Philadelphia concerts

alankin

• 3 weeks later...

This looks like it could be really good.....

http://www.crossroadsconcerts.org/?p=867

Saturday, April 11, 2009 • 7:30 pm at Calvary Church

Belasco/Jamal Trio

Debo Band

Philadelphia vibraphone and marimba player Khan Jamal has long been known to jazz musicians and critics for his technical virtuosity and musical leadership, but his appetite for all musical styles (finding the term “jazz” limiting, he prefers to describe his work as “creative improvised music”) and lack of taste for self-marketing have meant that his 40-year musical career is much less known to general audiences. While often been pigeonholed as an avant-gardist, his music is both sophisticated and highly accessible, combining a strong sense of melody with dazzling harmonic and tonal effects. At Crossroads, he will perform with percussionist Lenny Belasco and a bass player (to be determined).

The 8-piece Boston-based Debo Band brings back the classic tunes that were popular in the dance clubs of “Swinging Addis” in the 1960s and early 70s. This was an amazing time, when traditional African polyrhythms and pentatonic scales blended with the inspiration of American jazz and funk, backed up with the instrumentation of an Eastern European brass band. Led by jazz saxophonist and ethnomusicologist Danny Mekonnen, and featuring the smooth lead vocals of Bruck Tesfaye, Debo Band wants you to get your groove on, old-school, Ethiopian style.

More information

Khan Jamal: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=7956

Debo Band: http://www.myspace.com/deboband

Ticket pricing

Standard price: $13

Special Supporters: $18

Discount price: $8 (for students, seniors, or if you can’t afford to come otherwise)

Children under 12: $5

Calvary United Methodist Church

48th Street and Baltimore Avenue

Philadelphia, PA 19143

(use 48th Street entrance)

http://www.calvary-center.org

Edited by J.H. Deeley

• 3 weeks later...

The Philadelphia Music Project has announced grant recipients for 2009. Among the winners are these two look promising....

Ars Nova Workshop was awarded $45,000 to present “Free/Form: Composer Portraits,” a six-concert series that will feature the music of trumpeter Don Cherry and saxophonist Tim Berne. The series will showcase new arrangements, many Philadelphia premieres, and rare appearances from past and present collaborators in performances by the Ken Vandermark Large Ensemble; Karl Berger’s “In the Spirit of Don Cherry”; Steven Bernstein’s Millennial Territory Orchestra; Dave Douglas & Brass Ecstasy; Collide Quartet; Philadelphia-based pianist Matt Mitchell; and Adobe Probe and Big Satan, a large ensemble and trio led by Mr. Berne.

and

International House Philadelphia received $45,000 to present “Anti-Jazz: The New Thing Revisited,” a four-concert series that will feature some of the leading and founding figures of the Free Jazz Movement. The series will pay homage to a generation of iconoclasts while revisiting a historic moment defined by intense artistic experimentation and political upheaval. “Anti-Jazz,” presented in collaboration with Ars Nova Workshop, will feature performances by Marshall Allen and the Sun Ra Arkestra; Bill Dixon and the Exploding Star Orchestra; Bobby Bradford, Frode Gjerstad, and Circulasione Totale Orchestra; and the Art Ensemble of Chicago.

more here...

http://www.philadelphiamusicproject.org/grantees.php

Holy crap. I overlooked this one ...

Philadelphia Museum of Art was awarded $45,000 to commission renowned saxophonist/composer Wayne Shorter for a work inspired by the Museum’s East Asian art collection, to be performed by the Wayne Shorter Quartet (Shorter plus pianist Danilo Perez, bassist John Patitucci, and drummer Brian Blade) on PMA’s Art After 5 series.

Whoa--that sounds awesome. I wonder when it will happen (the performance)?

Philadelphia Museum of Art was awarded $45,000 to commission renowned saxophonist/composer Wayne Shorter for a work inspired by the Museum’s East Asian art collection, to be performed by the Wayne Shorter Quartet (Shorter plus pianist Danilo Perez, bassist John Patitucci, and drummer Brian Blade) on PMA’s Art After 5 series.

