June Christy

jmjk

Yeah, I've been neglecting many of the vocal titles in my cd collection for a while, but last night I pulled out June Christy's Something Cool, and in my infatuated frenzy, I ended up spinning it three times! God, how I missed it!

I prefer June's small group work like The Intimate Miss Christy, or the Coop combos, as opposed to her Rugolo or Kenton big band sides.

Anyone else like June's singing? (I know, some of you probably saw her live with Kenton way back when...)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never met a Christy recording I didn't like, not yet.

The Mosaic is wonderful, although it's not Christy's greatest it's refreshing and the Peggy Lee material is often sublime. Amazing job with the sound by Malcom "My Man!" Addy.

jmjk - You might want to check out, just in case you don't have it, THE SONG IS JUNE/OFF BEAT (Capitol Jazz), which has the most stunningly beautiful version of "Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most" you've ever heard. It's all good.

Dr J - Thanks for the tip--I don't have the The Song is June album, but I have a comp with "Spring Can Really..." on it, and it's fantastic. I look forward to filling in some gaps with more of her material.

Vibes - as far as the Mosaic goes, I'll need to think about it. I checked it out, and it's vastly more Peggy oriented, which isn't bad necessarily, but I'm not as large a fan of Peggy's singing as I am of June's. Actually, maybe the Mosaic is just what I need to warm up to Peggy. I'll check back in with you soon to see if the offer still stands.

Catesta-- We need some photos here. Can we get one of your famous pictures in this thread? ;)

I went on a major June Christy lp buying spree about six months ago, and I love everything she did. Great voice, clear as a bell, and wonderful taste in her song selection. Especially great to play in hot weather. In my book, one of the greats.

Yeah, June's the bomb!

I read something a while back about her days with Kenton. She said when Kenton or Rugolo were scoring arrangements for the band, they used to pick a key in which it was just slightly uncomfortable for June to sing, so that when her voice would hit that breaking point---BAM! When her voice broke it still sounded so clear, but with more power---and more sexiness!

Rugolo seemed to do this on "Something Cool" also, on that line about her having "15 beaus who would ask her to the Ball"---man, I nearly die when she hits that note at the end. Her small group material was often less intense, but more smooth sounding to my ears.

Edited by jmjk

Mikeweil

'June's Got Rhythm' , is certainly available here, in Tokyo. If you want me to send you a copy just ask.

I think it would be about $15.00 plus air mail.

I'm a big fan of June Christy by the way, she's great. There are several other ' twof'r' cds available besides, the wonderful, 'The Song Is June'. ' Duets' is also out in a new 24 bit remaster but I don't know how much of an improvement it is over the original jewel box edition.

June Christy may not have been our greatest jazz singer, but her talent and poise were exceptional. Stan Kenton was a helluva talent scout-Anita O'Day, June and Chris Connor in a row. Something Cool is a terrific album, showing off her talents. I enjoy the Mosaic but agree that the transcriptions lack a level of energy that results in what I think is not her best work.

I read something a while back about her days with Kenton. She said when Kenton or Rugolo were scoring arrangements for the band, they used to pick a key in which it was just slightly uncomfortable for June to sing, so that when her voice would hit that breaking point---BAM!

FWIW, Norman Whitfield did the same thing to Marvin Gaye to accent the anguish in such songs as "I Heard It Through The Grapevine". Gaye claimed to have disliked the technique immensely, but the results speak for themselves, no?

I was just going to make the Whitfield/Gaye comparison myself, Jim. I've also read that Issac Hayes made Sam Moore sing at the top of his range on all of the Sam & Dave hits, and it nearly drove Moore crazy.

I just picked up "Something Cool" based on this thread, and I must say that it pleases me!

Guest ariceffron

Whoa- yeah those are some hot pictures. Who is the sax player in the really hot photo where shes w/ the rest of the band? It looks like Getz but my senses tell me bob cooper. June Christy is one of the only vocalists i can take. She was a true jazz singer, not like we have in the world today. Ie. the other day, i swear, i heard a vocal version of Blue bossa, where some stupid singer wrote some even stupider lyrics on top of the old melody. I seriously almost pulled over the car to vomit. June Christy wouldnt of done such a thing.