Schlippenbach-Parker-Guy-Lovens-Lytton

Steve Reynolds

recorded 8/26/99

Leo Records

CD LR 305

revisited this today

one long 77 minute improvisation - intitially Parker's tenor is very forward in the mix - once my ears adjust after the intitial 5-6 stirring introduction, the band adds and subtracts intruments with the drummers continually taking this music to very interesting places. Guy is in prime form, playing very with an ascerbic manner - whether it be with or without the bow. - and the pianist is in glorious form, imbuing the proceedings with splashes of stride, bop and Monk influenced lines - but the dual drummers - metal, skin and sticks - from quiet passages to noise that most anyone not versed in the music would be astounded by and terrified of if they happened to eneter a room where this was playing - I played it at a very high volume today - kept me glued for the full 77 minutes

I think I'm gettting better - still love Parker's tenor more than the soprano - although the central section (with Evan on soprano) has it's moments of power and beauty - but some of the tenor playing is some of his most powerful and fiercest on on record - none of this music is for the faint hearted - brings me back to the days when I was listening to this stuff for hours on end - sure did sound great filling up my place today - and my wife actually didn't mind it - well - when Parker wasn't blowin' hot fire from his horn - she likes the piano - well who wouldn't?

and please don't this should be in the funny rat thread - still don't like the idea of a separate thread for out-leaning music

Chuck - I enjoy his soprano playing on the 3 CD set - Strings with Evan Parker - and like it occasionally within more jazz based groups - but I tire of the circular breathing wonder music after a bit - seems that it is almost auto-pilot - as amzing as the sounds are that come out of his horn.

I just think his tenor playing is extraordinary

and please don't this should be in the funny rat thread - still don't like the idea of a separate thread for out-leaning music

I think I know what you meant. I agree.

I agree, too. Some of the rest of us want to hear what you all have to say. It tends to get lost up in there in that ultra-lengthy thread.

This record sounds intriguing.

To my shame, I own no Evan Parker. Is Monocerous the one to start with?

If you have a strong heart, deaf neighbors and a decent stereo - get it, put it on, turn it up and clean all the shit out of your ears. If you survive, I'll suggest more. :g

Otherwise, buy headphones and make an appointment with the doc for later.

I like this recording a bunch - I have it in the original "direct-to-disc" vinyl format.

Yeah Monoceros is a great solo disc to start with. For the group music, 50th Birthday Concert is a useful primer. & the very recent America 2003 is not too shabby. The 1970s stuff like Pakistani Pomade, The London Concert, Live at Unity Theatre is wonderful stuff indeed but might sound pretty harsh to a newcomer! But if you don't mind a tough listen, then....

e696085isp9.jpg

It may be not needed but heres another Evan Parker recommendation.

A double disc , each has a different trio (Schlippenbach/Guy & Lovens/Lytton).

Some excellent tenor & mesmerising soprano are included.

Edit - Sorry Nate got there just before me

Edited by Gary

I agree, too. Some of the rest of us want to hear what you all have to say. It tends to get lost up in there in that ultra-lengthy thread.

Stop bitchin' around willya! If folks would start threads on avant, free, whatever name you put to it, jazz all over this board there would have been no need for the funny rat in the first place... the funny rat got started and continued becasue of lack in will to discuss (I *don't* say lack of interest in) those kinds of music people call avantguarde, free jazz, etc.

On topic: I have the disc, but still need to spin it.

I somehow prefer Parker on tenor, too, for just the auto-pilot thing he does on soprano. I saw him live last year with Barry Guy and he did his auto-pilot thing on soprano, but when he played a tenor solo, it was so lyrical, and indeed his sound is gorgeous!

Among my very few discs that feature Parker, there is one I would recommend:

080.jpg

The duo both in a studio (disc 1) and live (disc 2) setting, rec. September 6 & 7, 2001, released on Intakt in 2003.

Stop bitchin' around willya! If folks would start threads on avant, free, whatever name you put to it, jazz all over this board there would have been no need for the funny rat in the first place... the funny rat got started and continued becasue of lack in will to discuss (I *don't* say lack of interest in) those kinds of music people call avantguarde, free jazz, etc.

I feel I am too used to free-wheeling Funny Rat discussion format, and feel a bit constrained by "formal" topics now. E.g. - do we discuss only 2 X 3 = 5 here, or Evan Parker in general, or difference between Parker's soprano and tenor playing? Can I discuss other projects of Schlippenbach, Guy, Lovens and Lytton here? Probably, Leo records discogrpahy? Can I bring up other solo soprano saxophone records - by Evan Parker and not only? If I can, how is it different form The Rat?

Too many questions to think about for a thread which will be viewed by 15 people and will die quietly in 2 days.

As for the album in question, IMO this is some of the least imaginative Parker's playing I've heard.

I feel I am too used to free-wheeling Funny Rat discussion format, and feel a bit constrained by "formal" topics now. E.g. - do we discuss only 2 X 3 = 5 here, or Evan Parker in general, or difference between Parker's soprano and tenor playing? Can I discuss other projects of Schlippenbach, Guy, Lovens and Lytton here? Probably, Leo records discogrpahy? Can I bring up other solo soprano saxophone records - by Evan Parker and not only? If I can, how is it different form The Rat?

Too many questions to think about for a thread which will be viewed by 15 people and will die quietly in 2 days.

As for the album in question, IMO this is some of the least imaginative Parker's playing I've heard.

Nothing wrong with starting a new thread.