***Weather Report Corner***

Guy Berger

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw WR a bunch of times from 1972 through 1983. I disagree that they declined in their later years, but you can't really go by the studio recordings. When Jaco joined and they got Erskine on board they really hit a peak, very different from the Vitous/Gravatt band,but just as intense. Wayne was going through a lot of personal shit in the late 70's-early 80's (read Mercer's bioor Glasser's bio of Zawinul) and didn't participate that much in the studio, but onstage he could be devastating. There are tons of boots floating around in the blogosphere and youtube if you're interested. The two CD set of unreleased live shows has a ton of great playing on it. It was Jason Marsalis actually who persuded me to re-examine the late WR stuff,Night Passage, Sportin' Life, the second eponymous, etc. Domino Theory.They're all good. Bands never last forever, Weather Report lasted longer than most (15 years) and hit some incredible peaks along the way.

Trpt2345

• 2 weeks later...

I like HW but it's not my favorite by any means.

I sort of agree, but there sure was a lot of talent involved. I remember the first or second album with Don Un Romo and liking it. Electric something? I think maybe they were 'done in' by the egos involved, but maybe I'm wrong---and I don't want to start trouble. Anyway I appreciate the great talent involved and enjoyed all their separate doings very much. I guess I'll leave it there b/c I don't know that much more.

• 1 month later...

Has the very first album been remastered as well or not? I have albums #2-6 I think, plus "Heavy Weather", "Live and Unreleased" and "Live in Tokyo", and that first one I'd like to get, but the entries on Amazon are confusing, Amazon.fr has a 1992 CD and Amazon.de has several editions (including one that is not availble but is listed with a March 2009 release date), but all of them look like old Legacy CDs do:

51bgM1i9VFL._SS500_.jpg

I just have the old one of Heavy Weather. I really don't listen to that album much, having heard it so much in the seventies and eighties.

I think the mastering is "okay" on the first one. Would buy a new one if I could.

I just have the old one of Heavy Weather. I really don't listen to that album much, having heard it so much in the seventies and eighties.

I think the mastering is "okay" on the first one. Would buy a new one if I could.

Yeah, I was sort of waiting for a new one to appear in the sales bins, as that's where I picked up "Sweetnighter", "Tale Spinnin'", "Black Market" etc, all in their new masterings and all pretty cheap... but I always felt I should fill up the gap and get the first album, as these "beginnings" of fusion music and jazz rock or whatever you want to call it, are highly fascinating to me (while much of what comes later is quite completely beyond my interest... muscular chops show-offs etc... though I love the Zawinul Syndicate of roughly Joe's final ten years, got some glorious videos off TV, too! Richard Bona is great, but Joe was always the main attraction, with his "invented" world/roots/folk stuff, the great rhythms, his crazy vocoder vocalising etc.)

Guest youmustbe

Joe was one of my idols...If not the biggest one, my being white and all that. First act I booked. Have tons of photos of him, with him, with him and Maxine...But, sorry to say, Joe was so coked out as well as stone drunk, the last 20 or so years of his life...plus that Austrian shit...he really thought Hitler was the MAN!...Joe, God bless him, but sorry to say, for a man that married a Black woman at a time when it was not socially acceptable...Joe hated Jews! Go figure

But, that's showbiz! And human nature. Take it or leave it. Most of these guys weren't, as Dexter said about Monk..'Not exactly the boy next door'.

Joe was one of my idols...If not the biggest one, my being white and all that. First act I booked. Have tons of photos of him, with him, with him and Maxine...But, sorry to say, Joe was so coked out as well as stone drunk, the last 20 or so years of his life...plus that Austrian shit...he really thought Hitler was the MAN!...Joe, God bless him, but sorry to say, for a man that married a Black woman at a time when it was not socially acceptable...Joe hated Jews! Go figure

But, that's showbiz! And human nature. Take it or leave it. Most of these guys weren't, as Dexter said about Monk..'Not exactly the boy next door'.

???? Are you for real ? Sorry ... not believing you ... not capable of believing what I'm reading , more precisely.

Guest youmustbe

Human beings are complicated and not what we would like them to be because we like their art. Being around Miles, now that was something, as anyone who was around him can tell you. Or my man Ahmad Jamal when the Mob tried to kill him, with me in the car with him!