Harddrive manufacturers suck...

By the way, Chuck... I tried the screwdriver method to no avail yesterday while trying to get Davory to work! :D But thankfully the drive is mechanically sound, otherwise the data would've been truly lost.

Hey, that's really good news!!! I hope you manage to get all the shows off. I had the mechanical failure, you speak of once. Who knows, maybe the tiny motor blew out. It would have been a near impossible job to transfer the physical components to some other drive just to get it to the point where I could run data recovery software. In the end, it wasn't worth it.

SUCCESS!!! Everything is there except set three of the Green Mill (because that's when the harddrive died, in the middle of the gig, as I suspected) and the Green Mill stuff sounds good! I hadn't even had a chance to listen to it yet!

Off to the computer store to get a replacement drive. I'm buying a Seagate.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2nd system with 2 hard drives (C & F) and all of my digital photos and music downloads are on the larger F Drive. I was told that if the main C drive crashed, everything on that spare 80 GB 'F' disc could be recovered and wouldn't be lost. Does that sound correct, Jim.....anyone? I've never backed anything up and wonder if I should go ahead and put everything on some kind of removable media. I've got one Lexar 1GB Jump Drive....but with 8,000+ tunes and a zillion photos, I'd obviously need something more that a fistful of those.

I have a 2nd system with 2 hard drives (C & F) and all of my digital photos and music downloads are on the larger F Drive. I was told that if the main C drive crashed, everything on that spare 80 GB 'F' disc could be recovered and wouldn't be lost. Does that sound correct, Jim.....anyone? I've never backed anything up and wonder if I should go ahead and put everything on some kind of removable media. I've got one Lexar 1GB Jump Drive....but with 8,000+ tunes and a zillion photos, I'd obviously need something more that a fistful of those.

Yeah, you could mount that F: drive in another machine (or externally to another machine) and get the info off of it. However, if that drive fails, you won't be able to recover that info off of C: unless you have the system set up as a dual hardrive RAID.

If these files are that important to you, you should have them permanently backed up on optical (CD-R or DVD-R) media. I recently switched over to DVD-R and I am amazed at how much information I can store in 4.7 GB. However, I have also found (rather painfully) that cheap DVD-R discs fail prematurely. Stick to Taiyo Yuden-made blanks and you should be OK.

Kevin

I agree with Kevin that for really important things, you should have them backed up on optical media as well as another harddrive and possibly even another source. One of the most reliable back-up medias is still tape, believe it or not, and though expensive, they are invaluable for very important data. That said, with good compression, you could make multiple copies of things using inexpensive DVD-Rs.

As for your question, if C went down, F would still be perfectly readable since it is physically a different drive. If the two "drives" were nothing more than partitions (ie, divisions) of the same physical drive, things could get hairy. But if you're sure there is physically two drives in there, you'd be fine. However, there's nothing stopping F from going down one of these days and leaving C up and running as well.

For the record, I purchased a Seagate to replace the WD in that Acomdata case and much to my delight and surprise, Seagate drives carry a 5 year warranty. I'm buying Seagate from here on out.

I agree with Kevin that for really important things, you should have them backed up on optical media as well as another harddrive and possibly even another source. One of the most reliable back-up medias is still tape, believe it or not, and though expensive, they are invaluable for very important data. That said, with good compression, you could make multiple copies of things using inexpensive DVD-Rs.

As for your question, if C went down, F would still be perfectly readable since it is physically a different drive. If the two "drives" were nothing more than partitions (ie, divisions) of the same physical drive, things could get hairy. But if you're sure there is physically two drives in there, you'd be fine. However, there's nothing stopping F from going down one of these days and leaving C up and running as well.

For the record, I purchased a Seagate to replace the WD in that Acomdata case and much to my delight and surprise, Seagate drives carry a 5 year warranty. I'm buying Seagate from here on out.

Jim,

I believe Seagates are the only drive manufacturer that still offers 5-year warranties on their products. Compared to some Maxtor drives which only offer a 90-day(!) warranty, this should give you an idea that they are more willing to stand behind the quality of their products. Save for one 'bad' batch (the 7200.8 series), Seagates generally receive rave reviews for their quality. I have had no problems with Seagates in my experiences. I believe Seagate is buying out Maxtor, so hopefully their quality will transfer to Maxtor drives in the future, and not vice versa.

Thanks for the responses. I'm interested in taking a look at Seagate but am curious as to why only the internal hard drives are covered by the 5 year warranty?

Just as an aside, you read warranty-from-hell stuff like this (readers go ballistic over hard drive warranties)and you wonder if (regardless of how comfortable you feel about the level of coverage) you'll likely end up getting screwed anyway if the thing prematurely bites the dust? I think I like that Danish 2-yr mandatory warranty biz.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen