Paul Bley

Daniel A

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I think there's a lot more to Johansson than the somewhat sombre album of Swedish traditional songs that is the main reason he's still remembered in Sweden. He did work for orchestras and larger bands, wrote film music and so on. Whether that is ECM-ish or not I'll leave to others, but I didn't think so.

I wasn't at all suggesting that Johansson's considerable output was in any way an influence on ECM as a whole or even ECM-ish. I was suggesting that I think that his piano trio and particularly that album you refer to is an influence on many subsequent ECM trios, especially European ones, as per the point made about Bley's 'Ballads' album to which I was responding

Edited by mjazzg

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I wasn't at all suggesting that Johansson's considerable output was in any way an influence on ECM as a whole or even ECM-ish. I was suggesting that I think that his piano trio and particularly that album you refer to is an influence on many subsequent ECM trios, especially European ones, as per the point made about Bley's 'Ballads' album to which I was responding

I now realize that this is exactly the point you made from the beginning, so sorry for somehow distorting it into something else. But it made me seek out a Johansson recording I hadn't heard in years, so it had a positive side effect. 🙂

What might be a point in another discussion, though, is that the influential Johansson recording (towards ECM) was not as representative of his overall output back then.

Edited by Daniel A

25 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I now realize that this is exactly the point you made from the beginning, so sorry for somehow distorting it into something else. But it made me seek out a Johansson recording I hadn't heard in years, so it had a positive side effect. 🙂

What might be a point in another discussion, though, is that the influential Johansson recording (towards ECM) was not as representative of his overall output back then.

Pleased it had a positive outcome 🙂. I would be interested to know more about more of his output. Another thread perhaps

2 hours ago, Late said:

Aside from the Fontana Blood, are there any other pre-1970 recordings deserving of reissue? I'm sure there are live tapes out there...

It should all be out there! Touching, the ECMs and the ESPs are just about the only ones to be consistently available. I can't say what all would be possible, but a box containing at least the Savoy/IAI, Fontana/Polydor, and Limelight recordings should be done. 

3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

The Radio Canada session for sure, never been on CD and has not seen a fresh pressing since the '70s. Don't know if the BYG Actuel session has been easily available recently, but it's a doozy too.

Yeah that Radio Canada is great. I always thought the BYG was a reissue, it's not?

Edited by mjazzg

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

edit: no I haven't, I have the later Red Record reissue of it titled "Ramblin' with Bley"

yeah, curious how they got their hands on it -- they didn't issue other BYG material to my knowledge.

There's also an Affinity pressing from the 80s, which does make sense as they had access to the Charly/Actuel/BYG holdings.