We need to get one of those commissions for organissimo. Peter, call you-know-who. :w

Allen Lowe?

:tophat:

We need to get one of those commissions for organissimo. Peter, call you-know-who. :w

No, I just took him to catch the train down to the Franklin Institute--he's been commissioned to compose a work inspired by the Giant Heart. :eye::eye:

I mean the other you-know-who. ;)

By the way, we had a great time at Ortlieb's last night. Allen played throughout most of the two jam session sets, and everyone else who showed up was also quite impressive. You should check it out some time, if you haven't already.

Allen Lowe?

:tophat:

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow night!

Ars Nova Workshop presents:

Wednesday, May 6, 8pm

BRÖTZMANN / WAITS DUO

Peter Brötzmann, reeds

Nasheet Waits, drums

Philadelphia Art Alliance, 251 S. 18th Street

$12 General Admission

The founding father of the European Free Jazz movement, German saxophonist

Peter Brötzmann has made important contributions with Last Exit (with Bill

Laswell, Sonny Sharrock and Ronald Shannon Jackson), Die Like a Dog (with

William Parker, Hamid Drake and Toshinori Kondo) and his Chicago- and

Scandinavian-based Tentet with Ken Vandermark. He returns to Philadelphia in

duo with the exceptional drummer Nasheet Waits, best know for his work with

Andrew Hill, the Fred Hersch Trio and Jason Moran's Bandwagon.

Advance tickets still available at http://www.arsnovaworkshop.com.

At the Mann Music Center....

Thursday, July 30 | 8PM

John Axelrod, conductor

Herbie Hancock, piano

Lang Lang, piano

DVOŘÁK Carnival Overture

VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Concerto for Two Pianos and Orchestra

BERNSTEIN "Mambo," from West Side Story

GERSHWIN Rhapsody in Blue, for two pianos and orchestra

RAVEL Mother Goose Suite, for piano four-hands

Solo and duo piano works to be announced from the stage

At the Mann Music Center....

Thursday, July 30 | 8PM

John Axelrod, conductor

Herbie Hancock, piano

Lang Lang, piano

DVOŘÁK Carnival Overture

VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Concerto for Two Pianos and Orchestra

BERNSTEIN "Mambo," from West Side Story

GERSHWIN Rhapsody in Blue, for two pianos and orchestra

RAVEL Mother Goose Suite, for piano four-hands

Solo and duo piano works to be announced from the stage

Ordered tickets for this one last week (along with 3 other Philadelphia Orchestra concerts at the Mann this summer).

Tonight. Wednesday, May 13, 8pm (until 2am)

A BENEFIT FOR DOMINIC WESTON-WILKERSON

The Fire, 412 W. Girard Avenue

$5 suggested donation

Last week, Dominic Weston-Wilkerson, son of famed Philadelphia drummer G.

Calvin Weston, was killed in a hit-and-run accident. Weston-Wilkerson would

have turned 19 years old last Sunday. Please join us tonight for a special

benefit and fundraiser to help cover funeral expenses.

Those scheduled to appear include Jamaaladeen Tacuma, Doc Gibbs, Tom Spiker,

Jeff Monjack, Marco Benevento, Chuck Treece, Terry Lawson, Kenny Taylor,

Tony Catastrophe, DJ Frosty, Tony Cosby, Wadude, Darrol Burges, J. Michael

Harrison, Reed Mathus, members of As Human, Dion Paci, Ryatt, Jason

Fraticelli, Tim Conley, and many more surprise quests. This is an open jam

session and all musicians and friends are welcome to come perform and

support.

In addition to a night of music, there will also be a raffle featuring items

from Ropeadope Records, Ars Nova Workshop, and the Philadelphia Eagles,

including an official Eagles helmet signed by the entire team.

Direct donations can be sent via Paypal to dominikaweston@gmail.com.

• 2 weeks later...

