Recent Down Loads And Additions From E - Music

Soulstation1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Revenant Ayler box is now available, albeait with the dreaded "One or more tracks from this recording are unavailable at this time". A comparison of track lists reveals that the only music missing is:

Pharoah Sanders Ensemble w/Albert Ayler

January 21, 1968 in New York City

5. Venus/Upper and Lower Egypt

from disk 6.

I went for a booster pack and am grabbing the music before they change their mind. I have decided to pass on the interviews for the time being.

I already own the Joe Lee Wilson on Candid they just added and like it.

Also picked up the Ron Thomas Trio - Doloroso. Have wanted to hear more Ron Thomas since his great performance on Pat Martino - Live. That was on electric piano, but Doloroso is all acoustic and very good.

one label just added its repertoire to the US-only emusic listners. (some tracks of some records are somewhat not available to me, although I have all of them anyway on disc)

Austrian Quinton label with artist like W.Muthspiel, A. Shilkoper, W. Puschnig, Linda Sharrock etc...all 19 albums are available for downloading although missing the great art work.

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

• 2 weeks later...

They just added Enemy Records, so now there are a bunch of albums by Sonny Sharrock, Elliot Sharp, Defunkt, James Chance, and Last Exit (w/Brotzmann, Sharrock, Laswell and Ronald Shannon Jackson). If you're into downtown NYC jazz/noise-rock, this is good stuff.

Sun Ra: "We Travel the Spaceways / Bad and the Beautiful", "When Angels Speak of Love" and "Sun Sound Pleasure".

Jessica Williams: "Live at Yoshi's" Volumes 1 & 2.

Danny D'Imperio: "Blues for Philly Joe."

Jimmy Guiffre, Paul Bley & Steve Swallow: "Fly Away Little Bird".

Torbjorn Sunde: "Where is the Chet".

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Out here in the wildlands of Houston without my collection, I've been bored and needing music and discovered that eMusic works quite well with iTunes, so I joined.

Have gotten some Gigi, Laswell, Bartz, Revolutionary Ensemble, and other albums in download, including the fantastic "Love Songs" by Patty Waters and Jessica Williams.

Some downloads here sound better than others. . . . The Xanadu Pee Wee Williams I loaded sounds awful. I bet the Woody Shaw "Blackstone Legacy" cd sounds better than the download. But some sound great. Overall I think iTunes music store downloads sound much better, but then they're more than twice as expensive.

Out here in the wildlands of Houston without my collection, I've been bored and needing music and discovered that eMusic works quite well with iTunes, so I joined.

Have gotten some Gigi, Laswell, Bartz, Revolutionary Ensemble, and other albums in download, including the fantastic "Love Songs" by Patty Waters and Jessica Williams.

Some downloads here sound better than others. . . . The Xanadu Pee Wee Williams I loaded sounds awful. I bet the Woody Shaw "Blackstone Legacy" cd sounds better than the download. But some sound great. Overall I think iTunes music store downloads sound much better, but then they're more than twice as expensive.

An alternative exchange just now has raised in my mind the issue of whether, when you download material, you get accurate credits with it. Do you get, for instance, songwriter info? And is it accurate? (I mean, more accurate than AMG, of course.)

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

Lon, I haven't looked for a while, but i recall that all the Xanadu stuff on emusic was taken from LP needle drops (they used to state that and may still). So yeah, they are inferior quality. I've found that most of the mp3s sound very good now, at least the ones done at VBR. Before they switched to VBR, their mp3s really did suck.

Yeah, but I have almost all the Xanadus on lp or on cdr from lps and they sound TEN TIMES BETTER than this Pee Wee or a few other Xanadus I "listened" to.

Shame.

Anyway, I'm not really complaining, the price is right, a lot of this stuff I'm just going to listen to on the iBook and headphones or via my Bose powered speakerws for the iBook. Just downloaded and am now listnening to "Viva Brazil" by Tania Maria. I really like Tania! This one sounds good. Just as Marty Grosz's "And His Hot Combination" on Arbors; good cd, good sound.

Lon,

If you go for the $19.99 per month package from eMusic, you get 90 downloads. That's about $.22 per tune, which is less than a third of the cost of a song on iTunes. One thing I will say about "i", however, is that's it's a musical playground. I'm starting to put together some discs for a college reunion and I'm having a ball just checking out all it has to offer. For jazz, though, eMusic is the only way to go.

I downloaded a lot of the Xanadu material from "e" awhile back and while some of it is OK, it has an echo-y quality I don't much care for. Especially if vibes are involved. Nonetheless, it's still nice to be able to get those recordings, even if the sound isn't as good as we'd all like it to be.

Hope everything is going OK for you.

Up over and out.

Dave, thanks, things are going "reasonably well."

Yes, I'm enrolled on the 19.99 per month and as I say, the price is right, I'm not really complaining. But Xanadu lps can sound fantastic, and the sound of these Xanadu downloads really are inexcusably bad if you're familiar with the lp sounds. It's a shame!

I've already bought a booster pack. May buy another before my July replenishment. I'm here with not enough music, and that's not a good sitaution!

Lon,

Beware of booster pack creep. When you add 50 tunes, the unit cost is twice what it is for the "basic" package. I've fallen into this trap several times. On a couple of occasions I even "boosted" to the point they wouldn't let me buy any more. I can tell you from personal experience that the humiliation of being placed on booster probabtion is more horrible than you can begin to imagine. Fortunately, I've learned how to manage my tendencies better, so now I just wait for my plan to re-up about the 21st of each month and go from there.

eMusic's newest pitch is an annual membership with unlimited downloads. I haven't done the math on that one, but it has to be a pretty good deal The problem, needless to say, is that it requires the outlay of a fair amount of cash at one time as opposed to paying on a month to month basis.

Up over and out.

Yeah, I can do the math and know that booster packing isn't a good fiscal habit. But this is a period of time I have a lot of time on my hands in waiting rooms and infusion rooms and at the little work desk here in my "studio" apartment. So if it costs me a little more, that's okay. It's still cheaper than my forays out of boredom into half.com etc. are! And it gives me something to do downloading, searching for covers, designing trays etc. Really it's therapeutic for me right now.