ICP Orchestra - Austin Texas 4/3

*do* go! I saw them in November, and it was one hell of a great concert! Beautiful music, from beginning to end... from Ellington to "conducted" pieces (meaning the violin lady, the 'bonist, or - most funny to watch - the elderly cello-maniac jumping around in the middle of a stage like doing some kind of tarantella and giving handsigns to all the other musicians...)

What a great bunch of musicians! And Mengelberg, although looking pretty old and tired, still is able to create whole soundscapes with just a couple of strokes.

Among the horns, all were fine, wtih Delius (definitely a madman...) and Moore (what a great clarinet player he is! I too often just think of him as an alto player) providing highlights and Baars being the least compelling musician.

Bennink is of course just great, so is Honsinger (the cello maniac).

And the sound they get is simply stunning. All of jazz' history is in it, plus a lot more (free improv, european influences, marching music...), yet in the end they create something out of it that is standing on/for its own, completely, out of these most disparate sources they're using.

Here are the tour dates from www.icporchestra.com

March 21 New York - TONIC - www.tonic.nyc.com

March 23 Albuqerque - OUTPOST (with KENNY DAVERN !) - www.outpostspace.org

March 24 Los Angeles - CLUB TROPICAL - www.cryptonight.com

March 25 Seattle - EARSHOT JAZZ - www.earshotjazz.org

March 26 San Francisco - GREAT AMERICAN MUSIC HALL - www.sfjazz.org

March 28 Ann Arbor - KERRYTOWN CONCERT HOUSE - www.kerrytownconcerthouse.com

March 29 Pittsburgh - t.b.a.

March 30 Amherst - University of Massachusetts - www.fineartscenter.com/magictriangle

March 31 Boston - ICA - www.icaboston.org

April 1 Chicago - HOT HOUSE - www.hothouse.net

April 2 Chicago - CULTURAL CENTER - www.chicagoculturalcenter.org

April 3 Austin - t.b.a. - www.epistrophyarts.org

April 4 & 5 Houston - t.b.a. - www.pofinc.org

European Tour Dates

April 08 Amsterdam Bimhuis www.bimhuis.nl

April 09 Geneva AMR www.amr-geneve.ch

April 11 Groningen Oosterpoort www.de-oosterpoort.nl

I know this isn't in the recommendations forum but any recs re ICP ?

I love Misha M's work on Who's Bridge, Senne Sing Songand the disc with Dave Douglas (Four?)

Agreed, Four in One is a very good disc - great solos by Douglas (even more so than Misha in this instance, imho).

Baars usually does nothing for me (well at least the one time I saw ICP live, on his own disc, Four, and on Mengelberg's Two Days in Chicago).

Expect some fine solos from Heberer, Moore, Delius, and Misha if he happens to be in the mood for bothering to play - and yes, fun it will surely be.

I love Misha M's work on Who's Bridge, Senne Sing Songand the disc with Dave Douglas (Four?)

Oh! My Dog! is also quite good. I have a number of their 70s releases also and it's really a shame that more of that material isn't on CD.

Edited by clifford_thornton

Missed this the first time around. My favorites are Jubilee Varia and Oh My Dog. Their most recent, Aan & Uit, and Boospadje Konijnehol (I) are not bad but I would recommend them only if you are or become a fan.