Ebay craziness

• 3 weeks later...

See if your library can get them through interlibrary loan if they don't have them locally.

Chicago Public Library has a fairly impressive collection of the early Mosaics, though I don't think they have been keeping up. (Fortunately doing much better on the DVD side with Criterion.) However, they are in reference, so no loaning over night, and definitely no loaning to other libraries (I would be very doubtful if any library would do interlibrary loan for OOP items quite frankly). So that means you need a long afternoon to go in to the music reference section and request them to be played over their equipment. It takes a lot of patience. More than I have frankly.

I saw that a Complete Buddy De Franco/Sonny Clark-MOSAIC 4CD Set went fo nearly $360 including shipping, $90 a disc, ouch. :o :o :o

I think that one was brand new, from a seller who seems to have a lot of low numbered (some single digit), very early, brand new sets. Has "Blue Note" in his moniker and is from Stamford, CT. Wonder if it's the company itself selling some excess stock? (I know, I know, it could be anybody, but who's fortunate to get a single numbered set besides some big wig?)

New or mint Buddy De Franco's go for about that much. However, I noticed a brand new LP version went recently for $200 less.

See if your library can get them through interlibrary loan if they don't have them locally.

Chicago Public Library has a fairly impressive collection of the early Mosaics, though I don't think they have been keeping up. (Fortunately doing much better on the DVD side with Criterion.) However, they are in reference, so no loaning over night, and definitely no loaning to other libraries (I would be very doubtful if any library would do interlibrary loan for OOP items quite frankly). So that means you need a long afternoon to go in to the music reference section and request them to be played over their equipment. It takes a lot of patience. More than I have frankly.

Will they let you bring in a CD burner? :g

I saw that a Complete Buddy De Franco/Sonny Clark-MOSAIC 4CD Set went fo nearly $360 including shipping, $90 a disc, ouch. :o :o :o

I think that one was brand new, from a seller who seems to have a lot of low numbered (some single digit), very early, brand new sets. Has "Blue Note" in his moniker and is from Stamford, CT. Wonder if it's the company itself selling some excess stock? (I know, I know, it could be anybody, but who's fortunate to get a single numbered set besides some big wig?)

New or mint Buddy De Franco's go for about that much. However, I noticed a brand new LP version went recently for $200 less.

Isn't that a certain 'Mr C.' of Stamford, CT?

Yea I noticed that there seems to be quite a few still sealed editions of some early sets on there. I think that prices like the Buddy De Franco/Sonny Clark one a few and far between. I think I may hold on the OOP ones I have that I don't really listen to a bit longer. :D :D :D

• 1 month later...

Nat King Cole Trio "Capitol Recordings" Mosaic Box:mint

Over $700 including shipping, dats-gotta-hurt. Recession? what recession?

Plus it's summertime and people are away on vacation (or are they?). Usually this is a bad time to be selling on eBay and a good time for buyers, yet I've seen no drop off for that reason either. Perhaps with all the "stay-cations" happening, folks have more money to buy Mosaics.

• 5 weeks later...

Isn't that a certain 'Mr C.' of Stamford, CT?

If so, 'Mr C.' is selling another brand new Buddy De Franco. Two days still left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPLETE-BUDDY-DeFRANC...4#ht_500wt_1182

Apparently, the B.D.F.'s were never hand-numbered. He also has the Count Basie Live and Phil Woods sets for sale.

Edited by mellowT

He also has the Count Basie Live and Phil Woods sets for sale.

Hush now! I plan to go for that basie. :o)

Yeah, seriously, you're killing me man.

Ebay craziness posts should only be posted when the bids have become unreasonable or already ended at an unreasonable winning bid!

Edited by zanonesdelpueblo

What's crazy are the shipping charges for boxed sets from San Francisco seller. $36, $45? Sounds like someone is more interested in keeping ebay's mits off of more of the purchase price. I've always found this a little unsavory.

Ebay ultimately gets you (the seller) either way. What they miss on a final value fee they tap into with paypal........

Well, no one is forcing anyone to use ebay, or deal with a seller who has excessive shipping fees.

I have been less enthusiastic about selling on ebay since they required accepting paypal, as there is no easy way to exclude credit and debit card transactions. I tried listing that in my offerings and winners often overlooked/ignored it. But ebay had to do something with all of the fraud that was taking place due to certain crooked sellers.

Well, no one is forcing anyone to use ebay, or deal with a seller who has excessive shipping fees.

I have been less enthusiastic about selling on ebay since they required accepting paypal, as there is no easy way to exclude credit and debit card transactions. I tried listing that in my offerings and winners often overlooked/ignored it. But ebay had to do something with all of the fraud that was taking place due to certain crooked sellers.

I didn't know they required paypal, thanks for the tip.

Now someone needs to explain to me why someone paid slightly more for a used edition of The Complete H.R.S. Sessions, $100, when they could have gotten a new one from Mosaic for $96???

The Complete H.R.S. Sessions Mosaic MD6-187

Now someone needs to explain to me why someone paid slightly more for a used edition of The Complete H.R.S. Sessions, $100, when they could have gotten a new one from Mosaic for $96???

Is that set back-ordered, maybe?

Sellers have to offer paypal as an option to buyers.

Some people get caught up in the moment in auctions instead of doing a bit of research before clicking "Bid now."

I remember a guy in a store having a used LP reissue of Charlie Parker's Bird at St. Nick's while it was still in print for $15. Buyer beware.

Is that set back-ordered, maybe?

Nope, it's not on backorder, tranemonk recently ordered it and they had it in stock.

Ebay craziness posts should only be posted when the bids have become unreasonable or already ended at an unreasonable winning bid!

Do obscene Buy-It-Now auctions qualify? If so, here's an interesting one: http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Complete-Capitol-R...f#ht_500wt_1182

Only $1,700 for a new Nat King Cole Mosaic. Get it while it's hot! :crazy:

(I'll expect a 10% referral fee.)

Do obscene Buy-It-Now auctions qualify? If so, here's an interesting one: http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Complete-Capitol-R...f#ht_500wt_1182

Only $1,700 for a new Nat King Cole Mosaic. Get it while it's hot! :crazy:

(I'll expect a 10% referral fee.)

Yeah, but shipping is a bargain at $3.

• 2 weeks later...