Monday Michiru Corner

JSngry

You know, Artist Share is a phenomenal resource, and a good portion of her best work is available on there, and will be on there in the future (as she only gets better). And Monday may be as busy as she wants to be and as much a cog in the industry wheels as she wants to be. But it would sure be nice if her back catalog were available in the US so that many another could afford to hear her music, and reap the benefits. That's what I want for Christmas.

Now how does one invent and build Santa Claus?

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to say with the recent events in my life I just have to be positive or I'll crumble. And Monday's music slid right in there when I needed it most and has become part of the strengthening. Her "philosophy road" is one that is a postivie travel route. . . I'm on the road.

Like Jim I've been enjoying exploring different music the last months and Monday's is possibly the cream of the crop. My hat is off to her for blending a fine mix of sound and refining the mix over the years.

It's really refreshing to hear the skillful fusing that Monday does and has done. I can envision this a new pathway for the music we love to grow and move past the past. Those songs. . . they have a life of their own. And Sasha's arrangements bring real meat to the songs' bones. There's tons of cred within and new currency to bank on. Let's hope there's more like this round the bend.

And Sasha's arrangements bring real meat to the songs' bones. There's tons of cred within and new currency to bank on. Let's hope there's more like this round the bend.

Mr. Sipiagin is doing his own Artist Share project ( http://www.artistshare.com/artist_project_...=97&selection=0 ), and according to Monday, she's doing drum programming for some of the selections. I'd wager a body part of substance that it's not going to be anything trivial.

I think I'll be getting in on this one.

Edited by JSngry

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it was made for the Japanese market, so unless you speak Japanese, not having the sound is not going to be a deal-breaker.

Then again, I don't speak Japanese, but really enjoyed the timbre and cadence of her voice listening to her speak it. And that laugh of hers is about as uplifting as things get. So yeah, play it with sound!

• 1 month later...

Monday's Fall Newsletter:

Greetings Lon,

t's been many months since I've had an opportunity to write an updated newsletter. The summer for me was mostly spent focusing on our son and his last period of freedom before entering kindergarten, which just began last week. We took time to enjoy our area, from the beaches, fishing with friends, going to the farms and wineries (the little ones would romp with the farm dog or cat in the grapefields while the adults would "taste" and get sloshed on the wines!), etc. I hope you enjoyed your summer as well.

So onto the latest events.

JUNE & JULY TOUR BLOGS -- I had the opportunity this summer to get to Japan twice, performing in duet settings as well as with the band at the Honmonji Shrine, which was a treat. I've recorded the daily events in a series of blogs, but some of you have written to let me know that the blogs cut off at the end. This is an obvious error in the ArtistShare program which I've notified tech about, and I've gone back to fix them. Now with more time to dedicate to the website and my overall work, I will be uploading pictures from the July tour, as well as other things, so please check back often. In fact, in the next few months, I will be revamping the face of the website as well.

MAGAZINE COVERAGE -- I'm excited about a few Japanese magazines that have used me in their pages recently.

One just came out a couple weeks ago, GRAZIA. It was a tie-up page with Cartier for their new line of watches, La Dona de Cartier, and I was asked to pose as the Mexican actress Maria ?? (the last name escapes me). I haven't seen it yet, but my folks had a friend send them a copy of the magazine, and they have raved about the images. My mother was aghast that Cartier didn't present me with one of the watches -- as if.

Another will be out in October, TOKYO CALENDAR. It will be made available in Japan, obviously as well as the New York Kinokuniya book shop. For their New Yorker special feature, they asked me to round up three men in New York who I'm affiliated with to pose in Paul Stuart clothing. There was no question that my husband Alex Sipiagin would be one, and he suggested and helped me round up the other two: drummer Antonio Sanchez (regular member of Pat Metheny's groups, Michael Brecker, etc.) and guitarist David Gilmore (has played in my band, MChristian McBride, Wayne Shorter, etc.). We only finished the shoot last week, and I was amazed at everyone's transformations and ability to pose so well!

And finally we have a spread in the December issue of a new men's lifestyle magazine called STRAIGHT for their New York jazz club special feature. I asked how they got the rather precarious name (considering it's a men's magazine) and they said it came from the drink, straight no chaser, but as there is already the UK magazine with that name, they shortened it. They asked Alex and me to help recommend clubs, set up some interviews (specifically with my step-father and also pianist Hiromi, who I recently met at my mother's trio engagement at Birdland in August where we shared the same table), etc.

Also here in the States I have a one page spread in CHIN, a new cultural magazine for their September issue.

Online there is a 3 part CD recommendation page that I just finished up with FUDGE in Japan (sorry but I don't have the link!!!)

Also, I was interviewed by a writer from Chile who has included the interview in primarily South American e-zines:

www.acidjazz.cl/home/enterate.htm

www.acidjazzhispano.com

www.beatburguer.com

www.acidjazz.ru/articles/detail.php?id=25

www.justgrooveit.com.ar/entrevistas/entrev_006.htm

LIVE TOURS -- We have several dates confirmed in Japan for November in December in Japan, and are in the final stages of confirming dates in Jakarta, Indonesia in November.

