Eldar Djangirov

doubleM

Of course, imitation is just the first step. As Clark Terry says "Imitate- Assimilate- Innovate"!

Well put. I have his newest, the self-titled disc on Sony, and right now I'd say he's still in the "dazzle 'em with...", well, not bullshit by any means, but he needs to calm down and find his own voice. On the other hand, I sure hope he finds his feet, because to my untrained ears, in spite of the imitation, he's really got something.

Well cb-a, I certainly respect your opinion, but in this case I don't happen to agree- I guess it all depends on our specific experiences. I've heard him in various contexts (his own sides, Mingus Big Band, sideman appearances) and must say I've been impressed. He may not be "there" yet, but IMHO he's headed in a good direction.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. :g

BTW, regarding the LCJO I recently heard from a very reliable source that Wynton has been having some rather serious chop problems lately.

Have you (or anyone else here) heard and/or noticed anything to further confirm this?

And regarding Sean Jones, I've been enjoying his latest recording (Gemini).

Pretty eclectic stylistically, but throughout SJ is blowing some good shit IMHO.

BTW, regarding the LCJO I recently heard from a very reliable source that Wynton has been having some rather serious chop problems lately.

Have you (or anyone else here) heard and/or noticed anything to further confirm this?

Pretty eclectic stylistically, but throughout SJ is blowing some good shit IMHO.

Yes Gemini is a good album but when it goes cheesy, it goes way cheesy. The two tracks with the saxist Walter Smith III are stellar. He is one to watch!

Yes Gemini is a good album but when it goes cheesy, it goes way cheesy. The two tracks with the saxist Walter Smith III are stellar. He is one to watch!

The synth tracks are definitely cheesy. No need for the synth.

Guest youmustbe

Yup Wynton is having some chop problems. He did seem to loose some weight and looks good. Played at the Chico O'Farrill, street dedication ceremony.

Re Ryon Kisor. Ryon did a gig for me, I forget which one, and he played real good. For whatever reason, he seems to have realized that he is not a 'leader' and is content with what he's doing.

The only trumpet players to me today are Jeremy Pelt, and Jim Rotundi. Both are getting better and better.

Yup Wynton is having some chop problems.  He did seem to loose some weight and looks good.  Played at the Chico O'Farrill, street dedication ceremony.

Re Ryon Kisor.  Ryon did a gig for me, I forget which one, and he played real good. For whatever reason, he seems to have realized that he is not a 'leader' and is content with what he's doing. 

The only trumpet players to me today are Jeremy Pelt, and Jim Rotundi. Both are getting better and better.

I agree with your list, and would add Terrell Stafford. I've admired his playing for quite some time. I had the opportunity to hang and play with him this summer and discovered that he's also a real nice guy. And he plays his ASS off. :g

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

From Jazztimes' Blindfold Test with pianist Billy Taylor (February 2007 issue, available online)

http://www.jazztimes.com/columns_and_featu...fore_and_after/

Before and After with Billy Taylor

Interview by Larry Appelbaum

Track 6 - Before

Billy Taylor's Comments:

(smiles at the Tatum-esque runs) This is an excellent pianist but he doesn’t have a left hand. He may have small hands. He’s using octaves. Sounds good. He’s clean as a whistle. He’s playing like Tatum, and does that very well. I get a big charge when I hear a younger person doing this. I was afraid it was going to skip that generation because so few young guys can do that.

How can you tell it’s a younger person?

It sounds like a younger person. Rhythmically, what I hear sounds more like a younger player. An older player who plays that style would be playing more tenths in the left hand.

Track 6 - After

Eldar "Take the ‘A’ Train"

from Live at the Blue Note on Sony Classical.

Eldar Djangirov, piano. Recorded in 2005.

Billy Taylor's Comments:

Ha ha ha! I’ll be darned. Sounds good. And he does have a small hand. At his age there are certain things he could do to stretch that. But he’s doing other things and he’s doing them very well. This kid is one of the best musicians I’ve worked with, but I’m so disappointed in what they’ve done with him. I don’t know what’s wrong with these people. They should promote him. He’s got original compositions that are beautiful. It’s a waste. I hate to see that. He can play with Roy Hargrove and make it work, and I’m glad. But why can’t the people who handle him be more thoughtful about the potential? Not everybody has his potential, the facility, the control and all the things he does so easily. So do more with it. He’s a beautiful player. I wrote a thing in fourths and he came in and ate it up. He’s a wonderful player but none of that is on this record.

• 3 years later...