Nimbus records

Are the current Nimbus records, like the Nate Morgan, Gary Bias and others original pressing. I'm buggin' because I can't seem to find if these are re-issues or just stock that was left from the early 80's. Even on the site they don't state if they are re-issues or not, is there something I don't know about?

Are the current Nimbus records, like the Nate Morgan, Gary Bias and others original pressing.  I'm buggin' because I can't seem to find if these are re-issues or just stock that was left from the early 80's.  Even on the site they don't state if they are re-issues or not, is there something I don't know about?

There seemed to be a surge in Nimbus activities after Horace Tapscott died. I think they're new pressings.

I'd like to hear your definition of a reissue vs original.

Then I'd like to hear why you care.

Well, I don't see how this question has any relevance as to what I am inquiring. If you have no insight to offer, it really does not matter what my definition is.

• 3 years later...

i am thinking about placing an order with nimbus west and am wondering about a number of things...

1) has anybody ordered from www.nimbuswest.com recently or knows whether this works properly? is there another better option? (i do have paypal but don't have a credit card...)

2) what to buy... i already have dial b for barbra and nate morgan's journey into nigritia, i prefer small groups with some horn players and want to order about 3 cds, so the current plan would be something like

Jesse Sharps - Sharps and Flats

Pan Afrikan People's Arkestra - At IUCC

Billie Harris - I want some water

is this a wise choice or should i substitute/add, for instance, one of the following

Adele Sebastian - Desert Fairy Princess

Pan Afrikan People's Arkestra - Flight 17

Creative Arts Ensemble - One Step Out (how is this one?)

Nate Morgan - Retribution, Reparation

rather try Tapscott piano instead of Tapscott big band...

i dunno but here in town one record store guy has a slew of sealed nimbus pressings that hes had for years he said, the 1st one i bought for 15.99. then i asked him if he had more-- like 2 years later he brought em in to the store- marked them all like 59.99. its not even a speciality store its all mostly low end lps and cds, etc....they'll probably be still all be there on horaces 175th b-day celebration. if the guy wasnt such a sonofabitch i would of totally bought up a lot if they were like ten a pop

These three are all VERY good.

The Billie Harris might be the deepest in terms of the quality of the soloist, but don't overlook the other two.

My favorite Nimbus is probably that Creative Arts Ensemble disc icon12.gif, which has some really spectacular group interplay, and has one hell of a good vibe to it (and the female vocalist reminds me a lot of June Tyson from Sun Ra's Arkestra). One of the best discs I've picked up over the last few years (and one I would replace rather damn quickly if ever I lost it).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

i am thinking about placing an order with nimbus west and am wondering about a number of things...

1) has anybody ordered from www.nimbuswest.com recently or knows whether this works properly? is there another better option? (i do have paypal but don't have a credit card...)

2) what to buy... i already have dial b for barbra and nate morgan's journey into nigritia, i prefer small groups with some horn players and want to order about 3 cds, so the current plan would be something like

Jesse Sharps - Sharps and Flats

Pan Afrikan People's Arkestra - At IUCC

is this a wise choice or should i substitute/add, for instance, one of the following

Adele Sebastian - Desert Fairy Princess

Pan Afrikan People's Arkestra - Flight 17

rather try Tapscott piano instead of Tapscott big band...

I own all of these, and they're all great. I'd say Sharps then Nate Morgan. Great stuff!

As for the OP, I'm going to side with Chuck on this one. If it sounds good to your ear, what does it matter when it was pressed? If it's about collect, well, hell, I couldn't answer that question in a million years.

Thanks for the recs. I'm only aware of the Tapscot material by name, of which I own nothing of (have the Hats, and those are great!) I would really like to get to know more of, of what seems like a great label.

*ANY* of the solo Tapscotts would be a great place to start!

thanks to everybody for their thoughts! placed an order for "retribution, reparation" and "i want some water"... as i mentioned above i only have two so far but those i would definitely recommend, tapscott's dial b for barbra and nate morgan's journey into nigritia (the latter has been one of my most played cds of the last few months, i used to be very ambivalent with respect to coltrane-influenced music (say, i haven't felt like checking out steve grossmann yet, although this is beginning to change) but this album really convinced me, it has that coltrane/spiritual jazz vibe and at the same time comes across honest and (more importantly) a bit understated (like they are saying (to me) "we play this music because it's our music, it's not like we seriously believe in revolution/africa and all that") [don't take this too seriously if you could]

Edited by Niko

• 2 weeks later...

package from nimbus west arrived today (could hardly have been faster) (customs receipt signed by mr albach himself btw) no reason to worry about reliability apparently!

• 4 months later...

just a heads up that there are some new cds out from nimbus west

Dadisi Komolafe - Hassan's Walk

with

Dadesi Komolafe Flute & Alto Sax

Rickey Kelley Vibes

Eric Tillman Piano

Roberto Miranda Bass

Sonship Theus Drums

songs list here http://www.lastfm.de/music/Horace+Tapscott/Hassan%27s+Walk and depending on where you are you can stream it...

Curtis Clark - Reach, Believe it & Play

Lighthouse 79, vol. 1

Horace Tapscott, band(CD)

anyone have any details about this last one?

just a heads up that there are some new cds out from nimbus west

Dadisi Komolafe - Hassan's Walk

with

Dadesi Komolafe Flute & Alto Sax

Rickey Kelley Vibes

Eric Tillman Piano

Roberto Miranda Bass

Sonship Theus Drums

songs list here http://www.lastfm.de/music/Horace+Tapscott/Hassan%27s+Walk and depending on where you are you can stream it...

Curtis Clark - Reach, Believe it & Play

Lighthouse 79, vol. 1

Horace Tapscott, band(CD)

anyone have any details about this last one?

From Dusty Groove:

Horace Tapscott -- Lighthouse 79 -- Vol 1 (LP sleeve edition) ... CD

Nimbus, 1979. New Copy .... $11.99

A lost treasure from pianist Horace Tapscott -- material recorded live at the legendary Lighthouse club, done with a very hip group of players from the Nimbus Records scene! The tracks are quite long throughout -- and often start with Tapscott musing into the groove with solo piano, soon joined by group members who include Reggie Bullen on trumpet, Gary Bias on alto sax, Roberto Miranda and David Bryant on bass, and George Goldsmith on drums. Tapscott's piano has plenty of sharp edges throughout, but these introductory moments also show his more contemplative side as well -- making the long tracks a wonderfully rich portrait of his musical talents. Titles include "Acirfa", "Dem Folks", "I Remember Clifford", "Leland's Song", and a shorter take on "Acirfa".

I have it. It's worth picking up if you like Tapscott.

From Dusty Groove:

Horace Tapscott -- Lighthouse 79 -- Vol 1 (LP sleeve edition) ... CD

Nimbus, 1979. New Copy .... $11.99

A lost treasure from pianist Horace Tapscott -- material recorded live at the legendary Lighthouse club, done with a very hip group of players from the Nimbus Records scene! The tracks are quite long throughout -- and often start with Tapscott musing into the groove with solo piano, soon joined by group members who include Reggie Bullen on trumpet, Gary Bias on alto sax, Roberto Miranda and David Bryant on bass, and George Goldsmith on drums. Tapscott's piano has plenty of sharp edges throughout, but these introductory moments also show his more contemplative side as well -- making the long tracks a wonderfully rich portrait of his musical talents. Titles include "Acirfa", "Dem Folks", "I Remember Clifford", "Leland's Song", and a shorter take on "Acirfa".

I have it. It's worth picking up if you like Tapscott.

thanks! i like dial b for... so i guess this one's for me!