Monday Michiru Corner

JSngry

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't attended a concert in this version of the club, but I doubt it would be overloud. I would expect a pretty minimalist sound system/amplification in such a small place. The prior version of the Kitano was smaller (!), on the second floor of the hotel. I recollect going there three times--I saw trios led by pianists Steve Kuhn, Onajee Alan Gumbs, and Kevin Hays there.

It's in a really nice Japanese owned hotel on Park Avenue.

• 6 months later...

Monday's got an ever-expanding "What Is Jazz?" playlist going on Spotify and the selections are, to put it mildly, eclectic. Old farts, neo-cons, and anybody else who feels a need to own the word and/or the music will seldom be pleased. although there is music from Art Blakey, Wayne Shorter, Thelonious Monk, Joe Henderson/Alice Coltrane, a.o., there's a lot of other stuff that is nothing like that. But this is one person's experience...and it includes both Doug Carn and Woody Herman, Shirley Horn and Earth, Wind, & Fire, so it's not like I can't relate.

Oh, and it's got this little gem:

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/25/2018 at 5:26 PM, JSngry said:

Oh, and it's got this little gem:

I loved IG Culture in the early 2000s and now. And everything Broken Beat. And I see this is on Kindred Spirits,  a very interesting label then and now out of Netherlands.

On 5/11/2021 at 3:39 PM, JSngry said:

Adult Monday!

Very nice video.

10 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

There's a lot of love directed towards Ms. M. Michiru on this forum, but I realised that I have never actually listened to her.

What is the one record that you would start with?

Either Routes or 4 Seasons.

But she's got a back catalog of depth and variety.

There are gems even in the earlier stuff.

Here's an entire album that is really good, although not yet at the peak:

This one is kind of a house classic, from what I understand. The original was on Mondo Grosso's MG4, which itself is a very good record. But this remix takes on a life of its own (as the best remixes do)

The melody itself (when it arrives) is a thing of wonder as far as I'm concerned. It's just what she does, finds all sort of unconventional twists and turn inside traditional general grooves.

Here's the original Star Suite: