Terumasa Hino discussion and recommendations...

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest akanalog

why would you think there are vocals?

i don't see a vocalist listed on the back cover and it seems from the DG blurb the album is a jazz group interpreting songs by a kayama. i would take this to mean that kayama isn't present.

...and a Japanese drummer (let's see if I can invoke the wrath of Mr. Nessa).

There are some seriously great Japanese drummers out there, though I've not heard Hino's brother.

I can recommend:

Yoshisaburoh "Sabu" Toyozumi

Toshi Tsuchitori

Masahiko Togashi

...for starters.

FWIW, I really like the cover of that '69 Hino on Columbia. I'd almost say it hurts my feelings. Almost.

Guest akanalog

cliffe, motohiko is terumasa's cousin, i believe. not brother.

i am actually listening right now to a motohiko hino album called "first album". terumasa isn't on it. but it is pretty good. i would recommend this one. starts off wth a long "gingerbread boy", then a short drum and bass duet and then a long tune which has a perhaps rambling free-ish shakers and melodica and random bass and drum sounds kind of beginning and becomes a funkier piece reminding me sort of something frank foster might do in the early 70s, if that makes sense. electric piano is used often on this album

a good album with both hinos, rooster, is mikio masuda's "trace". masuda was hino's pianist on a lot of 60s and 70s stuff. this one has a vigorous "pinocchio" and tunes ranging from a spritual sanders-esque tune to a nice ballad feature for terumasa. good stuff with a different lead horn or reed on every track and some piano trio tracks.

another good terumasa hino album herbie hancock fusion-ish wise is "double rainbow". not mwandishi fusion, but "sunlight" "man-child", etc kind of stuff. this album is from 1981. it is actually kind of deep. i dunno. doesn't sound 80s. slick and produced i guess but has a chattering multi-layered thing going on with lots of percussion and keyboards. definitely a lot less commercial than most other funky fusion of the time. masaumi kikuchi's "susto" sounds like it was cut at this same session with a very similar vibe, though the focus being a lot more on kikuchi's keyboards.

i am thinking the original album in this thread is probably one of the best terumasa hino albums, the more i listen to.

has anyone heard "taro's mood", a live set from 1973? just released on enja.

has anyone heard "taro's mood", a live set from 1973? just released on enja.

Just got it a couple days ago from Dusty. Haven't heard it all the way through yet, but I'm almost through the first disc. It's good, but it isn't quite what I was expecting. Lots of ballads and/or slightly more sparse out-leaning material. Good stuff, but I haven't encountered the modal hardbop burners that I was hoping for. Still, two discs (about 95 minutes of material) for $12 -- it was well worth it. I'll report back more when I've really had a chance to digest it

Guest akanalog

i am sort of trying to turn this into a japanese jazz thread...

with that in mind i just placed an order with with mr. tanno for-

fumio karashima-hot islands

sadao watanabe-pamoja

yoshio suzuki-wings

takehiro honda-flying to the sky

not sure i am so excited for any of these? why did i order them. because there was money in my paypal account.

the karashima has miroslav vitous and is from 1979.

the wings album is from 1981? and has dave liebman and danny gotlieb and andy laverne and nana on it (i am not a fan of guys like liebman and laverne and gotlieb but sometimes i find japanese early 80s fusion is a lot better than similar american stuff and there is oberheim and moog listed in the instruments so hopefully there is some hearty keyboard action). though i hate laverne as a musician generally, he does do some good electric stuff on an eddie daniels muse album i like a lot.

the watanabe has all those dudes on it so we will see. i don't care for his shrill tone but am hoping for something more on this one.

and the honda-who knows? i like what i head heard from him and this is a quartet with motohiko hino and honda using some electric piano.

these japanese discs are crapshoots, and are so hard to get hold of i guess i jump the gun sometimes.

i wish i had on that al foster "mixed roots" album on ebay, though i guess that isn't a japanese album, really.

HOWEVER-let me completely totally recommend this disc i got from mr. tanno-

yuji imamura-air

its from 1975 but has a very 1971 feel. five or so japanese musicians playing sort of free formish miles inspired stuff. it sounds a bit too much like "right off" by the end , but that is late in the game. it sounds like the guys were on acide. here is what freeform.org says...oh funny the review also mentions "right off". i have found a lot of japanese albums from this time period cop a "right off" groove which is too bad because it's just a boring shuffle in the wrong hands. what made it work was miles and mclaughlin and cobham-not the rhythm or the tune itself.

Not to be confused with the Henry Threadgill project, nor the Googie Coppola joint (who dropped exactly one album on Herbie Mann's Embryo subsidiary before disappearing), nor the more recent sleazy-listening duo from France. This Japanese quintet of Yasuo Shimura, Renkichi Hayashi, Nobuyoshi Ino, Hiroshi Murakami, and Yuji Imamura continued to preach the gospel of Get Up With It, years after even Miles himself lost the faith. Yessir, this is elevated music, pure in spirit and intention and absolutely mindblowing in effect. Air's sole (eponymous) album is two sidelong cuts of psychedelic electric jazz, testified by five heads who mix Eastern and Western instrumentation into a thick brew of prime Kozmigroov: ringmodulated guitar lines, windchime swirls, ARP dissonance, deep bass echoes, wood flute invocations, processed saxophone, tape effects, subtly assertive grooves, omnipresent layers of percussion... mercy! The brazen shuffle which seizes the last quarter of the record actually reaches the same jazz/rock peak intensity of Jack Johnson's "Right Off." Three Blind Mice are an audiophile label who've reissued an armful of their back-catalog titles on compact disc. Although this album still awaits aluminum rebirth as of May 1999, Takeshi "Tee" Fujii (TBM prez) has promised an XRCD version. [DW]

Guest akanalog

let me add in regards to "taro's mood" i had a feeling i wouldn't love it.

i have seen another live hino disc for sale from 1973 but had a feeling it would be sort of slower moody stuff with some free-ish stuff. he can really get wearying as a musician, IMO.

rooster, i just found a copy of hino's "hogiuta" on CD. look for it. it's a good one with mtume and cecil mcbee and motohiko hino.

