***King Crimson Corner***

Guy Berger

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

its exceptionally good- its called who knows what tommorrow may bring. it is such a random ass lineup: brother jack, ray draper on tuba (and arranging and he also wrote most of the tunes), then joe beck on guitar, and tony levin on bass and mike brecker on tpt. that is such a random ass lineup

Chewy -- is it named after the song by Traffic?

Guy

Guest the mommy

you guys should use the search function on this one. this mcduff albums has been talked about previously.

it's aight. i like that there is someone on piano, complimenting the organ.

chewy chew chew, if you spent your time finding tony levin jazz-ish sideman appearances you would have to buy some crappy stuff. some bad herbie mann, chuck mangione, etc....

I know this band is important and everything, but everytime i tried to listen to them, it sounded to long and to boring. Somehow it felt like a waste of time listening to King Crimson because IMHO an average fusion band (take Uzeb, Yellowjackets e.t.c) has better compositions and play better.

King Crimson sound best when they play short riifs, like the ones that made Guy think they took something from Mingus. But that's not special and there are many rock artists who did it before KC and better than KC.

It seems to me that they are to pompose for a pop-rock band and to trivial as compared with fusion bands.

As I said, I've always thought that there is music which catched the essence of the things that KC tried to do, better than KC.

I know this band is important and everything, but everytime i tried to listen to them, it sounded to long and to boring. Somehow it felt like a waste of time listening to King Crimson because IMHO an average fusion band (take Uzeb, Yellowjackets e.t.c) has better compositions and play better.

King Crimson sound best when they play short riifs, like the ones that made Guy think they took something from Mingus. But that's not special and there are many rock artists who did it before KC and better than KC.

It seems to me that they are to pompose for a pop-rock band and to trivial as compared with fusion bands.

As I said, I've always thought that there is music which catched the essence of the things that KC tried to do, better than KC.

Let's hear one of those bands pop out a classic like Fracture.

The right thing at the wrong time is wrong.

The wrong thing at the right time may be right.

The right thing at the right time is beautiful.

Let's hear one of those bands pop out a classic like Fracture.

The right thing at the wrong time is wrong.

The wrong thing at the right time may be right.

The right thing at the right time is beautiful.

I'm not saying they didn't have their moments!

But sometimes the music they play is pretensious and embarassing. Like the very very long song they have on the first album, where they put a flute on a sequence of "spanish chords", which is the first thing you learn when you play the guitar. Each time I listened to it I asked "What's the big deal?".

Thinking of them as a "fusion" band is a mistake, Alon.

Guy

Simple is beautiful.

But trivial or primitive are not the same as simple.

I get the impression that you're not real familar with all they have done.

All is a big word. Probably you're right. I'm also not familiar with ALL what Christina Aguilera did, but still I enjoy listening to her more then to KC.

They never made me interested with their music to dig into more of it. Somehow it was always the BUZZZ around this band that created the interest for me.

Hope you're not angry or something :rolleyes:

Edited by Alon Marcus

Simple is beautiful.

But trivial or primitive are not the same as simple.

I get the impression that you're not real familar with all they have done.

All is a big word. Probably you're right. I'm also not familiar with ALL what Christina Aguilera did, but still I enjoy listening to her more then to KC.

But KC, probably more than most bands, has had enormous changes in style during its life. Therefore, if you've only heard one or two albums, 7/4 is probably right.

Guy

But KC, probably more than most bands, has had enormous changes in style during its life. Therefore, if you've only heard one or two albums, 7/4 is probably right.

They're also one of those bands that can take awhile to click. I was in college when Discipline came out and only knew their first album. Hardly the same band! When I tried Lark's and Red (different yet again) I couldn't stand Wetton's voice, probably because I detested his latest band Asia. Years later I took the plunge on the live '73-'74 Great Deceiver set. Loved the improv but it took a long time for me to tolerate and finally like the vocals (and hell, lyrics too.) So we're talking a lot of years passing before I could get into one important phase of their career. And did I ever! :)

They're similar to Zappa in that I'm not always in the mood but when I am little else will do. Also I think you're best off hearing the live recordings.

Huh. I bought a used copy of 'Larks' last month, having never heard much of King Crimson ever. I really like the vocal tracks moreso than the instrumentals. I thought I'd like the instrumentals more! I do like the dynamic range of the recording though. Seems like a nice recording.

I do remember hearing a crushing instrumental in a soundtrack once. Can't remember if it was a Guy Ritchie movie or what.

Was Asia a cheesy band like Europe? That is the impression I get. Can't say I've ever heard them though.

• 4 months later...

from the March DGM newsletter, you can get a free KC concert from dgmlive.com.

And is that wasn't enough, you can download an entire concert from KC in 1982. That way you can see for yourself how easy downloading is at no cost whatsoever - cover artwork included!

I haven't checked this out yet, but thought it might be of interest to some of ya.

from the March DGM newsletter, you can get a free KC concert from dgmlive.com.

And is that wasn't enough, you can download an entire concert from KC in 1982. That way you can see for yourself how easy downloading is at no cost whatsoever - cover artwork included!

I haven't checked this out yet, but thought it might be of interest to some of ya.

It's a good one! Ends up being just a wee bit over 80 minutes, so if you're going to burn (as opposed to just keeping it on an iPod or big ole harddrive) you may want to add 70+ minutes of other music to disc 2 or (gasp) do some editing.