LPs that have never made it into CD

EKE BBB

On 11/30/2022 at 8:29 AM, EKE BBB said:

Primary

It is a crime that this great later-period Red Allen live (*) recording has never seen a CD reissue.

(*) correct me if this is not "the f****in' right order" of the adjectives, never got to know this part of the English grammar... :) 

This one is available on streaming services (and it is not a needledrop - I have the LP as well). 

https://open.qobuz.com/album/0886446277233

Good album! 

Edited by hopkins

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I don't necessarily agree. There are LPs I've had for more than 30 years. Sure, they might not be exactly in the condition they were, but they still play fine. A printed book will degrade over the years. Does that make me want to scan it to PDF? No, I like the feel of the cover, the handling of the LP and the awareness of gradual wear actually brings a sense of urgency to my listening session. In short, higher quality time in comparison to digital playback

Sure, old records, glorious objects. They encourage bonding and/,or fetishism. And definitely nostalgia, real or imaginary 

But how many of them cost $35.00 new?

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Once in a very blue moon, I'll scratch a record.  But that's extremely rare. 

That's what happens when you don't take your records to parties. 

A lonely record is a sad record. 

On 11/28/2022 at 3:50 PM, colinmce said:

I sort of figured as much about the tapes, but I'm guessing there's still some work that could be done. A similar wishlister would be a definitive CD edition of Alabama Feeling. The one that came out in the 90s was a dreadful needle drop. I'm sure there's an unplayed copy out there somewhere that could be put to work. It seems crazy to me that none of Arthur Doyle's work is available.

Yeah, agree it's a shame Doyle's music is out of print for the most part. I have had Alabama Feeling a few times and the pressing isn't exactly great, but surely someone could clean up the audio from a vinyl copy. I don't know if the tapes still exist anywhere -- maybe with Doyle's family in Alabama, but hard to say.

At least this one is available digitally, and legitimately: https://arthurdoyle.bandcamp.com/album/first-house-recorded-live-at-the-stone-july-11-2012

oh, and this one too: https://ayler-records.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-glenn-miller-caf-3

• 2 weeks later...