Ben Webster

Durium

On 23/03/2014 at 6:06 PM, Cyril said:

I have that album. This are 3 concerts. Recordings from 1969 and from 1973, the year of his death....The final concert...

His last words: ‘Son, you are young and growing, and I am old and going, so have your fun while you can.’

On Thursday the 6th of September 1973 Ben has a gig in 'De Twee Spieghels' in Leiden. A concert that would become historical ...

Ben Walenkamp, the manager of the club, remembers that Ben wasn't in good shape, He was accompanied that evening by the Irv Rocklin Trio, featuring Irv Rocklin at the piano, Henk Haverhoek on double bass and Peter Ypma on drums.

Durium wrote a good article:

As Brownie noted on page 1, the first CD of Ben Webster The Holland Sessions contains two studio dates recorded at the Bovema Studio in Heemstede. (Incidentally, this is where I live).

https://blog.discogs.com/en/emi-in-the-netherlands-gramophone-house/

u399-_Bovema-studio-_Heemstede_Overbosla

u2322-u402-_Gramophone-_House.jpg

Edited by erwbol

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎25‎-‎5‎-‎2018 at 11:07 PM, erwbol said:

As Brownie noted on page 1, the first CD of Ben Webster The Holland Sessions contains two studio dates recorded at the Bovema Studio in Heemstede. (Incidentally, this is where I live).

It are 3 concerts !!! Two studio dates and the last one is a live recording.   It's recorded on September 6, 1973 at Café - Sociëteit 'De Twee Spieghels', Leiden.

Recorded by Ton Olde Monnikhof on a Akai stereo cassette - recorder and 2 microphones. Recordings compiled by Frank Jansen. Recordings electronically improved at EMI's Intertone Studios, Heemstede, The Netherlands by Maarten Proost.

Previously released on vinyl longplay as "Last Concert". Ben with Irv Rocklin - piano, Henk Haverhoek - bass and Peter Ypma on drums.

What do you mean 3 concerts? Only disc 2 is live and was recorded on a single day. Do you mean Ben played 3 sets at De Twee Spieghels that day? (I don't count studio dates as concerts.)

https://catalog.princeton.edu/catalog/7170122

Anyway, I ordered a copy this weekend. I look forward to hearing Ben play at the studio I pass so often with my dog on the way to the Haarlemmerhout:)

Edited by erwbol

• 3 years later...

I would love to hear the complete Ben Webster - Live in Rhode Island.  It would have the Enja "Live At Pio's," the two LP's on Honeydew, and the Joe Williams/Webster date on Hyena.  More importantly, what other tapes does Tom DiPietro (who recorded the Pio's date) have?

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

In Hot House, a Ben Webster live date with Tete Montoliu trio recorded in May 10, 1972 reissued on CD for the first time:

https://www.discogs.com/release/25329898-Ben-Webster-In-Hot-House  

Nice date, recorded at Jazzzolder Hot House (Leiden, Netherlands).

This one was recorded the day before, at the Haarlemse Jazzclub (Haarlem, Netherlands). Same rhythm section, except for Tony Inzalaco on drums instead of Eric Ineke:

Primary

2 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Nice date, recorded at Jazzzolder Hot House (Leiden, Netherlands).

This one was recorded the day before, at the Haarlemse Jazzclub (Haarlem, Netherlands). Same rhythm section, except for Tony Inzalaco on drums instead of Eric Ineke:

Primary

Looks like that will be rereleased soon in Japan: https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UVJZ-30178

Seeing that latter-day Ben Webster in the Netherlands is discussed here: How would you (who are more familiar with his output from these years) rate this one (see link below, recorded on 5 Aug. 1970 at Laren studio) by comparison with his "other" Dutch output?
It's an item I picked up some years ago on a whim from the sales bin but otherwise I'm not exactly familiar with his recordings from this period.

https://www.discogs.com/de/release/4669279-Ben-Webster-Ben-Op-Zijn-Best

Thanx! ;)

8 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Seeing that latter-day Ben Webster in the Netherlands is discussed here: How would you (who are more familiar with his output from these years) rate this one (see link below, recorded on 5 Aug. 1970 at Laren studio) by comparison with his "other" Dutch output?
It's an item I picked up some years ago on a whim from the sales bin but otherwise I'm not exactly familiar with his recordings from this period.

https://www.discogs.com/de/release/4669279-Ben-Webster-Ben-Op-Zijn-Best

Thanx! ;)

I've never seen that album before.  The August 5, 1970 recording date places it in between two other Webster titles I have: Ben & Teddy (Bern, Switzerland, May 1, 1970), and Wayfaring Webster (Holland, September 2, 1970).  Webster in those years was remarkably consistent - you won't find many surprises, but you will have a good time listening.

ben-and-teddy.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ef15c44wayfaring-webster-previously-unissued-re

13 hours ago, mjzee said:

I've never seen that album before.  The August 5, 1970 recording date places it in between two other Webster titles I have: Ben & Teddy (Bern, Switzerland, May 1, 1970), and Wayfaring Webster (Holland, September 2, 1970).  Webster in those years was remarkably consistent - you won't find many surprises, but you will have a good time listening.

Thanks Mjzee. The record is nice to listen to (the description of moments of "coasting" isn't all wrong either) but I was curious about how to view it in its overall context of Webster's output in those years. Therefore my question. And haven't we all become used to taking album titles like "At His Best" (such as this one) with a grain of salt? 😉

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just finished listening to "At Hot House."  Hearing his sound is like greeting an old friend.  Really good date.  A fresh rhythm section gives Ben propulsion - he sounds frisky.  Great Tete Montoliu.  Good sound quality.  And a word must be said for the club crowd: they are loud and enthusiastic.  A lot of fun.