Interesting tunes.....

Free For All

There's a tune on Pepper Adams' recording "Encounter" that Thad wrote called "Elusive" that has a very interesting form. It's just like something Thad would do, an extended blues that's a little left of center.

Anyone familiar w/this one?

Anyone play this tune?

Anyone else like this recording? (W/Zoot, Elvin, Ron Carter and Tommy Flanagan)

It's nice to come across a tune that breaks the usual 8 bar phrase routine. That's one reason I never get tired of tunes like Alone Together (nice 14 bar A section) or Infant Eyes (9 bar phrases) among others.

I must say I'm totally impressed and humbled by the knowledge represented on this board.

So, can I borrow $20?

Edited by Free For All

Don't ask me for money - but advice is no problem. It's worth investigating the compositions of Gigi Gryce and Benny Golson. They were really stretching things in terms of form in the 1950s. Go check out a tune Gigi wrote called "Satellite." It's so deceptive - it sounds easy and swings, but it's very complex in form with key changes and also meter shifts. Plus the head chords aren't the solo chords, and the different soloists get different chords, with interludes, etc. There are plenty more where that came from. Gigi could write a great contrafact, or a great simple tune, but to me, his greatest accomplishment writing-wise was how he brought in those odd phrase lengths.

Benny was being discussed elsewhere here.

Mike

Michael, I sure enjoy your posts. You really know your shit!

So, where can I find a recording of Gryce's "Satellite"? I'd like to check it out.

I know, I could do a search, but I thought first I'd see if you had it on the tip of your tongue.

Edited by Free For All

I know it from the recording with Mingus, not from the later one with Zoot. Somehow I want to say there's another well-known recording of this tune - perhaps under another title but maybe it's just too late and I need sleep.

Mike

Now I'm really confused - I have a Glenn Wilson record titled Elusive and the title tune is credited to Thad, but it's what the 1954 Debut album calls "Bitty Ditty" - which I know from the Miles Davis recording, which is the well-known recording I was thinking of.

OK - I'm slowly coming around. The tune listed as Elusive on the Mingus Debut box is actually Bitty Ditty - yes?

So just clear things up - is the Pepper & Zoot one the tune that starts with a repeated minor second or the one that starts with a triplet with a pickup?

Mike

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

As far as I can see there was a mix up of tune titles when the Debut 10" LPs were reassembled for the 12" issues. So maybe Pepper Adams used the falsely attributed title from the LP he had. Or he was right, if he got the lead sheet from Thad - which is not all that unlikely - and the LP has it wrong ....

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, we everybody be gettin' on my case for playin' Sugar? It's a good tune!

Fine. I'll stop playing it. We'll stick to "Why Not?" instead. And if I have to get my Stanley fix we'll do Minor Chant.

Actually, I love Shirley & Stanley's version of "411 West". We were playin' that for awhile but it's not quite the same without tenor.

I also wrote a tune in tribute of Don Patterson that's a nice little minor thing. We'll do that now instead of Sugar. I promise. Next gig is tomorrow night and no Sugar will be had.

For the record, I have played Mr. Magic exactly once in my lifetime.

o.O

Damn, we everybody be gettin' on my case for playin' Sugar? It's a good tune!

Fine. I'll stop playing it. We'll stick to "Why Not?" instead. And if I have to get my Stanley fix we'll do Minor Chant.

Actually, I love Shirley & Stanley's version of "411 West". We were playin' that for awhile but it's not quite the same without tenor.

I also wrote a tune in tribute of Don Patterson that's a nice little minor thing. We'll do that now instead of Sugar. I promise. Next gig is tomorrow night and no Sugar will be had.

For the record, I have played Mr. Magic exactly once in my lifetime.

o.O

Speaking of the live set. When are you going to post some special "live" recordings again on your website? I dig when musicians w/websites do that. Feels like you're getting some extra candy for free!

...hey, and I'm just kidding about "Sugar." But NOT Mr. Magic!!!!! B)

Speaking of the live set. When are you going to post some special "live" recordings again on your website? I dig when musicians w/websites do that. Feels like you're getting some extra candy for free!!

I hear that, and second the nomination. All in favor?????

Where's some live stuff!!! Bring it on!!!!! :bwallace:

Damn, we everybody be gettin' on my case for playin' Sugar? It's a good tune

Hey Jim, why not combine your love of Shirley Scott and "Sugar"....play "Let It Go" from the Impulse Stanley Turrentine LP of the same name. "Let It Go" is the same song as "Sugar" except hipper AND with Shirley!!!!! :tup:)

Let It Go... good idea. That is a nice tune.

I'm not familiar with "Shower You With Love". Perhaps this is a good thing?

I thought of "Let It Go" because I just got the used CD in the mail today!!!! I put it on and.... :mellow::huh::o:D B) ;) Well, I'm not really THAT hip on tunes, just lucky the mailman showed up.

But I had never heard "Let It Go." I had no idea that "Sugar" was just an old Turrentine number renamed basically. Pretty cool.

yes Jim, it is a good thing you are not familiar with that.... actually the tune is called "Shower You With My Love" just imagine a lame bassline, a quiet storm drum loop, horrid 80's production, lame but not as bad as you know who soprano playing, a singer with blue eyes and a mullet singing cliche stuff like ::slight roar in voice:: "I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU ::insert melisma here::"

Edited by CJ Shearn