Guest akanalog

this fumio karashima album is recommended.

"hot islands"-i wanted to check out some more of this drummer george otsuka. the sax player i haven't heard of. karashima plays piano and e-piano and moog and some other crap, though it looks like his other albums are all acoustic affairs. dustygroove is stocking them. miroslav vitous plays on this one too, which made it more interesting. they do a version of "american tango" which is a bit more lively than the weather report version, though this album sort of reminds me of some late 70s weather report.

for a 1978 album, it isn't too cheesy at all. not mind-blowing, but pretty nice.

the sadao watanabe "pamoja" album i got is too nice. i am putting it in the sell pile. it is some good live jazz-a little funky, a little ethnic...good time-ey jazz. from 1975. not cheesy at all. just good-natured. but not exploratory enough.

the yoshio suzuki album i don't think i like. too 80s. maybe influenced by pat metheny albums of around this time? i mean gottlieb and nana are both on this one.

the takehiro honda is cool. i didn't realize it had gerd dudek on it. so it is live with honda on piano and e-piano, dudek on saxes and motohiko hino on drums. can't tell who the bassist is since i can't read japanese. this is some 1971 spiritual jazz-reminds me of live mccoy tyner of this vintage (enlightenment) though a bit less overpowering. good stuff.

i need to listen to it all more.

Guest akanalog

this fumio karashima album is recommended.

"hot islands"-i wanted to check out some more of this drummer george otsuka. the sax player i haven't heard of. karashima plays piano and e-piano and moog and some other crap, though it looks like his other albums are all acoustic affairs. dustygroove is stocking them. miroslav vitous plays on this one too, which made it more interesting. they do a version of "american tango" which is a bit more lively than the weather report version, though this album sort of reminds me of some late 70s weather report.

for a 1978 album, it isn't too cheesy at all. not mind-blowing, but pretty nice.

the sadao watanabe "pamoja" album i got is too nice. i am putting it in the sell pile. it is some good live jazz-a little funky, a little ethnic...good time-ey jazz. from 1975. not cheesy at all. just good-natured. but not exploratory enough.

the yoshio suzuki album i don't think i like. too 80s. maybe influenced by pat metheny albums of around this time? i mean gottlieb and nana are both on this one.

the takehiro honda is cool. i didn't realize it had gerd dudek on it. so it is live with honda on piano and e-piano, dudek on saxes and motohiko hino on drums. can't tell who the bassist is since i can't read japanese. this is some 1971 spiritual jazz-reminds me of live mccoy tyner of this vintage (enlightenment) though a bit less overpowering. good stuff.

i need to listen to it all more.

ah gunter lenz is the bassist on the takehiro honda disc.

cliffe, i imagine this combination of musicians might interest you.

Guest akanalog

actually the watanabe "pamoja" disc is pretty enjoyable.

it's just that it is enjoyable without being really deep.

kinda weird it has masahiko togashi and takehrio honda so those guys knew how to mix it up. also hiroshi murakami, the drummer on that AIR album i was hyping is on here. and masuo, from rollins group of about this same time period too...

are you guys hip to this record?

shirak_hide_sakurasak_101b.jpg

hideo shiraki quintet & 3 koto girls: sakura sakura. a '65 session with terumasa. very fun stuff, imho...

-e-

An amazing session! I have 4 tracks from it on a "Jazz meets Asia" MPS sampler. I need to get that Japan reissue ...

• 8 months later...

Scofield also guests on T. Hino's "May Dance" from 1977, which I haven't tracked down yet. And Hino guests on Scofield's first leader date, "East Meets West" from 1977 as well.

c651659dm5c.jpg

Finally picked this one up, and it's great! Some very solid playing by Hino and Scofield, and the rhythm section (Ron Carter & Tony Williams) are very locked in - no surprise there. Took me a long time to get this, but I'm glad I did. :tup

edit - it just dawned on me while listening to this that Scofield has recorded with each member of the 2nd Miles Quintet. I know Carter's played with everyone, but are there really that many musicians that can claim to have recorded with all of them?

Edited by Aggie87

• 13 years later...

A story about Terumasa Hino :

I saw him once in 1979 in a Dave Liebman quintet with fantastic musicians: with Terumasa Hino, John Scofield, Ron McLure, Jeff Ballard and Hino, with all due respect for the others , often stole the show, he was so great. He had, as I think I remember, a Don Cherry style pocket trumpet. 

It was in a Viennese Jazz Club.

In the course of the evening, torwards the last set, two japanese girls came in and allready were pretty drunk. Nevertheless they still ordered wine and as they saw Hino, they went crazy and shouted at him and tried to flirt with him. He tried to ignore them and went on to play his great music. When it came to the end, the girls jumped up and went up on the stage to him and wanted to kiss him and who knows what more. It was really embarrasing, and Hino first tried to refuse politely, but it didn´t help. So he said something in japanese to them in a very very angry manner and went to down in the separate room for the musicians. 

He played so great, but this behaviour of the drunk girls was really disturbing.