LPs that have never made it into CD

EKE BBB

2 hours ago, Joe said:

That Don Joseph Uptown record is still MIA in any digital format.

R-7060383-1432768195-7949.jpeg.jpg

Date: June 2 & 3, 1984
Label: Uptown

Don Joseph (ldr), Al Cohn (ts), Don Joseph (c), Bill Triglia (p), Red Mitchell (b), Joey Baron (d)

a. a-01    Ash Wednesday Blues - 4:54  (Don Joseph)
b. a-02    But Beautiful - 9:15  (Jimmy Van Heusen, Johnny Burke)
c. a-03    Indian Summer - 6:25  (Victor Herbert, Al Dubin)
d. b-01    Stumbling - 5:14  (Zez Confrey)
e. b-02    It Might As Well Be Spring - 8:54  (Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein II)
f. b-03    When Lights Are Low - 5:58  (Benny Carter, Spencer Williams)
All titles on:      Uptown LP 12": UP 27.23 — One Of A Kind   (1985)

There were plans several years ago to reissue it with additional tracks/alternate takes, and I was asked to write the notes, but things came up on the home front that forced me to drop out, and IIRC Sunnenblick then began to think of modifying his initial plan to include  (again IIRC) other material from Joseph and from other somewhat related figures like trombonist Milt Gold. I'm no longer part of the project; perhaps a message to Sunnenblick would yield more info.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

There were plans several years ago to reissue it with additional tracks/alternate takes, and I was asked to write the notes, but things came up on the home front that forced me to drop out, and IIRC Sunnenblick then began to think of modifying his initial plan to include  (again IIRC) other material from Joseph and from other somewhat related figures like trombonist Milt Gold. I'm no longer part of the project; perhaps a message to Sunnenblick would yield more info.

Good to know! Thanks Larry. I recall some, but not all of these details. I can only hope these plans finally do come to fruition.

2 hours ago, paul secor said:

For me, the Don Joseph Uptown LP is "perfect" as is. I'm not sure that I'd want to hear it with added material. More is not always better. (I should also mention that I love the original cover.)

Yes - but I need it on CD, since I don't have a turntable!!

While we're talking about the great Don Joseph, I should say that I recently spoke to a friend of mine who was a close friend of his on the island of staten.

He now claims that DJ never used heroin, only alcohol. I could have sworn that he said DJ used H back in the 50s or 60s, but now my friend denies it.

It could be that we were talking about another great SI musician we both played with who OD'd on H, but my friend has reversed what he's said on a few other things...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

For vinyl after 1970 (approx.), just use a turntable and connect it to the "line-in" on a computer*. I record the line-in with some free software called "MP3MYMP3", which includes WAV format. (I used to use Musicmatch Jukebox to record, but the creators of that shut it down and, after a hard-drive crash which lost it, I can't activate it anymore.)

Pre-1970 vinyl is almost always Rice Krispies sound. For some reason, nearly all LPs from before 1970 have been badly treated by their owners. They are invariably sold as "VG+", and the sellers usually say that they have no way of testing the LPs.

Of course, you can get USB turntables, but that is unnecessary and connection to the computer can be done through the line-in port.

* If the turntable only has "phono" output, a booster to "line level" is needed. My turntable already has line level output.

2 hours ago, Marzz said:

@romualdo I second the Bernie McGann for sure! I would have thought at least a download by now. He does have a few albums on Bandcamp for example, though most of those are (or were) available on cd.

The Australian Rufus label contains a lot of McGann material/CD releases. His other Emanem LP "Kindred Spirits" has been rereleased via Rufus.

http://www.rufusrecords.com.au/artists/mcgann.html