Zappa Plays Zappa

I saw the Zappa Plays Zappa show in Amsterdam, and I was mightily impressed. Three hours of live Zappa music performed pretty accurately, and Napoleon Murphy Brock's vocals sound like it's still 1974. It might be somewhat expensive, but I thought the show was great.

I saw the Zappa Plays Zappa show in Amsterdam, and I was mightily impressed. Three hours of live Zappa music performed pretty accurately, and Napoleon Murphy Brock's vocals sound like it's still 1974. It might be somewhat expensive, but I thought the show was great.

I wasn't there, but some Dutch friends of mine were going great googley moogley about it as well.

I don't know who's in this tribute band, but it won't be the same without Frank on guitar.

I didn't care for the live CD recorded when it was formally announced that he had cancer.

If it had sufficient alumni and Dweezil on guitar, it would probably be decent.

I'd like to see Ensemble Modern play Zappa in concert.

I don't think you should go in expecting something that recreates an authentic Frank Zappa concert, that's just impossible without the man himself present. However, as a performance of his music, it sounded great.

In Amsterdam, Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio sat in on a couple of tunes, but the core band consists of mostly unknown players and they played very well. I like how they focused on some of Zappa's more challenging instrumental stuff instead of doing "Bobby Brown" or "Disco Boy".

Edited by DatDere

Although I have a thorough Frank Zappa collection, including all of his legit releases and quite a few bootlegs, I feel that his challenging instrumental music is what will have the most lasting influence. Some tracks like "Advance Romance" and "The Jazz Discharge Party Hats" haven't aged well, though I still laugh like crazy when listening to a lot of his lyrics. Too bad that the Beatles medley from the 1988 tour with lyrics referring to Rev. Jimmy Swaggart's activities will never see the light of day officially.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I have a thorough Frank Zappa collection, including all of his legit releases and quite a few bootlegs, I feel that his challenging instrumental music is what will have the most lasting influence. Some tracks like "Advance Romance" and "The Jazz Discharge Party Hats" haven't aged well, though I still laugh like crazy when listening to a lot of his lyrics. Too bad that the Beatles medley from the 1988 tour with lyrics referring to Rev. Jimmy Swaggart's activities will never see the light of day officially.

me too.

This Zappa alum tribute was mighty damn fine, IMHO...

f73623odbe4.jpg

Band from Utopia - A Tribute To The Music Of Frank Zappa (Muffin, 1995)

Recorded live (in Germany, I think) in 1994 or 1995 (forget the exact date)

Chungas Revenge

Aint Got No Heart

Take Your Clothes Of When You Dance

What´s The Ugliest Part Of Your Body

Mother People

Help I´m A Rock

The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbeque

City Of Tiny Lights

Pound For A Brown

I´m A Beautiful Guy

The Bebop Tango

Yo Cats

Zomby Woof

Andy

Musicians include: Bruce Fowler, Tom Fowler, Tommy Mars, Ed Mann, Arthur Barrow, Ike Willis ( :tup ), Chad Wackerman, Robert Martin, Kurt McGettrick ( :tup - including best damn contrabass clarinet solo I've ever heard, on the Dolphy Memorial BBQ), and Jay Dittamo.

As good as the original - perhaps not quite.

Is the glass WAY more than half full -- HELL YEAH!!! :excited:

A very welcome addition to my Zappa library.

While I like the early Mothers, they're hardly my favorite edition of Zappa's many bands.

I enjoy the musicianship of later bands, including the 1984 and 1988 touring groups, as well

as the Grand Wazoo Orchestra and the short-lived group featuring Jean-Luc Ponty.

I do feel that some pieces like "Advance Romance" and others featuring Napoleon Murphy Brock

had a tendency to go on too long. It's also sad that many of the live bootlegs that have turned up

have never had a proper commercial issue made from Zappa's master tapes.

I saw the 84 touring group. Hard to beat that memory. Among the stage props I remember were a blowup Ronald Reagan doll and a Boy George effigy.

Youtube already has some vids of the ZpZ tour from last week in Ireland. (not the best sound)

Zappa Plays Zappa - Dweezil & Steve Vai 1

Zappa Plays Zappa - Dweezil & Steve Vai 2

For some reason the first clip reminds later Zep, and the second reminds me of Santana :huh:

I saw the original band in 1968 in NYC - I've always thought that there was a loose edge to them that no suceeding Zappa band has matched, a much closer tie to older rock and roll, and more of a feel for the old stuff, which made the NEW stuff even more interesting.

one intersting thing about Zappa, to me, is that, though he claimed the opposite, he was a real lover of old fashioned rock and roll, and understood how great that music could be. The night I saw him, he introduced Sam the Sham, who was in the audience, brought him up on stage, went into a huddle with the band, and produced a letter-perfect version (with Sam singing) of Wooly Bullly -

I'm sure these guys are fine, but the original band (1968+) had a nice precise/roughness to them, much funkier than the Steve Vai generation -

Yep. On the Dub Room Special, you can see/hear the difference between the 74 band and the 81 band. Night and day.

Yeah, but the post-Vai bands (well, specifically that 1988 band, for the last tour) were fantastic. :wub:

(And I agree that Zappa in the early 80's was a bit dry.)

Maybe using those Simmons pads/drums sucked the life out of the band?

Yeah, but the post-Vai bands (well, specifically that 1988 band, for the last tour) were fantastic. :wub:

(And I agree that Zappa in the early 80's was a bit dry.)

But his guitar playing was arguably his very best durign the '82 tour. Got less interesting in '84 and reached the lowest level (well, by FZ standards - meaning still pretty extraordinary) by '88.

Someone in the know over at the Zappa.com message board mentions that new tour dates will be added shortly, including Denver.

like i said.... the northwest is out of luck for now, DC is happening at the Warner. Denver, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Buffalo, Montreal, Providence, Wallingford, CT, Atlantic City are the rest. I may be missing one.

Might want to keep an eye on the official tour schedule.