jazz fusion

Hey guys, I´m sure you've most probably discussed this here, but I'm new to the site, and would like to know intersting jazz-fusion or jazz-rock bands that you could recommend, something along the lines of Pat Metheny maybe?

Fernando, from Buenos Aires, Argentina

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest akanalog

are you looking for soft sort of mild stuff with world music touches like recent metheny or like his 70s kind of stuff? do you like harder stuff or fluffier stuff?

Edited by akanalog

Guest akanalog

well either way here is some good jazz fusion, in my opinion....

1.tony williams lifetime-believe it

2.jean-luc ponty-enigmatic ocean

3.soft machine-six

i have a nice pat metheny LP which i have never seen on CD. it is a live performance from like 1977. not sure what it is called. just "pat metheny live". i have seen it as a bootleg CD called, i think, "blue asphalt". i can't really get into his stuff from much past 1978 or so.

Edited by akanalog

Guest akanalog

billy cobham has some good fusion albums too.

i never got into "spectrum", but "total eclipse" and "crosswinds" and "a funky side of things" and "magic" and "inner conflicts" and "life and times" and "alivemutherforya" and "shabazz" all have some good moments but sometimes some excessive drum showcases.

i will recommend "a funky side of things" most highly just because i listened to it recently and dug it PLUS it has a nine minute drum solo which is actually decent to listen to.

bill bruford has some albums which might interest you too. they are a bit stiff for me but "feels good to me" has some good moments.

Guest akanalog

nucleus also has some great fusion albums and i would perhaps recommend the two-fer of "labyrinth/roots" first.

eddie hendersons "sunburst" on blue note is also a nice fusion album. i like the two-fer of "realization/inside out" even better though this is more strongly on the jazz side of things.

lenny white also has some good fusions albums. you might enjoy "venusian summer" or "adventures of astral pirates" though i find "venusian summer" a bit guitar heavy for my tastes.

larry coryell has some awesome fusion albums! i should have mentioned him first. check out "offering" or "larry coryell" or "introducing larry coryell and the eleventh house" or "lady coryell" or "barefoot boy" for some good guitar-lead fusion. i would go for "offering" first probably.

Guest akanalog

i don't even really like all this stuff. i need to be in the right mood.

i am just trying to help.

but when i am in the right mood, something like "enigmatic ocean" is about the best fusion gets!

"believe it" is even better. i can always appreciate how nicely tony williams and alan holdsworth play together.

and i can always listen to some nucleus. ok you're right i guess i do like it.

but i really like the more spiritual side of fusion better-not the blazing speed guitar stuff.

whoa!!! well, thanks akanalog especially and the rest, I certainly have some things to look for now... guess I'll be busy listening to all that stuff....

regarding metheny, in fact I LOVE his 80's stuff, and 90's as well, though I'm a pianist, it is the type of music he and his group do what really grips me

thanx!!!!

Guest akanalog

fernando, if you like later pat metheny stuff, you probably will not like anything i recommended.

so i am sorry for steering you in the wrong direction and maybe someone else can help you better.

i am sorry for all my useless information.

Hmmm...I honestly can't think of anything "along the lines" of recent PMG that I could recommend. But for something a little different, I was just checking out Cuong Vu's new album yesterday, and that sounds pretty good. Bill Frisell plays on it. Kurt Rosenwinkel is a favorite guitarist of mine, and his recent albums have a yearning sort of vibe kind of like some of Pat's music.

Hello!

I would like to recommend the early George Duke stuff on the MPS-label.

Titles like Feel, Faces in reflection and The Aura will prevail are great!

Sort of hard to get hold off though :(

Return to forever was a great group too.

/Shaft

• 2 weeks later...

hey akanalog!! you could never steer me in the "wrong" direction, what you did was fantastic, since you tried to open new paths in the things I listen to, there could never be a wrong side of things as long as we share music and especially, the good one!!! so, I thank you anyway, and I've been trying to hear some tony williams, and I found it incredible!!

thanx again...

fernando

Ray Russell's Rites and Rituals is a heavy side, "fusion" or however you want to classify it... a lot of his material is pretty mind-bending free jazz/noise rock gloop that's somewhat hard to classify. It's great, though!

I'd like to check some of that OM material on Japo as well, so thanks for the reminder.

What about Embryo and their work with Charlie Mariano?

but when i am in the right mood, something like "enigmatic ocean" is about the best fusion gets!

I totally agree. Enigmatic Ocean, Cosmic Messenger, and Imaginary Voyage are really all top notch Ponty. Ponty had a knack for choosing sympathetic guitarists which really makes these albums stand out IMO.

Guest akanalog

Hello!

I would like to recommend the early George Duke stuff on the MPS-label.

Titles like Feel, Faces in reflection and The Aura will prevail are great!

Sort of hard to get hold off though :(

Return to forever was a great group too.

/Shaft

george duke is a true master of electric keyboards and it is a damn shame these MPS albums aren't out on CD. i wish MPS would get a little more adventurous in reissuing stuff. maybe a little less oscar peterson and a lot more george duke! feel and faces in reflection, in particular, IMO, are awesome.

Guest akanalog

clifforde, embryo's work with mariano is a mixed bag, IMO. well same with all of their stuff, including the mal waldron sides.

when did mariano appear? around "we keep on" i think. that one isn't great, in my opinion. next is "surfin" which isn't so great. but then "bad heads and bad cats" or whatever, is pretty sweet. not sure if mariano is on "invisible documents". he might be and that one is good. but i defnitely like "bad heads..." though you definitely won't.

for a band which is lead by the drummer, my main complaint with most embryo stuff is the drumming. it is recorded in a way i don't like-not heavy enough. and on albums like "we keep on" the rhythms feel leaden to me.

Guest akanalog

its funny. i like neither the sound of guitars or violins..

At all??? :huh:

yeah i am not reall a fan of guitars. i wish it was used less in fusion and electric jazz and jazzfunk and all that. it seems like many musicians thought it was necessary to have some guitar in there, but it really detracts to me.

i like some larry coryell, actually in this context, though. and i like guitar in other contexts. like gabor szabo and grant green-their albums are awesome. but i wish a lot of the 70s stuff i like would be minus the guitar. if it is just rhythmic and heavy on the effects or the wah-that can be ok-but lead guitar-nah. no offense, joe. just how i hear it.

return to forever came up before-i wonder how much better an album like romantic warrior would be without so much intrusive guitar. if the guitar was say, another keyboard or tenor sax or something-that would be nice to hear.

this is also why i don't listen to rock music. too guitar heavy.

violin i like even less, but it isn't around enough to really complain about it, in my listening world.

Embryo are hit-or-miss, certainly. What I've heard with Mariano has been live concert recordings, which didn't faze me as much as some of the stuff they recorded without him in North Africa, Turkey, and the Near East - ethnic shit with troupes of local musicians. Embryo's Reise, for example. There's also one hell of a 2LP set that comes enclosed in a cardboard box, and was for a time available by mail order through the band. It's phenomenal, but not so easy to get these days... Surfin' is not so great, though.

Some of their work, ironically, reminds me a bit of the Don Cherry ethno-jazz material, which fernando may get a kick out of... Organic Music, Ankara, Blue Lake, even the orchestral shit.

Soft Machine are a good call, but I'd steer more in the direction of Five than Six. Just my personal preference, though - it's more "free fusion" than anything I guess.

Edited by clifford_thornton