Miles - On the Corner and Beyond

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been reported at AAJ that Jazzloft sent out an email announcing the delay.

Indeed they did.

Their <$100.00 pre-sale price was tempting, but then I read that they were going to charge your card immediately, not at time of shipping..

Uh-uh.

I sprung for Jazz Loft anyways because of the price....and to my surprise, on the receipt, it said that they wouldn't charge my card until it shipped. I checked my credit card online, and sure enough, no charge. So order away at Jazz Loft with no fear!

The delay is truly odd, since the box set is available at online music sites, like iTunes and Yahoo Music. My wife is a subscriber to the latter, and while I couldn’t purchase the entire box set from Yahoo Music if I wanted to (all but a handful of the tracks were available), when working from home yesterday I was able to stream the entire box set from bow to stern. (And, man, it is goooooood and it sounded great.)

Not to complain, but Pete Losin’s (terrific) website lists at least a few sessions from the 1972-1976 period that are not on the box set. Any ideas why some sessions weren’t considered as “On the Corner” sessions, while some were? I think some of these sessions showed up on the old “Unknown Sessions” series from Kind of Blue (that I hear about but can never find).

This is shaping up like the Cellar Door fiasco. We ain't seeing it this year, I'll bet.

Without going through Losin's listings with a fine tooth comb, I'm guessing most of the 'missing' material is stuff on which Miles doesn't actually play. A lot of studio recordings from this period are sketches of compositions or tracks intended to be overdubbed later- Miles couldn't always be depended on to be in the best of shape in those years.

Not that the Miles-less stuff on 'Unknown Sessions' is without interest.

Just noticed this on AAJ:

"September 2007

«28» The Complete On The Corner Sessions boxed set was earmarked for release September 25 in the US, but production problems have caused a delay of a week. The official US release date is now October 2. The UK and German release dates have been put back to October 29.

SOURCE: http://www.milesbeyond.com/ (Check the 'News' section...and also the book for fans of Miles 70's period)"

Good ol' Europe.. :angry:

Just noticed this on AAJ:

"September 2007

«28» The Complete On The Corner Sessions boxed set was earmarked for release September 25 in the US, but production problems have caused a delay of a week. The official US release date is now October 2. The UK and German release dates have been put back to October 29.

SOURCE: http://www.milesbeyond.com/ (Check the 'News' section...and also the book for fans of Miles 70's period)"

Good ol' Europe.. :angry:

Well, it doesn't look like it's available in the US today ...

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...24605&BAB=B ("Backordered")

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Corner-Sess.../dp/B000TLMWMO/ ("Usually ships within 4 to 6 weeks")

Hmm - looks like a nice big fat booklet full of essays in there.. :excited:

I hope they are not printed in yellow text on orange background, as in one of the previous Miles box sets (don't remember which one) :rolleyes:

The worst must have been the 'Plugged Nickel' notes, which ran all over the place wth font changes galore !

Hmm - looks like a nice big fat booklet full of essays in there.. :excited:

I hope they are not printed in yellow text on orange background, as in one of the previous Miles box sets (don't remember which one) :rolleyes:

That would be the In a Silent Way box.

As for the content of this box, there's this from www.miles-beyond.com:

"In addition, the liner notes for the boxed set are very sketchy and incomplete. For instance, there's hardly any track by track discussion, as was found on previous boxed sets. Instead there's the briefest of introductions by Bob Belden, an essay by Tom Terrell that's high on impressionistic word play but low on factual information on the music, and an entertaining and informatve essay by Paul Buckmaster, that captures the spirit of the early June 1972 sessions well, but obviously says nothing about the sessions that came afterwards, as he wasn't involved. There are also a few errors in the liner notes and discography."

"In addition, the liner notes for the boxed set are very sketchy and incomplete. For instance, there's hardly any track by track discussion, as was found on previous boxed sets. Instead there's the briefest of introductions by Bob Belden, an essay by Tom Terrell that's high on impressionistic word play but low on factual information on the music, and an entertaining and informatve essay by Paul Buckmaster, that captures the spirit of the early June 1972 sessions well, but obviously says nothing about the sessions that came afterwards, as he wasn't involved. There are also a few errors in the liner notes and discography."
Hey! Maybe Vince W noticed these mistakes and is trying to get them corrected before putting the box out!

heh, heh...

Hey! Maybe Vince W noticed these mistakes and is trying to get them corrected before putting the box out!

heh, heh...

:rofl: