Aug 5th RVGs

Soul Stream

what are you WAITING for!  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GregM

Does anyone know if the Blue Trane will be the exact same remastering as on the hybrid CD/SACD that was recently released or will it be different?

Don't know, but why would anyone hold off on a version remastered by Van Gelder for a version remastered by Van Gelder? :rolleyes:

Okay,

I've got five of the six titles. I gave them a good spin each and here's my verdict:

I will get the Horace Silver because I don't own it.

Dexter's "Our Man in Paris" sounds fine in its original version.

So does Rollins.

On the other hand, "Grantstand" badly needs an upgrade. That one for sure. So that's two purchases for sure.

"Indestructible" is probably worth upgrading as well though I could live with the orginal version. Mine has a few minor scratches, so I will upgrade for that reason. That's three of the six new RVGs I will be buying.

Haven't yet decided on "BlueTrain."

• 2 weeks later...

anyone else picked these up today?

i went for indestructible and grantstand as i've got the others.

the sound seems pretty good on both.

i'm liking the blakey one a lot. the cover design is one of my favourites.

i'm thinking about getting the horace one as it's got 4 extra tracks than the tocj version i've got. worth the upgrade ?

I picked up the Blakey along with some other goodies with a Tower Gift Card.

This is my first time hearing 'Indestructible' and it is VERY nice. Nothing out of the ordinary but surely some smoking hard-bop at its best. The writing for the band is tremendous ( I want to hear more Fuller, that first tune is tight!! ) and the solos are wonderful. I'm listening to Calling Miss Khadija as I write.

Can anyone speak of the music on 'Grantstand'? Grant Green/ organ soul-jazz is not exactly part of my listening routine right now but I'll probably pick it up later if it's a worthy record. I also passed on the others for now as they don't interest me that much but I was eyeing the Rollins, as I have very little of him in my collection.

I'm really gearing up for September 2nd.

Peace!

Edited by Templejazz

I didn't buy the Green or Coltrane, as I already have those. I bought the other 4, and have only listened to part of the Blakey so far. What I heard kicked ass! I'm really looking forward to the rest of this, as well as all the others. It really makes me happy to see so many of these available now. :tup

I picked up "Grantstand" and "Indestructible" this afternoon. Wanted to get the Horace and Gordon, but Tower had these all at $12.99!!!! Not the usual $9.99 or $8.99 they usually have these for on the day of release here locally. The main jazz guy said he couldn't price them that they this time. <_<

Anyway, that stunk. So I only got two. Guess I'll have to online the others for the cheap price.

....as for the question about the music on "Grantstand." It's simply some of the best organ quartet stuff ever done. IMHO, of course. But I'm a VERY biased person. ;):D

Funny Soul Stream, I picked up the same two at Tower, and for the very same reason..well, that and the fact that those were the only two my Tower had in stock! (Weird, huh?)

Have only listened to GRANTSTAND so far, but it sounds WAY better than the old U.S. version. Hello, mama!

Edited by DrJ

the problem with borders is they only get one copy at a time on the new reissues.

the new reissues are probably in the back stockroom, if they haven't been picked up already. ask the service deck and they can check their stock.

they had the new release stuff loaded up on a cart, but no new rvgs on the cart and the cart was packed.

i didn't have time to wait for them to check the stockrooms.

call first

it will save you time

ss1

For me, "Indestructible" is a major revealation. I REALLY love it. Curtis Fuller is a major contribution to the Morgan/Shorter front. His solos, often disparaged, really frame his bandmates perfectly. Curtis' writing is superb on here.

GREAT RVG! :D

....by the way...how does "Our Man In Paris" sound. I have the old original Blue Note silver disc.

Hey, why don't these guys stay open til Midnight on monday nights so we can buy these upon their release MINUTE!!!! :D

Again, I find myself agreeing with Soul Stream.

I'll take it one step further. Everything should be open 24 hours a day. Full employment for everyone! :P

I just opened my CDUniverse package with all 6 of the 8/5 releases....yeah, I know, another copy of Blue Train....

I'm playing them alphabetically, this is quickly becomming one of my favorite Blakeys. Very nice.

Edited by mgraham333

Hey, why don't these guys stay open til Midnight on monday nights so we can buy these upon their release MINUTE!!!! :D I mean, they do it for Harry Potter and Emenem. Why not Grant Green!!!!!!

Because for every 100,000 Harry Potter fans there's one Grant Green fan. When as many people buy RVG's as Harry Potter books, believe me, they'll take notice!

(Imagine, the new RVG release being covered on TV news, people camped out in front of the stores for days, lines around the block.... ****sigh****) :D

Because for every 100,000 Harry Potter fans there's one Grant Green fan. When as many people buy RVG's as Harry Potter books, believe me, they'll take notice!

(Imagine, the new RVG release being covered on TV news, people camped out in front of the stores for days, lines around the block.... ****sigh****) :D

Yeah, and Kenny G would be voted President!