Jazz Cameos Revisited

I'm pretty sure we had a thread like this back on--where the hell did we come from again?? Anyway--I started compiling a list this morning:

Hugh Masekala on the Byrds' "So You Wanna Be a Rock 'n Roll Star"

Sonny Rollins on the Rolling Stones' "Waiting on a Friend"

Phil Woods on Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are"

Chet Baker on Elvis Costello's "Shipbuilding"

Curtis Amy on the Doors' "Touch Me" (is this correct? I know he or somebody else from the Pac Jazz scene showed up on some Doors' records)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Steely Dan comment above reminded me that Chris Potter played on "Two Against Nature".

John Scofield was on Gov't Mule's "Deep End" Volumes I & II, and on Lettuce's "Lettuce Outta Here".

Herbie Hancock has been on a few things. He was on the Duran Duran spinoff album, Arcadia. And he was also on some Neil Diamond records, as well as Mick Jagger's "She's the Boss", and Bonnie Raitt's "Nick of Time".

Zoot on Phoebe Snow's "Poetry Man". Very nice.

Curtis Amy can also be heard on Carol King's "It's Too Late".

Fathead - too many to mention, but his half-chorus obligatto on Donny Hathaway's version of "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" (on EXTENSIONS OF A MAN) is beyond my capacity to describe.

Speaking of Tim Hardin - "Bird on a Wire"

- Joe Zawinul

- Sam Brown

- Ralph Towner

- Glen Moore

- Miroslav Vitous

- Al Mouzon

- Mike Manieri

- Colin Wolcott

I have this album, but not knowing it that well, it certainly appears that there are one or more cuts each with [early] Weather Report and Oregon.

While Shorter was mentioned with Joni Mitchell, you forgot to mention that Jaco Pastorius played bass on "Hejira," "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter," and "Mingus." Jaco really makes those albums, by the way.

Chet Baker was mentioned on Costello's "Shipbuilding." Ray Brown played bass on parts of the Costello "King of America" album. Costello's recollection of meeting Brown is pretty funny. In the liner notes to the Rykodisk reissue of "KoA," Costello talks about how he and producer T-Bone Burnett met Brown after a long flight to LA. Burnett mentioned that the airplane had been playing some of the Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong Verve recording during boarding, and mused aloud that no one made records that good anymore. Brown mentioned that he had played on those recordings. "Oh, yeah," Costello said, "And now we're going to make my stupid little record." Costello figured that most of these musicians who guested with him regarded him as some "limey millionaire who just liked playing with his musicial heroes."

If I remember rightly the point of the anecdote in connection with King of America was that Costello & Burnett were wondering aloud how the rhythm section & Ella were so tight on those discs.....without cluing in to the fact that Ray Brown & Ella were married at the time.

Re: the thread topic: Rhodri Davies with Charlotte Church & the Cinematic Orchestra. Evan Parker has racked up a few pop appearances with Robert Wyatt, Scott Walker & others, too.

• 2 years later...

after comming across this posting, i was obiligated to sign up simply to post:

why hasnt anyone mentioned Mr. Barney Kessel?

he not only made many jazz lps for my favorite record label, but also recorded with Elvis on all his early RCA sides, such as love me tender; with Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys on their Pets sounds lp and during the legendary Smile sessions; he also was THE key elment to phil spectors wall of sound- playing on most of the Phillies label hits (as well as the more jazz orientied b-sides)- Phil even once said: "no barney, no phil"!!

Wayne Shorter on:

Steely Dan - Aja

Rolling Stones - one track from Bridges To Babylon (possibly How Can I Stop?)

Don Henley - The End Of The Innocence

Also, tracks with Bruce Hornsby and Colin James Hay

And of course, he's been on every Joni Mitchell album since 1978 (Don Juan's Reckless Daughter)

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand