Since I don't have it in front of me I can't recall the author's name, perhaps they've been mentioned, but in that Columbia publication, Current Musicology, which contained excerpts of George Lewis' forthcoming book on the AACM in New York, there was an in depth chapter dedicated to Lee Morgan's musical life BEFORE he came to New York...good information, lots of leg work, etc. Fitz?

Well, he's on a Lonnie Smith Kudu side (Mama Wailer on which AMG has him listed as "Cabbell"...), plays one solo IIRC, but I'm darn near certain that he was on some 3-tenor date (or some such) on BS/SN as well.

That would be A Blowin' Session by Johnny Griffin with:

John Coltrane

Hank Mobley

Lee Morgan

Wynton Kelly

Paul Chambers

Art Blakey

Edited by marcello

I am in Pittsburgh. I could try to locate Cabell. I don't really know his work but am eager to meet him based on the above info. Does he have special insight into Lee Morgan per se or is he just another person people would like to see interviews documented?

Meanwhile, I am fighting an uphill battle trying to get the local public radio/jazz station to play more progressive classics and classic classics that surprisingly are not in their rotation or their library (this is WDUQ - the home of Tony Mowod and Bob Studebaker). We're talking stuff like Miles Smiles and other stuff like some Harold Land (West Coast Blues) and a bunch of other shit. That's what I been up to......wish I could be here more often, but trying to further the possibilities for a career in jazz programming while making ends meet.

matt

cb-a

Well, he's on a Lonnie Smith Kudu side (Mama Wailer on which AMG has him listed as "Cabbell"...), plays one solo IIRC, but I'm darn near certain that he was on some 3-tenor date (or some such) on BS/SN as well.

That would be A Blowin' Session by Johnny Griffin with:

John Coltrane

Hank Mobley

Lee Morgan

Wynton Kelly

Paul Chambers

Art Blakey

Marvin Cabell was on that side? :o:o:o

I would just like to add something here - I love jazz bios but I wish people would write them who know how to write bios - most of what I read (notable exception - Mikes book on Gryce) - reads like undigested research - other exceptions: Szwed on Miles and Sun Ra - biography is a special skill and discipline, and few who write in the field of pop/jazz seem to possess those - (must also mention Chris Albertson and Bessie Smith!) -

Thanks for the kind words. What I found difficult in writing biography was how to get all the great things that we had researched into the book. Our use of so many direct quotes from interviews affected things quite a bit. But I'd rather have a primary participant tell the story than some Johnny-come-lately paraphrase it.

For many others you see undigested research? I see unresearched indigestion. Too many of them don't have the "due diligence."

Mike

Lee Morgan was 19 years old.

Morgan, Lee (b Philadelphia, PA, July 10, 1938; d New York, February 19, 1972) trumpeter.

John Coltrane Sextet

Lee Morgan (tp) Curtis Fuller (tb) John Coltrane (ts) Kenny Drew (p) Paul Chambers (b) Philly Joe Jones (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, NJ, September 15, 1957

tk.2 Lazy Bird (alt. take) Blue Note CDP 7243 8 53428-2

tk.3 Lazy Bird Blue Note BLP 1577

tk.6 Moment's Notice Blue Note 45-1718, BLP 1577, BST 89903

tk.8 Blue Train (alt. take) Blue Note (J) TOCJ 1601, CDP 7243 8 53428-2

tk.9/8 Blue Train Blue Note 45-1691, BLP 1577, BST2 84429

tk.11 Locomotion Blue Note BLP 1577

tk.12 I'm Old Fashioned -

* John Coltrane - Blue Train (Blue Note BLP 1577)

Lee Morgan was 19 years old.

Morgan, Lee (b Philadelphia, PA, July 10, 1938; d New York, February 19, 1972) trumpeter.

John Coltrane Sextet

Lee Morgan (tp) Curtis Fuller (tb) John Coltrane (ts) Kenny Drew (p) Paul Chambers (b) Philly Joe Jones (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, NJ, September 15, 1957

tk.2 Lazy Bird (alt. take) Blue Note CDP 7243 8 53428-2

tk.3 Lazy Bird Blue Note BLP 1577

tk.6 Moment's Notice Blue Note 45-1718, BLP 1577, BST 89903

tk.8 Blue Train (alt. take) Blue Note (J) TOCJ 1601, CDP 7243 8 53428-2

tk.9/8 Blue Train Blue Note 45-1691, BLP 1577, BST2 84429

tk.11 Locomotion Blue Note BLP 1577

tk.12 I'm Old Fashioned -

* John Coltrane - Blue Train (Blue Note BLP 1577)

That's really impressive especially when you consider that Lennon-McCartney were still part of a cover band in the UK and Dylan was probably still in Minnesota.

• 4 years later...

here is a detailed chronology of Lee Morgan which is associated (don't know how) with McMillan's Bio

and (found through this chronology) here are some pretty cool photographs by saxophone player Peter Loeb, of himself sitting in with the Jazz Messengers (Morgan/Gilmore) and Roland Kirk/Don Byas