Daisy that I believe was something along the lines of “You Own Me Tim, You Own Me.” :P The whole band cracked up at this and Tim was in the middle of a solo at this point when it happened. There was another one towards the end that was directed towards Tim that I didn’t really catch all of but everyone cracked up including the band. And Vandermark started busting Tim about “Tim and his followers getting together after the show.”

Another point to make. Everyone was on fire in this performance but Dave Rempis really was burning the place down. He was all over the place in a very good way and very interesting way. He really should get more attention than he does. I would be interested to see him as a leader on some recordings. He was also doing that tapping thing that John Butcher does. I think he also used some circular breathing and he was doing this clicking popping kind of thing as well that Butcher does as well.

Oh yea, the reeds that Rempis and Vandermark played were, Baritone, Tenor and Clarinet for Vandermark and Tenor and Alto for Rempis. Sometimes using more than one during a piece. I was hoping Vandermark would bring the Bass Clarinet but you can't have everything.

Well during the intermissions I committed my second D’OH of the night. I forgot to go to the bank to get cash and Ken said they only took cash that they used to pay for the gas on the car. So what do I say knowing that he is from Chicago. “You don’t know if there is an ATM around here?” Ok I know but the excuse I have is the pain meds I was taking so I could sit for so long. Yea it was the meds that’s the reason. :g:g:g

Ok to the info I got from Ken about future releases. He said that there is going to be another Sound in Action Trio recording coming out later this year. That he and Tim Daisy this time will be joining Robert Barry in April to record it. Also, in regards to the Brotzmann Tentet that they have a bunch of stuff recorded from their last tour and just needs to be mixed and should also be out later this year. Hell yea to both of those I must say!!

He also mentioned during the second set that the V5 would be going back into the studio soon to record their next recording even though they just put out one.

Well after commenting once again about how amazed at how many people came out to see them after only 13 came to the School Days performance they blew the place down with their last piece. It was an extended suite that I don’t think he gave the name of. Adam might be able to tell us. Well they burned the place down with that and left and they crowd went nuts and a good many of us gave a standing ovation that went on several minutes. Well this got the V5 back out again and Vandermark said they were not expecting to play an encore. I think that goes back to expecting a small crowd again but that they were going to play Archie Shepp’s “Wherever June Bugs Go”, which you can find on Live in San Francisco. An incredible recording as Ken mentioned to the crowd as well.

This one burned whatever was left of the place from the night’s performance. I have to say this has to have been one of my favorite Jazz performances that I saw in Los Angeles.

I also have to say I thought the acoustics in this place was very good and I could hear all involved easily. Though sitting in the front row no more than 5 feet than anyone in the band might have something to do with that as well.

Oh yea anyone that thinks this type of Jazz doesn’t swing really should check them out. More swinging was going on in this performance than anything I have heard from WM!!

Sorry I couldn’t give more details on each song but I forgot my notebook. All I can say is if you can see these guys live do yourself a favor and do so!!!!!

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

I forgot to add that talking to him afterwards that Ken told me that after the turn out and reception they got he will try to come back in a year or less. That he would like to be able to come out every year if they continue to get this type of turn out.

Oh and I asked about the Brotzmann Tentet touring out this way and he said there was no way they could do it financially speaking. Unless it was one of the big festivals that pay more money. So the only way we are ever going to see that group live is on the East Coast. :rcry

Edited by Mnytime

Mny, the Tentet played in Vancouver a few years back, but that was the most I think they've seen of the West Coast. There is interest around these parts about having them play Bumbershoot or the Seattle's Earshot Festival. No reason a West Coast tour couldn't be organized from there. You can be damned sure that CMG in Portland would support. Plus Vandermark's got that handy MacArthur bankroll to subsidize, right? :rolleyes: Glad you got the chance to hear this group, as I remember you don't get many performers of the freer varieties where you're at. They're playing out here on Sunday and I plan to attend. Last time I saw Vandermark was last year at Tonic with the Tentet, so it'll be nice to hear him (and Bishop!!!) in a smaller setting, especially in one of the groups that gives me kicks. When the 5's on, they're on superbig.

Guest Mnytime

Well those are still Festivals like he was talking about. Also, he has been using that grant to allow the Tentet to tour as much as it has already. You have to give Vandermark credit using his money the way he has. I don't think I have heard anything about any other past winners doing what he has done.

Yea we get next to no one in comparision to the east coast or Chicago. Hell, even Texas gets Brotzmann DLAD groups and Evan Parker.

Mny gave a nice summary. I don't know what I can add, but it was fantastic! The place is a little non-equity theatre, so there are backdrops from a play. Audience on two side of an L, "stage" raised up about 6" from the floor. No PA, just an amp for Kessler's bass. They didn't need it at all, and all of the really quiet parts were perfectly audible.

Maybe we can get Adam to post the setlist here? I would much appreciate it. [i thought I recognized you Adam--Trey here]

The only one I can remember now is Gullina, for Lars Gullin, which was some gorgeous, nuanced ballad playing by Ken--on baritone, of course. They did some really ass-kicking groove funk stuff and they did some very abstract stuff, expanding on the direction of a couple of the pieces on Airports. Including one where KV would make up the order as he went along, holding up fingers to signal each part.

Really, completely engaging through 2 1-hour sets. I think KV is writing more "beautiful" harmony parts for the horns, and playing better than ever. A complete monster on baritone now.

Mny, I bought a copy of Rempis's latest, Twenty Minute Cliff, at the show. It's actually by Triage, his trio with Tim Daisy and Jason Ajemian on bass. The previous Triage CDs have been pretty subdued, and I am hoping the new one has a little more of the fire he brings to the V5. Have only heard the first track, and am not sure whether or not those hopes will be realized.

----- Original Message -----

Mnytime described very well.

Rocco's moved from around the corner into this space a few months ago. It's all a theatre complex, and so the spaces are used for plays at 7 or 8 pm, whcih is why Rocco's shows don't start until 10 or 11.

I have all the titles (except for one whcih got buried under some laughter) But the notebook is at home. Will bring tomorrow.

The audience member's line to Tim Daisy was "You own me Tim, you fuckin' OWN me!" Now imagine that during a solo.

Guest Mnytime

Including one where KV would make up the order as he went along, holding up fingers to signal each part.

I think the fingers were to signal who was to solo and when the whole group would play. But as you point out it was made up as they went along. My guess is that the order changes in every performance.

One finger was for Tim Daisy

2 fingers was for Kessler

3 was for the whole band

4 was for Vandermark

5 was for Bishop and Rempis who would than signaled each other when to trade off between each other.

Guest Chaney

The audience member's line to Tim Daisy was "You own me Tim, you fuckin' OWN me!"  Now imagine that during a solo.

What a great line!

Wish I could have been there but I am enjoying this discussion between the lucky few.

(I've just learned that Brotzmann was in Buffalo and I'm kicking myself for having missed it!) :angry:

Guest Mnytime

Adam or Hackensack

What was the line that was said to Tim during his solo during that extended suite before the encore?

It came from Hackensack's side ot the audience though I think way to his right. It cracked up everyone in the band and audience but I couldn't make it out. I think Daisey even stoped slightly in his solo to laugh.

The first one about Tim owning him came from the back of the audience from the aisle.

Edited by Mnytime

Yea we get next to no one in comparision to the east coast or Chicago.  Hell, even Texas gets Brotzmann DLAD groups and Evan Parker.

Where are you again, L.A.? I can't tell you how many musicians I've spoken with who would like to extend their tours from here in Seattle down your way. In the past 8 or so months we've had:

Prévost

Susie Ibarra

Craig Taborn

Paul Rutherford

Schlipp & Co.

Otomo Yoshihide

Daniel Carter

Wolfgang Fuchs

Leimgruber/Demierre/Barre Phillips

Rob Blakeslee

Joe Giardullo

Jeb Bishop

Torsten Mueller

Rudi Mahall

Paul Lovens

Frank Gratkowski

Francois Houle

Hugh Davies

Frode Gjerstad

Paal Nilssen-Love

Marilyn Crispell

tons of Europeans in that list who I know are dying to play through California. Most of those tours didn't even see the East Coast, but only went as far as Chicago (normally launching from there). Only two or three of those performers listed above played in conjunction with a festival (Empty Bottle & Vancouver Int'l). In most cases these shows are not door gigs either, but flat fees paid from non-profit orgs like Earshot & Creative Music Guild. Do any of the big California cities have such an organization that you guys are aware of? All it takes is a little coordination with guys like John Orysik in Vancouver and the boys in Seattle, Portland and Eugene, and you guys would probably have more live music to choose from. I suggest this though, not knowing a damned thing about the music climate out there.

Nice to read everyone's thoughts on the V5 performance. You've got me giddy now for Sunday night. Especially to see if Rempis can outplay Mars Williams, easily the finest composer and one of the more energetic improvisers of all those young Chicago cats. Part of me wishes he was still with the 5. Maybe the future will bring a 6!

Guest Mnytime

Yea, just rub it in that even Seattle gets more action than Los Angeles does. ;)

Honestly you would think going to Seattle is a farther distance than Los Angeles?

haha, honestly I wasn't trying to make it more painful for you. The only explanation I can come up with is that the airfares go a little crazy on the West Coast. And the drive can be a bitch, if not scenic. Again, it might just be a matter of having the right people (you and Adam Hill, even) do their share to promote and organize an extension of a pre-existing tour. Other than that, I'm stumped.

Guest Mnytime

haha, honestly I wasn't trying to make it more painful for you. The only explanation I can come up with is that the airfares go a little crazy on the West Coast. And the drive can be a bitch, if not scenic. Again, it might just be a matter of having the right people (you and Adam Hill, even) do their share to promote and organize an extension of a pre-existing tour. Other than that, I'm stumped.

Sure, Sure, You know you were rubbing it in naming all those musicians. :g

Mny,

I think the second "outburst" was basically just a variation on the first, that's the way I remember it anyway--it also seemed like the same guy, but it did come from a different place, behind me and a little further down.

We need to try to find a way to encourage Rocco to make the connections Joe is talking about--and also find a venue that can start a little earlier! There's people on his list I would miss sleep for, but honestly I'd be a LOT more inclined to see more of them if they were not weeknights at 11.