Terumasa Hino discussion and recommendations...

Rooster_Ties

Don't have much by or with Terumasa Hino, and am feeling the urge to find some (particularly from the 70's - though recommendations from any decade are welcome).

I think the only thing I have with him is this live date on enja from 1993....

c65855uore7.jpg

Hino / Kikuchi / Togashi - Triple Helix (enja, 1993)

Terumasa Hino - trumpet

Masabumi Kikuchi - piano

Masahiko Togashi - percussion

James Genus - bass

What else should I get?? Recommendations of dates with Terumasa as a sideman welcome too. Thanks!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have one cd by Hino, and it's "Live in Warsaw" (10/91). He plays the flugelhorn very nicely on that date. He has a lot of tricks in his bag, from long lines (think Baker, Farmer) to gutteral half-valve effects (a la Terry), and a strong, breathy tone. Yeah, I'd say he's a m.f.. :cool:

Edited by doubleM

Guest akanalog

i personally DO NOT recommend the one they have at dustygroove (journey into my mind) though i am sure other people would recommend it. it isn't for me as the longest songs are solo and duet performances though everything is well played.

i DO recommend into eternity, which is a double disc set which i ordered from japan. i guess i ordered from early records.

both of these sets i have mentioned are from the 70s.

also from the 70s i HIGHLY RECOMMEND hogiuta, which i only have on vinyl but was available on CD a few years ago ( i know japanese CDs are like toilet paper though so it is scarce now).

this is an annoying thing about amazon.com, actually-you can go and see that they claim something like hogiuta is available and it says it takes 2-4 weeks for shipping. so if you wait 4 weeks you will then get a notice asking for more time to get the item, which you could then do and then undoubtedly months later you would probably give up and cancel the order. but why say it is available in the first place? i mean maybe they can get it but i doubt it. i always cancel instead of waiting even longer.

there is a lot of great japanese electric and spiritual jazz from around this time. board member digiorio was nice enough to give me some recommendations in another thread you can look up.

i like a lot of these japanese albums because they took their inspiration from the right places and often used some of the more soulful american musicians of the time (mtume, gary peacock, cecil mcbee, eric gravatt) and were spot on in what they took from the american music of the time (an album i recommend i got via dustygroove-kohsuke mine's solid-the keyboard player perfectly gets the electric yamaha organ sound, that dirty sound, heard on so many miles albums of the time). i guess one could say hino really borrowed from miles tone on trumpet as well. hogiuta, for instance, has cecil mcbee (i think) and mtume on it.

i see hino is on some later 70s steeplechase stuff which interests me, but no one every seems to like this later 70s steeplechases so much.

he was also on some timeless stuff with dave liebman and john scolfield and whoever else.

there are many hino albums that look great but i haven't found anywhere from the 70s.

i think "hi-nology" is coming out soon and that, though slightly earlier, looks like it will be aight.

digiorgio actually said he wasn't crazy about hino as far as the japanese spiritual soul jazz fusion stuff went, but i like him alright.

i have another cool album on vinyl of hino's group with reggie workman which is cool on the canyon label. this too seems to be unavailable.

i think most stuff on east wind is worth exploring but it is worse if you dont' like it because it is more expensive and the difficulty of fidning it (i mean this kind of stuff, not the art farmer reissued in america stuff).

Guest akanalog

wow. i guess hino had a lot of influences.

i am probably wrong about the miles thing-it is just one of the discs i have has a version of my funny valentine where he reminds me of miles doing his version.

though i guess that is how i think of many of the japanese jazz musicians i like-as sort of looking at american jazz from a distance and taking the best or most interesting parts and sort of doing it their own way.

He guests on his brother Motohiko Hino's discs "Sailing Stone" from '91 and "It's There" from '93. SS includes a number of Rolling Stones covers, and the other includes Led Zep covers. :huh: The bands include Scofield, Stern, Dave Liebman, Steve Swallow, & Karen Mantler.

Scofield also guests on T. Hino's "May Dance" from 1977, which I haven't tracked down yet. And Hino guests on Scofield's first leader date, "East Meets West" from 1977 as well.

Don't have much by or with Terumasa Hino, and am feeling the urge to find some (particularly from the 70's - though recommendations from any decade are welcome).

I think the only thing I have with him is this live date on enja from 1993....

c65855uore7.jpg

Hino / Kikuchi / Togashi - Triple Helix (enja, 1993)

Terumasa Hino - trumpet

Masabumi Kikuchi - piano

Masahiko Togashi - percussion

James Genus - bass

What else should I get??  Recommendations of dates with Terumasa as a sideman welcome too.  Thanks!!

I bought "Triple Helix" while I was in Japan last January, but haven't listened to the disc, yet...

I have his early recordings around 1970: Feelin' Good and Swing Journal Jazz Workshop 1. I got them relatively cheap at Red Trumpet sale and like them both.

I also have "From the Heart" (Somethin' Else), but don't like as much as his earlier recordings.

NowHearThis.gif

I have a real exciting album from the 70's by Hal Galper on Enja called "Now Hear This". It's a quartet album with Galper on piano, Hino - trumpet, Cecil McBee - bass and Tony Williams - drums.

If anything, it sounds like a high energy McCoy Tyner album. If you can find it, get it. I don't know its availability, though.