International House Philadelphia received $45,000 to present “Anti-Jazz: The New Thing Revisited,” a four-concert series that will feature some of the leading and founding figures of the Free Jazz Movement. The series will pay homage to a generation of iconoclasts while revisiting a historic moment defined by intense artistic experimentation and political upheaval. “Anti-Jazz,” presented in collaboration with Ars Nova Workshop, will feature performances by Marshall Allen and the Sun Ra Arkestra; Bill Dixon and the Exploding Star Orchestra; Bobby Bradford, Frode Gjerstad, and Circulasione Totale Orchestra; and the Art Ensemble of Chicago.

more here...

http://www.philadelphiamusicproject.org/grantees.php

The Bill Dixon and the Exploding Star Orchestra show has been confirmed. :tup

Tonight. Wednesday, May 13, 8pm (until 2am)

A BENEFIT FOR DOMINIC WESTON-WILKERSON

The Fire, 412 W. Girard Avenue

$5 suggested donation

Last week, Dominic Weston-Wilkerson, son of famed Philadelphia drummer G.

Calvin Weston, was killed in a hit-and-run accident. Weston-Wilkerson would

have turned 19 years old last Sunday. Please join us tonight for a special

benefit and fundraiser to help cover funeral expenses.

Those scheduled to appear include Jamaaladeen Tacuma, Doc Gibbs, Tom Spiker,

Jeff Monjack, Marco Benevento, Chuck Treece, Terry Lawson, Kenny Taylor,

Tony Catastrophe, DJ Frosty, Tony Cosby, Wadude, Darrol Burges, J. Michael

Harrison, Reed Mathus, members of As Human, Dion Paci, Ryatt, Jason

Fraticelli, Tim Conley, and many more surprise quests. This is an open jam

session and all musicians and friends are welcome to come perform and

support.

In addition to a night of music, there will also be a raffle featuring items

from Ropeadope Records, Ars Nova Workshop, and the Philadelphia Eagles,

including an official Eagles helmet signed by the entire team.

Direct donations can be sent via Paypal to dominikaweston@gmail.com.

Suspect surrenders after fatal hit-and-run

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dncrime...it-and-run.html

A North Philadelphia man has been charged with homicide by vehicle for a fatal hit and run earlier this month that killed the son of a prominent city jazz drummer.

At 1:30 a.m. today, police said Donta Johnson, 25, turned himself in at the roundhouse and claimed he was the driver of the minivan that struck Calvin Dominique Weston-Wilkerson around 2 a.m. May 7 at 9th Street and Roosevelt Boulevard.

Weston-Wilkerson, 18, was the son of city jazz drummer Calvin Weston, who has toured with such notables as Billy Martin of Medeski, Martin and Wood and played on movie soundtracks like “Get Shorty.”

Just a head's up for all Philly organissimites:

In anticipation of organissimo's June 16th appearance at Chris' Jazz Cafe, our very own Jim Alfredson will be interviewed by Jeff Duperon on WRTI (90.1 FM) at 6:45 PM on Saturday, June 13th. :excited:

In anticipation of organissimo's June 16th appearance at Chris' Jazz Cafe, our very own Jim Alfredson will be interviewed by Jeff Duperon on WRTI (90.1 FM) at 6:45 PM on Saturday, June 13th. :excited:

Cool! I'll definitely tune in.

Cool! I'll definitely tune in.

Also, keep an eye out the next couple of Sundays for a possible review of "Groovadelphia" in the Inquirer (fingers crossed).

Just a heads up, in case anyone needed ANOTHER reason to head to Chris' for the hit next week. I just found this out:

Saw the previous post about crawfish in Kimberton, so I thought I'd chime in and let you know that Chris' Jazz Cafe just started doing crawfish daily. They have a nice, spicy boil going and are experimenting with different sources. The staff told me yesterday that they were expecting a shipment of 90 pounds of live crawfish from Louisiana today around noon. It's $10 a bucket (about 20 depending on size) and goes well with the $10 buckets of Coronitas, though I'm more a fan of the $2 Kenzingers... So if you're in the neighborhood tonight, there will be plenty of bugs to go around. I see a bucket of crawfish at Chris' followed by a plate of Delaware Bay salts at the Oyster house in my future.

PM for additional food hints if you wish!