for those who missed out the cheap Universal Mosaics

tjobbe

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw the Monk Prestige 3 CD box is listed at € 5,99! # 500017 .......

in case anyone wants to know: it's plain CDs like the Sonny Rollins Freelance Years Set... no booklet

The Sonny Rollins Freelance set I got from 2001 does have a booklet. In fact, the booklet and the small box containing the set were made in the US and are the ones included in the US sets. Only the discs themselves were made in Germany.

in case anyone wants to know: it's plain CDs like the Sonny Rollins Freelance Years Set... no booklet

The Sonny Rollins Freelance set I got from 2001 does have a booklet. In fact, the booklet and the small box containing the set were made in the US and are the ones included in the US sets. Only the discs themselves were made in Germany.

mine is like that as well, but I got it some years ago already. The other one I got in this sale came in a single 5CD case without anything else.

Yeah, the Rollins Freelance and Monk Prestige sets I saw at their Nuernberg store definitely had the booklet. Looked liked the regular thing, not some leftover discs without anything to go with them.

that's strange; in düsseldorf, if i am not completely mistaken, the discs do have some cardboard box, the rollins I think a more stable one, the Monk one is thinner and no booklet... will have another look and report again tomorrow (but they are not rigorous about little distinctions at least at the store anyway - of max roach "deeds not words" what was presented was the original ojc but what they gave me when I asked they gave me the zyx apogee 24bit remastered thing (and when I asked I immediately got the presentation copy ojc so from complaint on my side)) (just to illustrate that maybe they had both with and without booklet but sold them as one item - at that price I think no one can complain)

back from 2001... they were busy so i could not ask... the Monk was three CDs (single jewel cases) in a thin cardboard thing - don't know if it's a box if it doesn't have a back cover... no place for a booklet in there... the rollins they had in two versions: once a 5 CD jewel case without a booklet and without a box; the other 5 single jewel cases in a thicker cardboard box... there would have been space for a booklet but there wasn't one (although there was "plastic around it" - don't know whats "eingeschweißt" in English) doesn't mean there isn't a third version

mine is like that as well, but I got it some years ago already. The other one I got in this sale came in a single 5CD case without anything else.

On the other hand, I did still print out a copy of your sheet for each jewel case in this set, as I have for every other set I have for which you've prepared one (regardless of whether the set came with a booklet). It's much easier to take out your sheet than the whole booklet (especially the larger ones) every time I play a CD, and your discographical information is much better organized and easier to follow.

I've been meaning to say this for a while: THANKS, JOHN! :tup

Just a quick note to add a recommendation for the 9 Euro 'West Coast Jazz' box. 4 CDs of prime West Coast (some real nuggets in there - gems from the Contemporary, Pacific Jazz, Nocturne, HiFi Jazz archives etc) and a very nice booklet with Ray Avery photos and pictures of various memorabilia (lighthouse posters etc). A nice one to put alongside the equally good Contemporary box.

My Monk and Rollins Freelance boxes, purchased at a previous 2001 sale, both have the US boxes and booklets.

Edited by sidewinder

eyy, my pleasure! as long as I type it all up, I might as well share. Glad you like 'em.

You should add the Rollins Freelance to your alternative booklets index, here, as well as any other additional booklets you've prepared. :rolleyes:

eyy, my pleasure! as long as I type it all up, I might as well share. Glad you like 'em.

You should add the Rollins Freelance to your alternative booklets index, here, as well as any other additional booklets you've prepared. :rolleyes:

just added the Rollins Freelance and a PDF with covers for the Mingus Atlantic: I took those disks out of the tight cardboard and put them in 2CD slimcases. BTW please everyone remember that Ubu did the Evans Riverside booklet; I only put it up.

Did you expect booklets for a Miles set or something? :P

Sonny Rollins Freelance Years Set... no booklet

for those who need it, info sheet for the Rollins set attached

I am enjoying having all of this material collected in one neat box, and especially at this low price; however, was there a "real" booklet with the original Prestige/OJC release in the U.S.? If so, how extensive was it, and can it be produced in a PDF file for those of us who are deprived by German austerity?

I am very grateful for the insert prepard by Couw ... as I am for all of his box inserts.

Edited by garthsj

BTW please everyone remember that Ubu did the Evans Riverside booklet; I only put it up.

Is that so? But then you re-formatted them and all, yes? Anyway, same here, if I typed it up already...

Got me my Mingus box yesterday! GREAT! Thanks again tjobbe for letting us know about it! :tup

Only played half of disc 1 when I came home late, but had a look at the book and it looks marvellous! Also I gladly noted that several non-Mingus things are in the Debut Story box, which would have been hard to part with, since it's another very nicely done package!

gladly noted that several non-Mingus things are in the Debut Story box, which would have been hard to part with, since it's another very nicely done package!

thank you for this encouraging remark - as I missed the big one I greed for evidence in favor ofthe Debut Story box :) ... don't tell me Thad Jones playing Portrait is not the best track in the big box..

Edited by Niko

Niko, just to add a few infos regarding Monk Prestige and Rollins Freelance: musically, both are great, but the Rollins is probably a bit better (just my opinion - some of the very best Rollins in there, for sure).

Both are originally packed in sturdy (3-4 mm thick) cardboard boxes, both contain a booklet of the size of a jewel case - half as thick, probably. These have discography, one lenghty essay, and small original covers, as well as some photos and prob. additional stuff like an alphabetical list of tunes. Anyway, with booklets, they'd be nicer than without, but for that prize, get them in whatever way they're around!