Ron Blake - Sonic Tonic

Jim Alfredson

I finally picked this one up. As many of you know, Ron appears on our first disc (Waiting For The Boogaloo Sisters...) and I've always loved his playing. We had the pleasure of using him as a sideman at the Clearwater Jazz Festival in 2003 as well.

Anyway, his new disc is KILLIN'! Some very inspired playing... this is what jazz is about! Infusing current rhythms and ideas into the music. This is not fusion at all. This is (mainly) acoustic jazz doing a really cool, modern thing.

Ron Blake - Sonic Tonic

Take a step away from the re-issue rack for a moment and check out something new!!!

He's definitely got some Stanley in there. But I think he further proves his range on this new disc.

To me, he's a very very subtle player. The things he does take some time to sink in before you realize the brilliance of it, the musicality, the SOUL. At first listen, a lot of people miss what's going on.

Kinda like my brother Joe! :)

It is way better than his last album. Michael Caine is the main reason. Also the tunes are more interesting harmically. Ron could have had a smash hit on smooth jazz radio if he had cheezed this album up a little more! Probably did really well in AAA markets. I played it a few times. But a lot I thought was senseless/uninteresting jamz/groovz.

Matt

I've only had the CD for a couple of days, and had the chance to listen only in the car. But I've been enjoying it. Ron has a beautiful saxophone sound; full and clear without being harsh or edgy (except when he wants it to). Interesting mix on the record. It sounds like the drums are miked up close, and the bass drum and bass sounds are pretty punchy, as opposed to records with a more conventional acoustic jazz mix.

I haven't yet checked out the second disc with the re-mixes. Has anyone listened to these? What do you think?

later that same day...

It finally occurred to me that "Dance of Passion" is a Johnny Griffin tune from a CD of the same name:

d83558q2532.jpg

(BTW this cover could be on the sexy album covers thread)

What jogged my memory is that Blake uses almost the same arrangement as JG, including the instrumentation of fr. horn, trombone and tuba in addition to the sax and rhythm.

Edited by DukeCity

• 1 month later...

UP because I still think this record kicks ass! And I just heard that Ron joined the SNL band! That must be a nice gig.

I think my favorite tunes off this disc are "Invocation" and "Dance of Passion". That is interesting about the Johnny Griffin arrangement, but does not surprise me. Ron is a big Griffin fan.

• 1 month later...