Jump to content

Henry Threadgill


paul secor
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 6:09 PM, Guy Berger said:

Pre ordered as well.

Henry’s run on Pi is starting to creep up high on the list for “best run by a jazz artist on a single label”.  I like that the albums have tended to be on the shorter side.

Just got this in the mail.  Great music.  Doesn’t yet stand out to me relative to the other Zooid albums but that’s a very high bar.

The album’s notes includes a brief dedication from Henry:

Dedicating this music

At this time

In this moment 

To, in their greatness 

I will not

Shall not

Forget: Ahmad Jamal, Sonny Rollins, Wayne Shorter, Charles Lloyd, Archie Shepp - - - - Artist

Time…. 19, 20, 21….

“…The butcher has told the meat how to behave while being slaughtered.” (Emilio Cruz)

Edited by Guy Berger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Starting my morning with Poof...it's amazing how easy it is to listen to this music...it's not at all "easy" music, but is incredible easy to listen to and follow the stories.

Truly this is mastery in every regard. And at under 40 minutes playing time, even more so. There is a time for every time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Just smoked some weed and put on "Air Time"...one of life's rich pleasures. 

I really only know Mr. Threadgill's Air and Sextett output (although I did get to see Zooid live a couple years ago). Need to dig into the rest of his body of work. Just ordered POOF. 

That dedication is moving -- I hope Maestros Jamal, Rollins, Shorter, Lloyd, and Shepp have all received it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Eric B said:

Just smoked some weed and put on "Air Time"...one of life's rich pleasures. 

I really only know Mr. Threadgill's Air and Sextett output (although I did get to see Zooid live a couple years ago). Need to dig into the rest of his body of work. Just ordered POOF. 

That dedication is moving -- I hope Maestros Jamal, Rollins, Shorter, Lloyd, and Shepp have all received it.  

Coincidentally I received 2 orders for the Air Time lp today, both orders from the Atlanta area. Maybe 2 pals smoked some too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Coincidentally I received 2 orders for the Air Time lp today, both orders from the Atlanta area. Maybe 2 pals smoked some too.

Ha! Listening again today sober as a judge and it continues to be a rich pleasure. I know backlogs are crazy right now, but have you considered doing vinyl reissues of any of the Art Ensemble titles?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 4:46 PM, Joe said:

This interview with Henry Threadgill (conducted by novelist Frederic Tuten) just dropped at BOMB. https://bombmagazine.org/articles/henry-threadgill/

 Very nice. Inspired me to listen to Air Time. Henry’s flute in the opening track is great. Highlight is “R.B.” with just about the greatest bowed bass playing ever by the *great* Fred Hopkins. What a wonderful group. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

 Very nice. Inspired me to listen to Air Time. Henry’s flute in the opening track is great. Highlight is “R.B.” with just about the greatest bowed bass playing ever by the *great* Fred Hopkins. What a wonderful group. 

You were listening to Air Mail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

 Very nice. Inspired me to listen to Air Time. Henry’s flute in the opening track is great. Highlight is “R.B.” with just about the greatest bowed bass playing ever by the *great* Fred Hopkins. What a wonderful group. 

RB is Ronnie Boykins, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...