Ebay craziness

First of all I do not think "most" of the music is pedestrian. A lot of it is not to my taste, but we're talking about a huge amount of music on offer over the years. I think the majority can be called very good to great. This coming from a guy who's primarily a fan of avant-garde and free jazz - not usually a Mosaic specialty. I'm going crazy over the recent Braxton and Threadgill sets by the way.

As for that Ebay auction - he's asking about $15,000 too much; $25,000-$30,000 would actually be a reasonable asking price AND he would see a good profit. He would have a better chance of making closer to the asking price if he sold them individually, but that would be a heck of a lot of work and could take years.

I don't like storing my Mosaic boxes that way (upright like books). It causes uneven forces on the bottom corners. I had my carpenter buddy make a deep case with low shelves so I could lay 3 mosaic boxes flat, side-by-side. The shelves are high enough to allow one more box be stacked on top of each. The 5' case has 20 shelves and puts far less stress on the boxes. I don't keep the CDs/vinyl in the boxes.

If there's an award for most-long-winded-unsolicited-remark, I won it. No, I don't own 120 Mosaic boxes yet.

edit: spelling

Edited by DemonDuckOfDoom

I don't like storing my Mosaic boxes that way (upright like books). It causes uneven forces on the bottom corners.

That may work for CD's but I think you're risking warping your vinyl when stored horizontally.

Yes, I agree. I mentioned that I don't keep the CDs/LPs in the boxes. I can understand not making it far enough in to read that :lol:

I don't like storing my Mosaic boxes that way (upright like books). It causes uneven forces on the bottom corners.

That may work for CD's but I think you're risking warping your vinyl when stored horizontally.

Yes, I agree. I mentioned that I don't keep the CDs/LPs in the boxes. I can understand not making it far enough in to read that :lol:

Ahhh... I see it now. So you keep the LP's in separate, plain jackets elsewhere?

I don't have many LPs from Mosaic or any one else. Including the recent Monk I have three Mos boxes and 12 CD sets, but yes, I generally jacket LPs from my boxsets (Sonic Youth stuff and classical mostly).

I would be curious to hear from someone who's been collecting LPs for years - does it harm a box to store them upright? I've only been collecting vinyl for 13 months :blush:

There's probably a vinyl thread for this question...off to look for it.

Edited by DemonDuckOfDoom

• 2 weeks later...

Prices for BN Hank Mobley originals going up, up and away???

Hank Mobley

So much for the credit crunch. :rolleyes:

Actually, if you've got savings, you're not getting anything much for them no matter where you put them, so you might as well spend.

'Course, I wouldn't spend that dosh for a hard bop album :bwallace2:

Or even the 1963 LP of Mamadou Doumbia, alias Percey - "Super bebe" on Philips :)

MG

I've got a chance to grab the Jimmy Giuffre Mosaic set for $125 (not on Ebay, actually)....is that pretty much at the lowest end of what it will go for these days? I don't generally scour Ebay for this one, but Amazon sellers have it from $225 all the way up to $400. I guess it's a rhetorical question, since I will most likely grab it, and I love these recordings, even if, in this case, I REALLY wish Mosaic had gone with original album track orders.

Update:

I DID end up grabbing this...it was at a local Half Price Books, selling for $249 (somebody's been following eBay prices?), but it was still around for the day my 50% off coupon!! Still, my other Mosaic purchase at this location was a better deal.....the Nat King Cole set for $80 :excited:

Edited by tatifan

I don't like storing my Mosaic boxes that way (upright like books). It causes uneven forces on the bottom corners. I had my carpenter buddy make a deep case with low shelves so I could lay 3 mosaic boxes flat, side-by-side. The shelves are high enough to allow one more box be stacked on top of each. The 5' case has 20 shelves and puts far less stress on the boxes. I don't keep the CDs/vinyl in the boxes.

If there's an award for most-long-winded-unsolicited-remark, I won it. No, I don't own 120 Mosaic boxes yet.

edit: spelling

Re: uneven forces --- if you're storing them empty, what's the worry?

I wouldn't call this "eBay craziness" (at least not yet ;) ), but good news for buyers and completists. There's a lady that just started selling her first 10 Mosaic box sets. They appear to be consistently in mint sealed or mint unwrapped condition. Here's what piqued my interest:

This massive collection of mint Mosaic sets were purchased from a former executive of Mosaic Records. In the coming months we will be featuring the complete Mosaic catalogue. Most of these sets are serial numbered between #2-60.

Care to venture a guess of who that might be?