November 3 (Friday): THE MAT'S in Komatsu, 3:00 p.m.

This is put together by my good friend and former band member, saxophonist Kayoko Kimura, in her hometown. Jazztronik, YMO's former manipulator Hideki Matsutake, and various other artists will be joining the day of festivities.

November 24 & 25 (Friday and Saturday): JAKARTA JAZZ FESTIVAL

Very exciting for me to be invited to Jakarta with my band, and while we have not 100% confirmed it (nothing's final 'til the contracts signed, dig?) it looks like it will be going forward. As the date nears I'll send another blast with more details.

December 1 (Friday): In Tokyo, TBA

We're still finalizing this, but it looks like I'll be performing a duet with guitarist Higuchi-san in Tokyo. More info to follow.

December 4 (Monday): TOSHIKO AKIYOSHI JAZZ ORCHESTRA at Suntory Hall

As many of you know, my mother disbanded her big band in 2003 with a finale concert at Carnegie Hall, but was asked to put together the band for a special reunion concert at Suntory Hall. She asked me to sing her tune "Hope" which someone has put Japanese lyrics to. My husband Alex has also been asked to fill one of the trumpet seats.

December 8 & 9 (Friday & Saturday): CLUB IKSPIARI 2ND ANNIVERSARY

Our third time performing at Club Ikspiari, I'm very flattered that they have asked my band back to help celebrate their 2nd anniversary. If you haven't been to this club, it's really worth a trip, located next to Tokyo Disneyland. The sound system is great, the room is comfortable with every seat intimately close to the stage, and the food and bar is pretty awesome as well.

December 11 (Monday): OSAKA BLUE NOTE

Is there a pattern here? If it's not the weekend, it's a Monday...hmmm....anyhow I'm honored that Blue Note Osaka has asked me to come back with my band.

December 13 (Wednesday): JZ BRAT, Tokyo

We will be performing in a small group setting or duet, not the band.

There may be another date in Fukuoka during the December tour. I will send out another newsletter before these dates with more details such as website links, etc.

As for the band, the members are as follows:

George Colligan -- keyboards

Masanori Amakura -- drums

Alex Sipiagin -- trumpet & flugelhorn

I have been in talks with promoters in Poland, Italy, Korea and several cities in the U.S. Hopefully we'll get something going in these territories and others soon.

OTHERS: I'm dying to do a new project, and am probably going to launch yet another original solo project with ArtistShare through my website. Please check in again in the Winter if you're interested in getting into the project from the start -- you will not only see the project unfold from start to finish, but also will be helping in realizing the project by your financial support. I am hoping to be able to get it going by December more or less.

There are some collaborations in the works which I'll save for my next newsletter.

Until then be well everyone and embrace the new season!

peace,

Monday Michiru

I'm dying to do a new project, and am probably going to launch yet another original solo project with ArtistShare through my website. Please check in again in the Winter if you're interested in getting into the project from the start -- you will not only see the project unfold from start to finish, but also will be helping in realizing the project by your financial support. I am hoping to be able to get it going by December more or less.

LTB & I will be in (she's a fan too) for as much as we can afford.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details...16943&hit=1

Monday Michiru + Band

1999-June-11

Salzau, JazzBaltica 1999

Monday Michiru,voc Peter Weniger,ts,ss,fl Ken Shima,key

Kouichi Osamu,b Hideo Yamaki,dr Genichi Egawa,per

CD1: 53:25

1 Will You Love Me Tomorrow 9:03

2 Freed Or Bound 10:02

3 Cruel To Be Kind 12:21

4 Yellow Bird 9:41

5 Find Me 12:18

CD2: 33:14

6 Announcement MM / Title (omitMM) 28:46

7 Will You Love Me Tomorrow (Encore) (fade-out) 4:28

Lineage: dime > cd > flac > reseed dime

Sound Rating: A+

Edited by Chalupa

Monday Michiru + Band

1999-June-11

Salzau, JazzBaltica 1999

Am listening to this right now... the sound on this is GREAT! Some wonderful playing all around, and Monday's voice is captured nicely on this recording.

After hearing some of her work on CD, I wondered how well she would sound live. Well, I got my answer... this is some damn fine stuff! :tup

I'll definitely be looking for her the next time she plays in Southern California.

Cheers,

Shane

Monday Michiru + Band

1999-June-11

Salzau, JazzBaltica 1999

Am listening to this right now... the sound on this is GREAT! Some wonderful playing all around, and Monday's voice is captured nicely on this recording.

After hearing some of her work on CD, I wondered how well she would sound live. Well, I got my answer... this is some damn fine stuff! :tup

I'll definitely be looking for her the next time she plays in Southern California.

Cheers,

Shane

Downloading this now. I'm very eager to hear this since despite all the praise heaped on her I've yet to see/hear a lick of her recorded work.