Lee Morgan Quintet 1972

wait so is this a vidoe link or audio only link. if its video im freaking out. i haev 2 see it. i have a copy of the lee morgan b'case from the jazz messengers. thats 1965, lees most creative year on record. how he had time 2 play in ENGLANJD w/ blakey in between making cornbread/infinity(hisbestswinginghardbopLP)/and GIGILO and whats the other 65 one as a leader...is it rumproller??? oh god youre gonna have to fill me in on that one.

anyways lee in the 70s was cutting edge-- he wasnt just ripping off miles or making really bland fusion like some of say blue mitchells 70s lps as a leader were more leaning twds- lees new tunes had crazy heads and it was a clear extension of charts he and written in the 60s+prior.

ok no problem

I downloaded it and then with winzip I extracted it to my desktop and opened with quicktime player.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the explanation, Andy. It took me a little while (I couldn't open with Quicktime directly, but when I tried to open the file, I used the list to choose Quicktime, and that worked) but well worth it!

Seeing that makes me very curious to know if any video remains of Andrew Hill's appearance on that program. I have a reel-to-reel tape transfer that was marked:

Andrew Hill Quintet

“Live on Soul”

WNET TV

2/11/71

Andrew Hill, piano,

Woody Shaw, trumpet

Carlos Garnett, tenor sax

Victor Sproles, bass

Roy Haynes, drums

They played Grass Roots/Bayou Red.

Edited by Dan Gould

Thanks! I couldn't unpack it with WinRar, but it does work with the latest Winzip version.

Very cool footage, the tune indeed is 'I remember Britt'. The only Lee Morgan footage I've ever seen before is with the Jazz Messengers. Is Jymie Merritt playing an electric upright here?

There's actually more good stuff in the main directory of this page: http://homepage.mac.com/bobbelden/

Various Blakey and Miles videos, Dexter Gordon, some guitar stuff... :)

Edited by DatDere

dan gould: you have a 1in" VTR reel to reel video recording of that? does that mean at one time u had a reel to reel 1 in tape VTR TV recorder?

for originator of post: is this from your personal collection or did you just find on net-- if its on the net do u think the whole show cirrculates at all on tape--- my friend who downloads of the net hasnt mentioned this one yet in the lists he sends me of all the rare jazz vids being put on the torrent servers....

Great site!

Don't miss out on Stan Getz' "La Fiesta" with Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke & Tony Williams!

BTW, the "guitar stuff" that DatDere mentioned is a 'summit' with Kenny Burrell, Barney Kessell and Grant Green (filed as GG-KB-BK)

Edited by BFrank

Guest youmustbe

I tried tracking down the SOUL tapes thru NET, the Schomurg Library, where they were supposed to be...no luck, although maybe the Schomburg has them now, for all I know.