Liberation Music Orchestra-NOT IN OUR NAME(Verve)

JSngry

Other than versions of "This Is Not America" & "Amazing Grace" that just don't connect with me, this is a beautiful album. The LMO has certainly "mellowed" over the years in terms of overtness, but there's a depth of feeling to Carla Bley's arrangements that the earlier works didn't necessarily have. Or maybe it's just the interpretations. The band is mostly younger players, some of whom probably weren't even born when the first LMO album was made. No matter - they're living in the aftermath, and they play like they get it. They no doubt do.

Carla Bley is a great arranger, and the program here is full of truly beautiful writing. The main soloists are Miguel Zenon on alto (whose playing here reminds me of nothing less than Charles McPherson's great work on Let My Children hear Music), Chris Cheek and Tony Malaby on tenors (Malaby plays with a great feeling for the music's subtleties, Cheek addresses its more blatant aspects; both do what they do most admirably, although its Malaby's near-haunting work that stics in my mind the most), Steve Cardenas on accoustic guitar (the delicacy of the accoustic is very much in sync with the overall mood of most of the music). the trumpet soloist is either Michael Rodriguez and/or Seneca Black. I don't know either player, but they too play to the music quite nicely.

Not for every taste, to be sure. There's very little "swinging". Otoh, there's next to no "raging" either. It's a mostly somber but deeply heartfelt set of music that speaks to our times soberly and with no small amount of sadness.

Highly recommended to all those who think they might share the sentiments of the music.

I'll probably get this soon. Haden was great to speak with in interview (a couple of years ago), and he is not afraid to let his notions of art and politics become intertwined. A beautiful cat, indeed, though some of his playing situations over the past some-odd years haven't been my favorite, his personality and contributions to the music are both hugely important. And he and Carla are like peanut butter and jelly.

Can't wait to get this one, and thanks for the review! What a lineup...Cheek & Malaby are two of my favorite young saxophonists, and Cardenas is another favorite young player (he has to great leader albums on Fresh Sounds, including one w/ Malaby). Matt Wilson is a great choice on drums too. Looking forward to this immensely.

nathan

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to this now for the first time. I'm a huge Haden fan, but run hot-and-cold on Carla Bley (though I've always found her LMO work superior). First impression of the album is great.

Re: Jim's initial comments, since I'm not familiar with either Cheek or Malby (the two tenors) can you point out who solos on which tracks - or otherwise how to distinguish between them?

Re: Jim's initial comments, since I'm not familiar with either Cheek or Malby (the two tenors) can you point out who solos on which tracks - or otherwise how to distinguish between them?

I love this record too. Yes, they have mellowed over the years, but there is some profoundly beautiful music on this album. I'm glad RDK asked about the tenor players - I can't tell them apart either, although I liked all of the tenor work.

Jim,

I definately agree that Malaby is the more subtle player. His harmonies are so much darker and his articulations are not as "obvious" as Cheek's. Also Cheek sound like a Chris Potter rip-off a lot of the time. I know you don't care for Potter, so it's not surprising you say Cheek goes for the obvious stuff.

Since apparently people here are not terribly in the know about young cats on this CD, Seneca Black is the former lead trumpeter with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. He recently quit that gig. I heard he was sick of NY but I suspect some other shit too. He was a wunderkind whom Wynton purportedly "discovered," much like Ryan Kisor who is still the 2nd tpt in the LCJO and still fails to impress me that much. As for Michael Rodriguez, I first became aware of him on a very independent release by a drummer named Pete Zimmer. Rodriguez is a monster player and I suspect it is his soloing on the America the Beautiful suite (part 2 or 3).

I can't believe no one mentioned the addition of Matt Wilson. What a perfect choice! Wilson's arsenal of styles and bags he can dip into is unmatched among drummers under 50 today (IMO).

Also, gotta love Joe Daley's tuba solo on part 3 of America the Beautiful (Lift Every Voice and Sing)!

Matt

• 4 weeks later...