Summer 2006 RVGs

mgraham333

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping Rudy gets the chance to mine the vast Asian catalog of EMI.

You lost me Chuck. Private joke maybe?

BTW, I don't understand why anyone would want "The Jody Grind" RVG'ed. It's been revealed that "The Jody Grind" master tape is gone and that all CD releases have used an LP master tape (known in internet parlance as a "needle drop").

I suppose RVG did a nice job with Duke Pearson's "Sweet Honey Bee", which has the same problem, but from what I heard when I compared the original CD to the RVG, it wasn't a dramatic improvement.

Kevin

I suppose RVG did a nice job with Duke Pearson's "Sweet Honey Bee", which has the same problem, but from what I heard when I compared the original CD to the RVG, it wasn't a dramatic improvement.

By "original CD", do you mean the Rare Grooves issue from 1993 or thereabouts? Now I haven't heard the RVG, but I can attest that the TOCJ-4252 release (while still dubbed from vinyl, of course) is a quite noticeable improvement over the Rare Grooves edition. So I would think it's possible to top the rather so-so tranfer of the earlier Jody Grind as well.

BTW, I don't understand why anyone would want "The Jody Grind" RVG'ed. It's been revealed that "The Jody Grind" master tape is gone and that all CD releases have used an LP master tape (known in internet parlance as a "needle drop").

Kevin

A "needle drop" is a literal dubbing of a pressing. That indeed is the case with Jody Grind - listen carefully and you can hear groove noise.

Kevin

A "needle drop" is a literal dubbing of a pressing. That indeed is the case with Jody Grind - listen carefully and you can hear groove noise.

So that makes it even groovier!

Top of the list should be (...) And ZT's Blues!

Not half as good as it looks on paper, sorry to say.

I'd rather like to see Stanley's first one, "Look Out!", which I've never heard. Also the Minton's dates are great, but I guess I won't downgrade from regular CD to cactus...

ZT is good but not as good as one would expect, you're right. Still, it shouldn't be out of print. But Look Out is absolutely swell indeed. Good call!

And while I'm here: The Rajah and Far Away Lands need to be back on the racks...