How many times have you bought

I have bought "Kind of Blue" three times. First time was because the CD was so scuffed and skipping all the time. Second time was because it split in half. First time I bought it was 1996. Second time was 2001. I ordered another "copy" on iTunes today. That should hold up a bit better. Perhaps.

I bought Giant Steps twice. My first copy was probably spun over 1000 times. I swear to god that album got me through grades 8-10. It broke about a year ago and I've been so busy listening to other stuff. Having a distance from it now, I think I'm ready for a new one - perhaps with some alternate takes.

I mean.....I don't really need a copy because I have memorized each album in their entirety but I feel like I should always have them on hand at home if I'm entertaining folks that only know those CDs.

Is anyone willing to say they don't currently have a copy, but once did. <_<

I have a few albums that I bought an LP of, and later the CD.

Richard "Groove" Holmes - Soul Message

Richard "Groove" Holmes - Living Soul

Mike Nock - In Out & Around

Miles Davis - The Birth of the Cool

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (if you count getting the Miles/Coltrane box)

Happy the Man - self titled

Soft Machine - Third

Soft Machine - self titled

Soft Machine - Volume Two

Manfred Mann Chapter Three - self titled

Manfred Mann Chapter Three - Volume Two

The Beach Boys - Christmas Album

The Kingston Trio - The Last Month of the Year

The Four Freshmen - Voices in Love

The Four Freshmen - And Five Trombones

The Kingston Trio - At Large

The Kingston Trio - Here We Go Again

Manfred Mann - The Manfred Mann Album

Manfred Mann - The Five Faces of Manfred Mann

Manfred Mann - My Little Red Book of Winners

Manfred Mann - As Is

Hey, that's more than I realized!

In both cases, I had reissue LP's before I got original LP's (also received a clean original of KOB as a gift once). I think I've had at least three KOB CD versions including the boxed set, and two GS's. Generally, I've never been a CD audio upgrader unless bonus material was involved (although there have been exceptions).

Jazz Kat, you're a hoot. ;)

KOB: I've had lps and tapes and then the earliest US Cd, then the Gold cd, then the cheap cd, then the box set, then a DSD remastered Japanese cd, then the US SACD. I still have the Gold cd, the box set, the Japanese DSD cd, and the SACD. I listen to the DSD cd most often; I think it sounds wonderful.

Giant Steps: I've had LP, tape, early Atlantic cd, Heavyweight Champion box set. Just have the box set now.

All this started in the mid-seventies. I listen to KOB more than Giant Steps, by a goodly margin.

Edited by jazzbo

KOB: LP bought circa 1960 which I still have.

1st US cd release.

The improved cd release of a couple of years ago.

GS: LP bought circa 1968 which I still have.

The expanded cd release that has alternated takes.

Probably the body of work I have bought the most times are Louis Hot 5s and 7s.

I've bought them at least 6 times.

KOB. I bought the French issue back in 1959. Got the CBS digital reissue which I should not have.

Then got an US original vinyl stereo 6-eye version which sounds THE best so far.

Also have KOB in the Miles-Coltrane quintet box! Don't want any more now.

As for Giant Steps, had the original Atlantic LP when it came out in 1959, then the Heavyweight Champion box. That's two. Don't want any more either!

KOB:

1) On Lp from Columbia record club when it was first released

2) 1st cd

3) Gold cd

4) Newer cd release because of exra track (which I already had on-- I think-- the Miles on Columbia box set)

5) SACD

6) Miles/Coltrane box

7) New CD/DVD

Edited by medjuck

Only one GS. I think two KOB when the remasted edition came out.

Love Supreme twice, again when the remastered version came out.

Seven Steps on CD and now the box set.

Brubeck's Time Out a few times.

I have bought some rare BN LPs, and then bought the RVG later on, mostly Mobley and probably Hutcherson, depending on what is on the Select.

