Kenny Dorham's Blue Lament. 1961 unissued BN session.

Hardbopjazz

On 11/23/2022 at 12:36 PM, bresna said:

I'm listening again to this and I do have to agree with Chuck that it's probably Charles Davis' playing that has kept this date from being released. But now that Michael Cuscuna is gone and Blue Note seems more willing to release stuff like this, I suspect we all might get a chance to hear this on a official release someday.

The 1959 Blakey came out because Zev Feldman wanted it released and talked Don Was into it. Cuscuna's previous assessment seems to have been ignored, or maybe he changed his mind?

If Zev pushes the KD date it might have a chance. But does he care about this one?

Edited by bertrand

On 11/24/2022 at 6:45 AM, Joe said:

I need to listen to this one again... but my recollection is that my first listening experience was too painful (disappointing, but more than that) to make me want to listen to it again. 

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

The Blakey session was not without merit. I'm afraid that the Dorham is. 

I was motivated to relisten by Joe's comment. I do not find the session meritless.

3 hours ago, bertrand said:

One was recorded by the Messengers around the same time (Blue Ching). Blue Lament was recorded by Don Sickler years later. The other four are orphaned.

If I remember correctly, Blue Lament appeared only years later on a CD reissue? I know I replaced the vinyl I had when I found out that a CD - Music of Kenny Dorham - had several extra tracks.

I must admit I never bought the BN unrelease or rejected sessions or tracks too happily. The first CD pressings of the classic BN albums didn´t have so many alternative tracks and the Japanese CDs never had those " bonus tracks". 
Maybe I´m alone with that opinion, but for me there is much enough BN material that was considered worth for issuing when it was the time it was recorded. 
As for Kenny Dorham: I have his earlier BN albums with the original Messengers, the Afro Cuban album and the live album at Bohemia. 
The next album that really fascinates me is "Una Mas". I later bought the "Whistle Blow" from the early 60´s, but not because I wanted to buy it but it was in the last days of record shops and some guy showed it to me and I thought, ok Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones, why not. But it was too much like the typical hard bop albums of the 50´s , and the early 60´s already was the time for other movements, so after one listening I think it is somewhere...., while "Una Mas" with Joe Henderson and Tony Williams is of much more interest for me. 
So there is little chance I might hear an unreleased session, even more because I read a lot of comments here that it was not a good session with musicians not in best form, and to study their music I prefer to here them in a fine playing mood.....

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

This one is weak, physically weak. people chops are down and/or impaired. And nobody triumphs over it, they succumb to it.

while this is a weak session, GGreen's solos, especially on 9 1/2 street remind of his playing on the sessions with parlan and ervin and are among his best. 1961 was a great year for him.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 12:53 PM, EKE BBB said:

So would I. Not many issued Kenny Dorham sessions are weak, from my perspective.

That is true - I have a fair few that were also radio broadcasts and would love to see more issued  - as they did with the Half Note sessions

I just gave the Blue Lament another play and in particular Mason Dixon Line - I still like it