***Joe Henderson***

Templejazz

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be losing my mind but... Was there a European release of Live Joe amongst others from a festival/radio station. Can't find anything here and Joe is mentioned too often for my skills in searching. It must have been here I was reading about it.

c

Joe Henderson was recorded quite a bit in concert in Europe.

From the 60s, there are several broadcasts with the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis big band that have been released.

There is a live broadcast of Henderson with Chick Corea from the 1981 Montreux Festival (Stretch records CD).

Maybe you are thinking of the Paris Reunion Band with Woody Shaw, Nat Adderley, Grachan Moncur III et al? They made several live recordings in Europe in the mid-late 1980s that have been released.

There is the CD (LP) on Red Records from the Genova Jazz Festival in Italy from 1987: "An Evening with Joe Henderson."

There is a concert from 1994 released on Jazz Door ("Live"). The CD claims that it was recorded in the US, but I believe that discographers think it more likely from Europe.

I am sure that there are more.

Thanks guys, Thought I was losing it. Anyone know where I can pick up a copy? Any of your germanic contacts ubu?

Thanks for the info John

I have some of these

"An Evening with Joe Henderson." and the concert from 1994 released on Jazz Door ("Live").

Sad to say I have very little Thad Jones-Mel Lewis big band and the Paris Reunion Band with Woody Shaw, Nat Adderley, Grachan Moncur III has me intrigued any recs?

Sad to say I have very little Thad Jones-Mel Lewis big band and the Paris Reunion Band with Woody Shaw, Nat Adderley, Grachan Moncur III has me intrigued any recs?

Too bad the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis is OOP now. It had the best of that very good band in better sound than the original releases! Great Mosaic job on that one!

As for the Paris Reunion Band, I don't think it managed to live up to the addition of talents there!

I had the three first albums 'French Cooking', 'For Klook' and 'Hot Licks' and failed to appreciate them.

Gave up after that!

Can't find anything better on the Kleinschuster Sextet CDs - just this here, with a few more links, in case:

http://www.jazzinaustria.at/jazz-jazzlinks.php?id=REC

I got both from the now defunct Vienna store Red Octopus (it's still listed on that links page).

Otherwise, you might try and contact org member jug21 - he works in a Vienna music store and might be able to offer further leads (at least he worked in a music store in Vienna in summer 2007, when we spent our holidays there, right at the time when Vol. 2 of these sets came out!)

Can't find anything better on the Kleinschuster Sextet CDs - just this here, with a few more links, in case:

I got both from the now defunct Vienna store Red Octopus (it's still listed on that links page).

Otherwise, you might try and contact org member jug21 - he works in a Vienna music store and might be able to offer further leads (at least he worked in a music store in Vienna in summer 2007, when we spent our holidays there, right at the time when Vol. 2 of these sets came out!)

Yes, I got my copy from Red Octopus. They were very helpful in getting me through their on-line ordering process. What a shame they've closed!

IMO both volumes are excellent and deserve to be more widely available.

Edited by Head Man

Yes, I got my copy from Red Octopus. They were very helpful in getting me through their on-line ordering process. What a shame they've closed!

I obtained mine from Dusty Groove. However, that's a long time ago.

Anyone know about these two recordings? Both of these are Japanese issues. I have not heard nor seen these recordings.

If you do have these, what do you think of them?

Sunrise in Tokyo (1971)

All About Dancing Mist (1972)

Sunrise is out on a boot label (not sure where its origins are, if it ever was a "legit" release):

http://www.jazzloft.com/p-42568-sunrise-in-tokyo.aspx

... hm, looking it up, the discography here suggests it's one and the same (August 5, 1971). Originally on Fontana in 1971 and then on Philips in 1972 under the second title. Very weird!

But then if you check here, it seems the 1972 release may have been under Masabumi Kikuchi's name, rather than under Henderson's.

I obtained mine from Dusty Groove. However, that's a long time ago.

They indeed ought to be widely available!

Dusty still lists both (out of stock) but I could only find them via google, a search for Kleinschuster on the site itself didn't turn them up!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking back through this thread, I'm surprised the following recordings have not been mentioned:

As a leader:

Mirror Mirror

1980 session with Chick Corea, Ron Carter and Billy Higgins (on Verve)

As a sideman:

Idle Moments

1963 Grant Green session with Bobby Hutcherson, Duke Pearson, Bob Cranshaw, Al Harewood (Blue Note)

Solid

1964 Grant Green session with McCoy Tyner, James Spaulding, Bob Cranshaw, Elvin Jones (Blue Note)

Re-Entry

Live 1965/66 Horace Silver recordings with either Carmell Jones or Woody Shaw (32 Records)

Stick-Up

1966 Bobby Hutcherson session with McCoy Tyner, Herbie Lewis, Billy Higgins (Blue Note)

All highly recommended!

• 3 weeks later...

You MUST acquire "State of the Tenor", his blue note release from the mid eighties. In my opinion, its his greatest album ever.

I hear the version of 'Beatrice' on this one is excellent.

i didn't know he made a version from beatrice, i must hear that stuff

You MUST acquire "State of the Tenor", his blue note release from the mid eighties. In my opinion, its his greatest album ever.

I hear the version of 'Beatrice' on this one is excellent.

i didn't know he made a version from beatrice, i must hear that stuff

It is THE definitive version of the tune IMHO. That one tune is worth the cost of the album.

Wonderful.....get it!