Aug 5th RVGs

Soul Stream

what are you WAITING for!  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not enthusiastic about any of them, but my vote goes to "Indestructible." Mine has a bunch of surface scratches which don't affect play but affect my sense of self-satisfaction whenever I look at them! ;)

I will probably buy only three: "Indestructible," "our Man in Paris," and either the Silver or the Grant Green. I'm not upgrading just to have everything new. I'm keeping some of the older copies. I'm sick of spending money on remasterings.

I have all of these, so, as my cd budget is pretty tight these days, it will be a while before I pick up any of them. If I didn't have any of these, it would be a tossup between Grantstand and Indestructable, the later of which is one of my favortite Blakey albums.

The Horace Silver Trio sides.

My BN Liberty LP (electronic stereo) needs a replacement.

I won't get the others in their reincarnations.

How many times and in how many different formats are they going to release Blue Train?

I bought the Ultimate Blue Train CD already because it had alternates. I still prefer

the original LP version. Those W63rd Street mono pressings were not bettered and the Blue

Note vinyls were magic. I must have played that LP thousands of times. My ears will

probably give up before that LP gets a better sound.

Don't want to sound like a sour grape. All those BN dates are great and should be

in everybody's collections.

My Grantstand could use a sonic upgrade. Can't have too much Grant Green.

There is some audible tape deterioration on the JRVG of "Horace Silver Trio" which is not present on the old U.S. CD. (This damage had occurred in the 10 years or so between the issue of the two CDs.) This will obviously show up on the new RVG, so the TOCJ is the way to go if you want the best sound without tape problems, for the tracks that are on it. The RVG will, of course, have several tracks that weren't on the Japanese CDs or the LP.

I'll be picking up the Rollins and Blakey titles as I don't have either of them yet.  I'm generally not an "upgrader" - too much other stuff to pick up.

I'm not really into the upgrading thing either; I'd rather hear stuff that I've never heard before instead of "re-buying". BUT, I'll probably still pick up BLUE TRAIN, because I have the mid-eighties version that doesn't have any alternates. Hopefully the upgrade will be worth it sonically as well.

I didn't vote because I only have the last two (from the list) on cd, but I guess I'm most intrigued by the Horace Silver trio set.

BTW, I didn't think these were coming out so soon; it seems odd that BN would have two RVG "batches" in back-to-back months, followed by the October Conns. But, hey, I don't think any of us are complaining. :D

Edited by pryan

There is some audible tape deterioration on the JRVG of "Horace Silver Trio" which is not present on the old U.S. CD. (This damage had occurred in the 10 years or so between the issue of the two CDs.) This will obviously show up on the new RVG, so the TOCJ is the way to go if you want the best sound without tape problems, for the tracks that are on it. The RVG will, of course, have several tracks that weren't on the Japanese CDs or the LP.

How bad, or how long are these defects? What songs are affected? Because I was sure looking forward to this one.

Thanks for the tips!