cds desperately in need of remastering

'Agharta' and 'Pangaea' !

I have the latest (2001) japanese DSD remaster of "Pangea" (SRCS 9752/3), and I found it doesn't sound significantly better than the regular US/european CD released in 1991. If you have the old CDs, you're not missing anything.

My wishlist for remastered versions is:

- Gil Evans - The Individualism of Gil Evans // how is the japanese remaster?)

- Clifford Brown - Study in brown

- Booker Little (Time label) // if tapes exist

- Cecil Taylor Candid sessions // if they can be improved

- Charles Mingus Candid sessions // same

- Charles Mingus / Mingus at Antibes

Sweet Rain was scheduled for reissue some six years back. It never came out, presumably because a disagreement with the Getz estate which prevented the inclusion of any previously unreleased takes.

See this thread for more info:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=6052

I did try to email GRP and Verve, but never got a reply.

the probelms with 'sweet rain' stem from the master. i've heard four different pressings, including an original LP, and they all sound darker or more muddy than they should.

'the individualism of gil evans', however, is very sweet in its most recent mini-lp incarnation (POCJ-9210).

i know of a late 4100-series donald byrd title that's notorious... :w

-e-

Not jazz but...

The entire freakin' Beatles Catalogue! :angry:

The first four U.S. albums (Meet the Beatles, Second Album, Something New, and Beatles '65) have already been remastered and released as a box set. The box contains both stereo and mono mixes for each album.

The next four have been remastered and are due out in another box set next week. These are The Early Beatles, Beatles VI, Help!, and Rubber Soul. These are going to be in both mono and stereo as well, though there has been ALOT of discussion (see SH forums) about there being some sort of mixup with this box that is supposedly being corrected already.

Also, Let It Be has been remixed (on the Let It Be Naked release, which mixed the Spector stuff off of the release altogether), as has the Yellow Submarine Songtrack. And the Beatles 1 release was either remixed or remastered or both, too.

They ARE remastering (and/or remixing) this stuff, albeit slowly.

edit - I think after the second Capitol U.S. box, the UK/US releases were essentially the same. So I don't know if the series will continue as is for the rest of the catalogue proper, or if it will turn into straight remasters of the remaining releases. There are other things that have been discussed as possibilities for the third box set, such as the Live at the Hollywood Bowl LP, the Fan Club Christmas releases, the Past Masters stuff, and things like that.

Edited by Aggie87

I have the Capitol Box and all of the other discs of which you speak. I also have most of their American catalogue on original vinyl (I actually have TWO copies of the American "Revolver." One in mono and one in fake stereo).

What I want are the *British* albums reissued with better sound (the same ones that are currently available in the inferior versions). The Beatles catalogue was last remastered in the mid-1980s!

What I want are the *British* albums reissued with better sound (the same ones that are currently available in the inferior versions). The Beatles catalogue was last remastered in the mid-1980s!

Seems like a no-brainer that they'd remaster these. I'd buy 'em.

Edited by Kalo

Seems like a no-brainer that they'd remaster these. I'd buy 'em.

There are lawsuits up the wazoo between Apple & EMI and god knows who else. Though I tend to support those who have the masters, avoid Proper and other sketchy labels blah blah blah, here's a case where I say to HELL with Apple & Capitol and the Dexter ECHO ECHO ECHO boxes.

Find the Dr. Ebbetts boots. High quality needle drops of whatever you like - UK mono, UK stereo, German stereo, US mono or stereo...to hell with Naked or any of the other official crap. Trade for them at 30 cents a disc plus postage.

I bought the UK, US & German vinyl long ago, but the Dr. Ebbetts series is so well done I can't imagine bothering with any official compact disc product, especially after that Nekkid debacle (or the inferior BBC, or the cut & paste BS on the Anthology series.)

This post was brought to you by alcohol. :g

Dr. Ebbetts info link

Edited by Quincy