Your next Mosaic set

I'm on the fence with the Lou Donaldson set myself. On the one hand, I listened to him play with Blakey and Brownie on that Birdland concert and he was smokin'. But on the other hand, I've read pretty negative things about the sound quality.

Yes. I've read certain opinions on this board regarding the negative sound quality of the Lou Donaldson Mosaic. The sound seems a little 'narrow' but after a couple of tunes you no longer notice it. You do, however, notice and enjoy the hell out of Lou's playing.

Don't hesitate, the LD Mosaic is really great. I often play it. :tup

The music is great, but to my ears the sound isn't, it's maximized like hell with hardly any dynamics left. But if you don't mind that, get it, you won't regret it.

I don't that's true, Hans, but on my crappy old system it sounds fine ! ( Gnash, gnash :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I could restart this thread because I'm planning to put in another Mosaic order in about a week or two and I'm currently flip-flopping between getting the Gillespie or getting the Hodges. I don't really have much in my collection of either, and the sound clips for both seem pretty good to me (as do the lineups.) I guess right now I'm leaning a bit more toward the Hodges, I don't know.

RED NICHOLS & HIS FIVE PENNIES.

ssssshh.... this is secret!! (Jeff Healey is working on the project).

Listen to Jeff Healey every Monday on www.jazz.fm - 9PM US Eastern Standard Time.

Jazz from 1920s and 1930s, it's a great show. He is playing old scratchy 78s.

Here's a Jeff Healy tid bit: "Benny Goodman banged Helen Ward".

Keep a stiff upper lip!

:blush::blush::cool::cool:

The Dizzy Gillespie box set gets my vote and will probably be my next purchase.

The Condon Mob box seems to keep calling my name. I have 4 discs of Condon already so I'm wondering if I need more but it keeps calling. Does anyone out there have a set they's let go at a nice price? :rolleyes::D

Edited by mikelz777

• 7 months later...

The Condon Mob box seems to keep calling my name. I have 4 discs of Condon already so I'm wondering if I need more but it keeps calling. Does anyone out there have a set they's let go at a nice price? :rolleyes::D

That's funny, the Jazztet box keeps calling my name even though I have four of the albums...

But I'd also really like to get the Woody Herman Columbia, the Tal Farlow, the Ellinton small groups, and a bunch of others.

That's funny, the Jazztet box keeps calling my name even though I have four of the albums...

But I'd also really like to get the Woody Herman Columbia, the Tal Farlow, the Ellinton small groups, and a bunch of others.

Bruce, if you like the Jazztet, four is definitely not enough.

Excellent choice!!!! :party::party::party:

Before I'll place any other order to Mosaic, I decided to order the Complete Village Vangurd Sessions of Atr Pepper. This set has been under my focus for a long time and eventually I decided to pull the trigger.

7zlhjouioyu.jpg

This set is a treasure.

I'm pretty sure its gonna be the Horace Parlan. I've had my eye on that one for years, and I'm sure it ain't gonna be around much longer.

There are a bunch of those older sets I really want that I worry about hitting last chance all around the same time: the Horace Parlan, Hank Mobley, HRS Sessions (at least as much for the lady friend as for me), Gerald Wilson, Hodges and Max Roach.

Frankly, I also expect those selects to hit last chance a lot faster than the big boxes, both because they are more affordable and because you can find them in every record store around town (at least in NYC).

Bruce, if you like the Jazztet, four is definitely not enough.

I know. :(