Edited by BFrank

Anybody know how the Hino composition "Alone, Alone, and Alone" ended up on Blue Mitchell's DOWN WITH IT??

g39200rjonc.jpg

Is the version Mitchell does the first recorded version?? 1965 is pretty darn early for Hino.

What are Hino's earlier/earliest recordings (1960s)?? Mostly sideman dates, I presume (though I see in the AMG he lead his own date in 1967, an album called "Alone, Alone, Alone" - so the tune must have had at least some impact). Are any worth pursuing??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

OK, Chuck made an ass out of me (not a difficult thing to do, I might add :P ), before I could go track down my own copy of DOWN WITH IT. Here's what I found...

The lovely ballad, Alone, Alone, and Alone, was given to Blue by a Japanese trumpeter named Hino, during a trip to Tokyo, in early 1965.  Since then, it has become a treasured item in the group's book.  "They were having these afternoon jazz sessions out there," says Blue, "and it was a wonderful thing, because the Japanese people reacted very warmly.  Maybe they appreciate the music more because they don't have many opportunities to hear it.  Anyway, one of the sets featured Hino on trumpet, along with his brother on drums.  He's a very good young cat, and they played this number.  When I told Hino how much I liked it, he let me have it to bring back here.  Now we're trying to find out what happened to him."  Most remarkable is Blue's solo on this pensive poem of stifled yearning, and the subtle backing of Cook, Corea, Taylor, and Foster.

EDIT: Wonder if Blue ever found out what happened to him?? :ph34r:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I've thought about buying this one a dozen times (since it's so easy to find on-line, and usually for only $5 or $6.)

d85310k1k71.jpg

Terumasa Hino & Masabumi Kikuchi Quintet: Acoustic Boogie (Blue Note, 1995)

Yanow's AMG review totally pans it (sample quote: "Even for dance music the results are extremely dull with no real development or anything approaching excitement occurring").

To my ears, the on-line samples I've found sound like something very much out of the M-BASE camp (Greg Osby is on the whole date), and they don't sound half bad for typical M-BASE material (which many (even myself sometimes) find a bit boring). Electric bass, but acoustic piano -- is an interesting choice -- and something you don't hear as much in other M-BASE type recordings (though sometimes with Geri Allen guesting). From the on-line clips, it sounds like Osby was in typically good form (given where he was at in 1995).

Maybe I'll take the plunge on this one sometime...

• ...when I see it again for $3 or $4. :g

I'm a huge fan of Hino's. I put him up with Eddie Henderson at the tip- top level "mainstream" players still alive. Like Eddie Henderson, Hino comes out of Miles, Freddie, etc. Like Eddie he can play bop,changes,funk and(more than Eddie) free. He can do it all. Great sound and soulful!

Hino's been out there a long time now. Those 60's records are cool--one w/ Johnny Harman is cool. Lots of free records in the 70's, then funk, then return to standards.

Some of my faves:

May Dance--w/Sco,Ron Carter, Tony Williams

Hal Galper--Now Hear This(see above)

Elvin Jones--Earth Jones(w/ Liebman,Kirkland,Mraz)

Sam Jones--Visitation(w/Bob Berg,R.Mathews,Al Foster)

Terumasa Hino--Trans Blue( w/ strings,K.Kirkland,Jim Hall,Eddie Gomez,G.Tate)

Terumasa Hino--Unforgettable(w/Cedar Walton)

I bought a recent Japanese Something Else CD recently in SF, but it wouldn't play on a CD player, computer, etc so I took it back :(

It looked fantastic(and similar to that great "Unforgettable CD) except it had Sir Roland Hanna on it in a quartet.Anyone have/heard this???

Hino is the real deal!

Edited by Trumpet Guy

Guest akanalog

yo rooster T.

no need to waste time or money on newer stuff.

just dig into the 70s stuff.

i think 60s stuff is probably a little too derivative of what was going on in america (check the covers of many of the albums) but once the 70s hit the music is interesting.

the sam jones that trumpet guy mentioned is one that sounds interesting, but as i said no one ever talks about these later steeplechases. i don't know why. there is also a ken mcintyre which has hino from this time on steeplechase which i never hear about.

may dance is probably a good one and like i said, in that vein, there are two timeless albums from around this time with hino and scofield and liebman (they are liebman dates). i wonder how these are....

Guest akanalog

also this guy who he did acoustic boogie with-masabumi kikuchi-look for his 70s stuff.

now he is doing some stuff with one of my least-favorite drummers in tethered moon, but back then he had some interesting stuff going on...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest akanalog

just found a copy of "love nature" at the used store!

this is a set from 1971 led by hino with gravatt, workman and bartz! (and a japanese guitarist id on't know about)

can't wait to put this one on. had been looking online with little success.

Guest akanalog

ok chuck, let's try this.

instead of writing what you wrote-

why not write something like-

"the guitarist is named kiyoshi sugimoto and you might have heard of him from other japanese dates. i know he was on one with sonny stitt for sure."

something like that.

that way it won't sound like you are giving me a hard time for no good reason.

maybe next time.

Guest akanalog

but also chuck, no offense to you or mr. sugimoto-the reason i purchased the album was to hear the other guys play with hino. since i know and like them.

and knowing mr. ties predelictions, i imagine these names i mentioned are names he might know and also be interested in. and he, not you, was the starter of this thread.

but from now on i will add complete discographical details to every one of my posts so no one from the guitarist to the A& R person goes unmentioned.