Mosaic Complete Master jazz piano series

ASNL77

How good is this set? I can't find any topic on it. What do you think of the music? If anybody could post the discography, it would be fab. I have the oportunity to buy the LP set but I am not quite sure about the music on this set and what a fair price would be. Thanks

Edited by ASNL77

Here's a link to the Mosaic website discography of the cd set.

In print cd set discography on Mosaic's webstie

I enjoy this set a lot, but I'm a PIANO LOVER. If you love piano and piano playing I have no fear you would like this one a lot. I can't imagine NOT being a piano lover, so I can't put myself into an objective stance to give a less biased opinion!

Edited by jazzbo

Here's a link to the Mosaic website discography of the cd set.

In print cd set discography on Mosaic's webstie

I enjoy this set a lot, but I'm a PIANO LOVER.  If you love piano and piano playing I have no fear you would like this one a lot.  I can't imagine NOT being a piano lover, so I can't put myself into an objective stance to give a less biased opinion!

Sorry Jazzbo, this is not the set I was thinking of. I meant the set MR6-140 (Complete Master Jazz Piano series) which has been out of print for a long time now. Thanks anyway. This one is also in my target list.

Edited by ASNL77

"During a five-year period (1969-74) the Master Jazz label recorded 11 swing-based pianists in solo settings. Although the label went under later in the decade, the recordings were treasured by collectors. Mosaic, on this four-CD set, brought back all of the music from the original five-volume Master Jazz Piano series, adding two unissued selections and a full album released separately of Ram Ramirez's playing. In addition to Ramirez (who is heard on 13 numbers), there are 13 performances by Earl Hines, four apiece from Claude Hopkins, Cliff Jackson, Keith Dunham, Sonny White, Teddy Wilson, Cliff Smalls and the obscure Gloria Hearn, eight by Jay McShann and two from Sir Charles Thompson. Most of these pianists (other than Hines and Wilson) rarely recorded during this period in their careers, making this box very important both musically and historically."

The Complete Master Jazz Piano Series MD4 140

DISC 1

Earl Hines (4/1/69)

feelin' fine blues,i got rhythm,empty studio blues,easy to love,no blues today*, panama*, (*= previously unissued)

(6/2/71)

blue skies,blue moon,blue fox,you took advantage of me,japanese sandman,mood indigo,

(11/27/72)

always

DISC 2

Claude Hopkins (3/11/69)

57th street blues,anything for you,56th street blues,i got rhythm

Cliff Jackson (3/26/69)

memphis blues,squeeze me,arkansas blues,i got rhythm

Keith Dunham (1/21/71)

blue stripe blues,rosetta,how long has this been going on,carolina shout

Sonny White (4/10/69)

blues for Betty C.,i want a little girl,i got rhythm,memories of you

DISC 3

Jay McShann (6/27/69)

friday strut,lady be good,jay's boogie woogie,memories of you,

(3/6/72))

you can depend on me,under the moonlight starlight blue,slow drag,tenderly

Teddy Wilson (3/12/72)

one o'clock jump,satin doll,honeysuckle rose,teddy's blues

Cliff Smalls (5/9/70)

blues in the afternoon,what is this thing called love,god bless the child,the hour of parting

DISC 4

Sir Charles Thompson (11/16/70)

black blues,tunis in

Gloria Hearn (8/23/72)

wait a little while,just squeeze me,cute,it could happen to you

Ram Ramirez (2/27/73)

cold hand blues,mad about you,hennessy,lover,you ain't gonna bother me no more, li'l darlin',lover man,

(1/9/74))

i just refuse to sing the blues,janet,martell,fascinatin' rhythm,prelude to a kiss,i just refuse to sing the blues (vocal version)

Edited by Jim R

Sorry ASN, I wasn't quite awake yet.

I have the cd version of that Master Jazz set.

I would never NOT buy a Master Jazz session. This is a great set. I also highly recommend the Earl Hines cds that are NOT a part of this set (there is only one track shared) and the Roy Eldgridge, Jimmy Rushing. . . . Anything on that label I think is high quality jazz produced with a level head.

To repeat what already has been said. If you are interested in piano jazz, and exploring pianists each with a unique style, some of whom recorded very sparsely if at all as solo pianists, then there is very much to enjoy. In other words, defintely recommended

Sackville and Chiarosuco also recorded a few of the pianists recorded by Master Jazz and these reissues are of course available at a more reasonable price.

• 8 years later...

This set doesn't seem to get mentioned too often, maybe because it has been OOP for so long. In fact, I had no knowledge of its existence prior to seeing it on ebay. I bought it with my Christmas money for $120, which I think is a fair price. I don't have much by any of the musicians involved, and the tracks by pianists I'd never even heard of piqued my interest even further.

It's been a few years since I owned this set, but I remember it being a mixed bag. Keith Dunham is not a very engaging pianist, and Wilson, Hines, and to a lesser extent McShann and Hopkins were already, by this time, well-documented on recordings. On the other hand Sonny White, Ram Ramirez, and Cliff Smalls have never been well-known, but all three are worth hearing

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I had this set but sold it a long time ago because at the time I thought it was a mixed bag - some great and some not so great pianists, or pianists who were past their prime. As I said that was a long time ago (I think it was not long after it came out) and I'm not sure I made the right decision back then. I've been searching for audio samples of the music to see/hear if my feelings were right or not, but I couldn't find any. Any suggestions?