Criss Cross Jazz Titles

LWayne

While in Seattle last week, I was able to pick up three used (promo) Criss Cross Jazz titles at Bud's Jazz Records on South Jackson (great store for older, out of print titles, by the way) as follows:

Edward Simon "Simplicitas"

Adam Rogers "Apparitions"

David Binney "Bastion of Sanity"

Have only listened to each of them once. While none of the three immediately commanded my attention from initial inspection, I would appreciate any feedback/reviews from the group.

Thanks,

LWayne :D

Edited by LWayne

Haven't heard any of them, but I did hear Adam Rogers in concert last week ago with the John Patitucci trio. They played one tune from Adam's recent Criss Cross CD (this one you bought) and Patitucci gave the CD a plug. Adam's a very fine player. Throughout the concert his playing often reminded me of Jim Hall's.

"Bastion of Sanity" is one of my favorite releases of this year. The rhythm section blew my mind, and the horns sound great together.

I don't have "Apparitions", but I plan on getting it sometime soon. I have "Allegory", which is Adam Rogers' previous release on Criss Cross featuring the same band. It smokes.

I haven't heard any of these, but Simon should be good.

I've got a couple of Criss Cross titles and I'm pretty careful about buying more. Some reviews I've read in the past heralded Criss Cross as the BN of today, I think it's not even close.

The one CC disc I'd recommend in particular is Johnny Coles' sole outing for this label. Is it in print still? Anyway, it's a good one.

"Bastion of Sanity" is one of my favorite releases of this year.  The rhythm section blew my mind, and the horns sound great together.

I don't have "Apparitions", but I plan on getting it sometime soon.  I have "Allegory", which is Adam Rogers' previous release on Criss Cross featuring the same band.  It smokes.

Ditto. Except I have apparitions too. Bastion of Sanity's best song is "Try."

matt

I have and really like Apparitions. I have all 3 of Rogers' Criss Cross dates (Art of the Invisible being my favorite), and I really admire them and return to them often. In each case it has taken me a while to warm to them completely, but they've always drawn me back in, and it's always proven worth it. Some of his compositions sound like explosions at the note factory, and when I first heard Rogers play (live w/ an early version of John Zorn's Electric Masada, believe it or not), I was unsure of my feelings (in-born fear of the super-virtuoso guitar player!). But over time I've really been drawn to the (somewhat-arch) beauty in his playing. Some of the compositions remain a bit less than memorable for my taste/to my ears, but the integrity of the group architecture and interplay wins out. Clarence Penn & Scott Colley, in my opinion, deserve particular credit for making some really tricky shifting time signatures/grooves sound really natural and swinging. Rogers is great on the nylon-string too. And yes, the soloists are smoking throughout. I would recommend it (and Art of the Invisible).

nathan

"Bastion of Sanity" is one of my favorite releases of this year

I completely agree with this statement. Binney's a really interesting composer, which sets this CD apart from the average release. If you end up digging 'Bastion of Sanity', also check out 'South' by Binney...it features Adam Rogers in addition to Chris Potter.