Do You Dance?

You know, in clubs and stuff.

I WISH I could dance. But I was born with ankles and feet that just don't move like the rest of me does. The tyranny of congenitality. And I got kinda bad knees these days. From the knees up, I'm good to go. But that's not how you dance, is it...

Anyway, when I hear a good fluid dance beat, my spirit soars. To me, dancing and singing are the most natural forms of expression. No instruments or other tools needed, just you and your body channeling the lifeforce. Shortest distance between two points.

Of course there's sex, but that's another thing altogether.

If I could dance and/or sing really well, I'd be the happiest person alive, I think. But alas, such is not my fate.

How many of y'all dance for pleasure? Ballroom, salsa, moshing, whatever. Myself, I really dig a modern, latin-y/disco-y/funky/swing-y groove, nothing heavy or pounding, just a fluid, elegant flow that allows for and encourages a spontaneous bodily engagement. To me, feeling that is as good as it gets. I want to dance like there's no tomorrow. And i do - inside.

Ok.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love to dance and have three brothers who can dance. I thank my parents, who taught all of us to dance.

I remember them dancing to big band music on the radio and going to dances with their friends. Those were the times they were closest.

I danced on my father's feet as a little kid and later always chose to date guys who could "hug-dance" and do a passable tango.

I remember my dad telling my brothers that knowing how to dance made him very popular with the ladies, as an incentive. He was right.:)

There was a time when I did a lot of dancing in the clubs. 59.gif

Can't say if I was any good or not, I had fun and was told I was fun to dance with, so that's all I really cared about. I enjoyed dancing to the hits mainly of the 70s and some from the 80s, but could find a groove in a lot of tunes.

When I was married my wife tried to get me to take ballroom dance lessons with her, but that's not for me.

I'd rather just improvise.

These days I will maybe dance a slow number, but still can do a fast one from time to time. Although with the exception of a wedding or private party I rarely am in a dancing environment.

I danced at a few concerts: Ziggy Marley, Pancho Sanchez. We need a good dance like we need a good cry once in a while!

And I do love playing for beautiful dancers. :)

On the album "ESPM the reunion: Live at Akhbar Hall" Idris Muhammad congratulated the dancers and said that he had structured his solo around them. I think that was one of the nicest things a musician has ever said to his audience.

MG

I wish I could dance, but I've always been clumsy, self-conscious, fearful, embarassed and rigid. I don't think I've ever danced sober either, and I'll be re-reminded of these facts next week at a wedding I'm attending.

Of course, hypocrite that I am, when people say "cool, you play an instrument. I wish I could"; I confidently say "it's never too late to start, anyone can learn if they try, it's OK to be a beginner, etc. :P

I do, but in my own very unorthodox style, inspired by watching and playing for quite a number of modern dance professionals. About twice a year - last time was on my wife's 50th birthday celebration last Saturday. She tricked me when she asked me to put on Doris Day singing Que Sera, and announced it was her choice - I was the first victim, and I don't know how to do a waltz, or any other traditional steps! She tried every man in the room, and only the last, a guy over 70, really could do it!

My revenge came later that night when I had my percussion students play some conga de comparsa and had everybody in the room join in - that's a step I know, but I was busy playing timbales and conducting the band. I cued them into a break and had an alto sax and a trombone play Happy Birthday on top, in 4/4 - the craziest birthday hymn you ever heard!

I'd love to dance more often, but the music that inspires me is too sophisticated, rhythmically, for most of the girls ......

I'd love to dance more often, but the music that inspires me is too sophisticated, rhythmically, for most of the girls ......

Now there's a great excuse! I got to memorize this one! :g

Another poor guy here who'd need a gunpoint or several pints of beer before making scarce attempts at rhythmically moving... :(