KOB, th4ree times. Vinyl in '86, CD in '97 and the new remaster (with corrected speed) when it came out.

GS: Just the CD once about three years ago if I remember right.

The only music I've purposely upgraded was Kind of Blue and Out to Lunch...and Out to Lunch was because I needed another RVG in a sale or something.

KOB: 4 times- on LP around 1984, CD probably a couple of years later (the version with the crappy circa 1969 photo-in-reverse... where's that thread about things being in original artwork?), Gold CD from early 90s, Miles & Trane boxed set.

GS: 3 times- on LP around 1985 (French reissue with a different sleeve), CD from early 90s, Atlantic boxed set

We need a Johnny-Appleseed-in-reverse to travel the countryside snatching up copies of that 1987 reissue of KOB, ridding the world of the hideous sound (and graphics) of that reissue, replacing them with better-sounding copies (which would be ANY other edition).

I've bought KOB three times, LP about 1983, hideous CD in 1987, better CD in 1998.

I've bought ALS on the dim-sounding early CD, the better-sounding later CD and the boxed set.

I've bought Giant Steps on LP in 1984, the early CD circa 1988 and the boxed set.

See a pattern here?

That's why I didn't feel bad about buying a used copy of the new double-disc "Round About Midnight" the other day.

I started buying jazz reissues in the CD era.

Kind of Blue: bought it 4 times:

- ca 1989: First CD release (awful muffled sound)

- 1995: Sony SBM-remastered gold CD

- ca 1997: Miles/Trane box set

- 2004: SACD

Giant steps: 3 times

- late 80's: first CD release

- mid 90's: complete Atlantic box set

- 2004: Mobile Fidelity remaster

Now I think about it...

5 times for the Birth of the Cool

On LP in the late 80s

On CD early 90s

On CD in 1998 (the 'Complete' version with the airshots included)

On CD in 2001 (the RVG edition)

and at some point the 'Young Miles' Proper box.

I bought Kind of Blue only once, back in high school, circa 1977-'78. I still have that copy.

I taped a friend's copy of Giant Steps back then and listened to it enough to practically memorize it. I never bought it until I got the Heavyweight Champion box.

On the other hand, I've bought some Monk albums three times or so on various rounds of reissues from LP to CD days.

:D

KOB:

1980s German Columbia vinyl

Miles/Coltrane CD box set

Miles/Coltrane Mosaic LP set

2-eye Columbia US pressing :tup

(bought last weekend) Classic Records 2LP 1995 remaster :tup

Giant Steps:

'That's Jazz' series UK 1970s vinyl

'Heavyweight Champion' vinyl box set

(recent purchase) UK London deep-groove mono original :tup

Birth of the Cool:

UK Capitol 1970s LP issue

1980s first CD reissue

Recent Capitol 'Complete' remastered CD pack :tup

Capitol 'T' series US first edition 12" :tup

Time to sell a few items.. :unsure:

Edited by sidewinder

I have not checked but I would say the album I bought the most often has been the Herbie Nichols Trio session.

First copy was a BN LP vinyl, a BN/UA issue. Loved the music, wanted more. Had to wait until BN reissued the Nichols twofer with the other trio sessions. But the sound on that one was pretty bad. That twofer was discarded.

Purchased the Japanese King LP reissue next.

Soon later I managed to get hold of a vinyl of the original 12inch BN, with the Lexington adress! A favorite disc!

Then the Mosaic vinyl box with all the new material, one of my very first Mosaic acquisitions.

And when I had a CD changer installed in my car, got the BN 3CD set so that I could listen to Herbie Nichols while driving!

Thinking about it, Larry Young's 'Unity' is probably my most prolific item. Not sure how this happened.. (other than I really like this one) :unsure:

French 'Pathe Marconi' DMM LP (1980s)

RVG Issue CD

NY USA original pressings mono and stereo

Japanese King LP

Mosaic Larry Young LP set.

:wacko: