new Andrew Hill and Bobby Hutherson Selects!!

maybe it's a good idea to transfer the Tony Williams Select to the Mosaic's worst decisions threat (even before it's released) because the simmons drums he uses on one of the sessions is way beyond terrible and unlistenable.

Edited by Bluerein

Hmmm. . . I don't think I've revisited that one in years. . .b u t I don't remember it as being that bad.

But then again I played Simmons drums for three or four years in a few bands and I'm not a "drum purist." :D They can be quite interesting instruments in the right hands. But you do have to work beyond the default sounds.

Cannot wait for the Hutcherson and the Andrew Hill

I had most of the Hutch on LP and then sold them but kept most on cdr so its good to get nice clean copies of what I think is an overlooked period which is marked as being 70's therefore not so hot.

The Andrew Hill is an unexplored era for from his work so I also look forward to hearing that also. Bit more of a treat I guess as its all new to me like some of the earlier mosaics used to be

Thumbs up all round Mosaic :tup

I hope that Mosaic have better success in selling the Andrew Hill 'California in love' Select Set than I have had trying to sell (give away?) the LP on ebay. Nobody seems interested in it. I often think that it is only the people on this forum that buy any of Andrew Hill's music! Does anyone know how his other Selects are selling?

It's also good to see the Tony Williams recordings being made available again. I have them all, including the 'Live in Tokyo' double CD and they're all worth having.

I'm not familiar with the music on the proposed Bobby Hutcherson Select. How does it compare with his other 70's recordings on Blue Note like 'San Francisco', 'Illusions' and 'Live at Montreux'?

Anyway, it's good see that Mosaic is still finding interesting sessions to put out. Long may it continue.

I hope that Mosaic have better success in selling the Andrew Hill 'California in love' Select Set than I have had trying to sell (give away?) the LP on ebay. Nobody seems interested in it. I often think that it is only the people on this forum that buy any of Andrew Hill's music! Does anyone know how his other Selects are selling?

If the version of "California In Love" that you had were a CD instead of an LP, I'd be bidding on it in a heartbeat. (I don't buy vinyl all that much - what can I say.) Also, the vinyl of "California" isn't all that hard to come by, and I suspect those really interested in it have already gotten theirs.

I'd also guess that the first Hill Select must be selling pretty well (perhaps even "pretty darn well") for them to be already coming out with another Hill Select so soon. "Passing Ships" generated a LOT of interest, and there seem to be a new Hill Conn almost every year.

The interest is clearly there - so they are rightfully striking while the iron is hot (and it was geting hot long before anyone knew of Andrew's health concerns).