New Jazz Crusaders CD has horrible cover graphics

tjluke68

Just picked up this CD for $8.99 at the Virgin Megastore down the street (great price) but the cover looks awful! I swear it looks like they didn't have the original artwork and used the cheapest scanner to create one. The "subtitle" Recorded Live At The Newport & Pacific Jazz Festivals - 1966 looks extremely blurry to me.

Is my sight going or does anyone else see the problem?

Just picked up this CD for $8.99 at the Virgin Megastore down the street (great price) but the cover looks awful!  I swear it looks like they didn't have the original artwork and used the cheapest scanner to create one.  The "subtitle" Recorded Live At The Newport & Pacific Jazz Festivals - 1966 looks extremely blurry to me.

Is my sight going or does anyone else see the problem?

This is from Amazon:

B0009IW9JS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I swear it looks like they didn't have the original artwork and used the cheapest scanner to create one.

Is this a reissue? The announcements I read sounded like this was unissued material .... :huh: if so, this was newly designed. They should have reduced the upper white half to one third.

Have always loved this record & consider it to be one of their best. The bonus material (which I haven't heard yet) is from a live date recorded at Shelly's Manne-Hole, most of which was unusable at the time due to the band's not having had sufficient time to learn the material, I'm told.

I'm not much of a graphics nuts, didn't notice anything really wrong with my cover. Hardly noticed the cover.

I dig the original album, and this cd sounds great and has extra material added. . . . If you dig the Jazz Crusaders, this is one of the really good ones in my opinion, certainly one of the best that has made it to cd.

No doubts about the music here .....

While we're at it: How many live albums did the Jazz Crusaders do for Pacific, and are they out on CD, OOP or not? These will not be part of the upcoming Mosaic box, as I understand ...

Live at the Lighthouse (1962)

Live at the Lighthouse '66

Lighthouse '68

Lighthouse 1969

Live Sides (Blue Note) more tracks from 1968 sessions

To my knowledge, only the '66 album has been on CD.

No doubts about the music here .....

While we're at it: How many live albums did the Jazz Crusaders do for Pacific, and are they out on CD, OOP or not? These will not be part of the upcoming Mosaic box, as I understand ...

Live at the Lighthouse (1962)

Live at the Lighthouse '66

Lighthouse '68

Lighthouse 1969

Live Sides (Blue Note) more tracks from 1968 sessions

To my knowledge, only the '66 album has been on CD.

Lighthouse '68 was issued last year. It includes 4 bonus tracks.

Never dug the Trombone/Tenor of the front line.  It seems a trumpet needs to be in there somewhere or nix the trombone (sorry Free For All :blush: )

I'd have to disagree. A different character, a change of pace, you know. I always liked it. I saw them in '73, and Wayne pulled out a french horn for a few numbers. Blew the s**t (spit) out of it, too. :cool:

Here's what's available besides the new one and Chile Con Soul (which I dig to death - and had to buy three more copies of for my drum students!):

76850.jpg

The Jazz Crusaders- Lighthouse '68

1 Oogo-Boo-Ga-Loo

2 Eleanor Rigby

3 Native Dancer

4 Never Had It So Good

5 The Emperor

6 Impressions

7 Cathy The Cooker *

8 Shadows *

9 Tough Talk *

10 Third Principle *

* Previously unissued bonus tracks.

2438379882.jpg

THE JAZZ CRUSADERS - LIVE AT THE LIGHTHOUSE '66

1 Aleluia

2 Blues Up Tight

3 You Don't Know What Love Is

4 Miss It

5 Round Midnight - (previously unreleased)

6 Some Other Blues - (previously unreleased)

7 Scratch

8 Doin' That Thing

9 Milestones

Never dug the Trombone/Tenor of the front line.  It seems a trumpet needs to be in there somewhere or nix the trombone (sorry Free For All :blush: )

I forgive you and remain hopeful that one day you will see the error of your ways. ;)

BTW, if you don't like the bone/tenor combination, you might as well give up on the band as a whole, 'cause that's their SOUND. Trumpet/tenor would not sound like the Crusaders at all.

Bought it on Monday. The music is fine, but the cover indeed looks blurry on the left an right extremes, and the European Blue Note people had the bad taste to print their damn "copy controlled" logo on the bottom right of the photo! This is the first time I cursed that device .... :angry:

I forgive you and remain hopeful that one day you will see the error of your ways. ;)

BTW, if you don't like the bone/tenor combination, you might as well give up on the band as a whole, 'cause that's their SOUND. Trumpet/tenor would not sound like the Crusaders at all.

Nor the Dave Holland Quintet. I love this sound! I wonder if Dave got the idea from the Crusaders.

Nor the Dave Holland Quintet. I love this sound! I wonder if Dave got the idea from the Crusaders.

I read an interview where he was asked if his current lineup was inspired by Jackie McLean's quintet, and he said no, it's a coincidence and he's much more influenced by the Duke. I'm guessing that rules out the Crusaders as well.

Guy