Philadelphia concerts

alankin

This just in!!! :excited:

Friday, April 23

5:00 p.m. - 8:45 p.m.

Philadelphia Museum of Art - Art After 5 - Free after museum admission

Wayne Shorter

Saxophonist and composer Wayne Shorter is a living legend in jazz. His great body of work as a musician and composer for such illustrious groups as Art Blakey�s Jazz Messengers, Miles Davis�s famous mid-1960s quintet, and fusion supergroup Weather Report is enough to ensure him a spot in the Jazz Hall of Fame. He will premiere a new work inspired by the Museum�s collection. This program, including the commissioning and presentation, is made possible by a grant from the Philadelphia Music Project, a program of the Philadelphia Center for Arts and Heritage, funded by The Pew Charitable Trusts and administered by The University of the Arts

I'll just drive up from D.C. and spend the day at the museum. Hope to hook up with some fellow board members.

New composition beinng premiered? I'm there.

I called and they said it would be the usual set-up. Please do keep us posted if they change their minds and use a different venue.

Bertrand.

I can't believe the PMA isn't going to have a separate admission for that event. The museum will be MOBBED. I'm thinking I'll cut out of work early that day just to get a good seat.

The Missus and I will look to be part of the mob. Shorter is, what, 75 now?

Come on, Ron--you haven't been to anything lately! Plus, getting down to center city will give you a chance to extract Allen Lowe (or was it his wife? Or his wallet?) from my basement.

Me too. I'll see you there!

I can't believe the PMA isn't going to have a separate admission for that event. The museum will be MOBBED. I'm thinking I'll cut out of work early that day just to get a good seat.

Me too . . . maybe. blush.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So last night @ the Giuseppi Logan show Mark from Ars Nova Workshop announced that they had received their funding grant for a series featuring Roscoe Mitchell and Henry Threadgill for the Fall/Winter 2010/11 season. At least two shows featuring Roscoe and two shows for Henry. Possibly more.

• 2 weeks later...

This just in!!! :excited:

Friday, April 23

5:00 p.m. - 8:45 p.m.

Philadelphia Museum of Art - Art After 5 - Free after museum admission

Wayne Shorter

Saxophonist and composer Wayne Shorter is a living legend in jazz. His great body of work as a musician and composer for such illustrious groups as Art Blakey�s Jazz Messengers, Miles Davis�s famous mid-1960s quintet, and fusion supergroup Weather Report is enough to ensure him a spot in the Jazz Hall of Fame. He will premiere a new work inspired by the Museum�s collection. This program, including the commissioning and presentation, is made possible by a grant from the Philadelphia Music Project, a program of the Philadelphia Center for Arts and Heritage, funded by The Pew Charitable Trusts and administered by The University of the Arts

I'll be there.

Art After 5 Presents: Wayne Shorter Quartet

Saxophonist and composer Wayne Shorter is a living legend. His stellar work with Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers, Miles Davis’ famously experimental mid-1960s quintet, and jazz-fusion pioneers Weather Report established Shorter as one of the most important American jazz musicians of his generation. On Friday, April 23, Shorter will premiere a new composition inspired by the Museum's collection.

The Wayne Shorter Quartet in Conversation with Tom Moon

Prior to the performance, Shorter and the members of his band—pianist Danilo Perez, bassist John Patitucci, drummer Brian Blade—will participate in a panel discussion moderated by music journalist Tom Moon. Don’t miss this rare opportunity to hear Shorter and his quartet discuss their influences and creative processes—and Shorter’s new composition.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Discussion: 3:00-4:30pm

http://www.pcah.us/music/events/wayne-shorter-quartet-and-tom-moon/

Concert: 5:45pm

http://www.philamuseum.org/artafter5/

Wayne Shorter Quartet - Bio/photos/audio samples:

http://imnworld.com/artists/detail/49/wayne-shorter

This program, including the commissioning and presentation, is made possible by a grant from the Philadelphia Music Project, a program of the Philadelphia Center for Arts and Heritage, funded by The Pew Charitable Trusts and administered by The University of the Arts.

No freakin' way! *smacking head*

Remember, you distrust and tend always to side with the accused...say those words, and I'll see you at the museum.

I have jury duty tomorrow! blink.gif

I'm an ex-prosecutor, remember? rolleyes.gif That usually gets me 'scused by the defense. robotfr.gif