Grant Green .Live on video

andybleaden

Well there is a dedicated youtube thread ... ;)

Too bad the person didn't put up the whole video; its a cool one with Barney Kessel and KB. Gambit, one of those Lonehill type labels, has put this tune onto a Barney Kessel release, Live in Los Angeles that is quite nice for guitar fanatics.

Well....I was fairly new to this site .....shame there ain't more of the show though but I could not believe it was there. I remember seeing a video advertised years ago and never figured it was this one.....Sorry to repeat an old thread although always good to give a bit Grant Green new air!!

They do have some lovely other vids too....one scorcher with Lonnie Smith and Ronnie Cuber

Andy

Well....I was fairly new to this site .....shame there ain't more of the show though but I could not believe it was there. I remember seeing a video advertised years ago and never figured it was this one.....Sorry to repeat an old thread although always good to give a bit Grant Green new air!!

They do have some lovely other vids too....one scorcher with Lonnie Smith and Ronnie Cuber

Andy

It's cool because there are no Green preformances on video. I would rather see Green in B&W in the 60's with a trio.

*Theres also a nice version of Sunny, by Pat Martino with Joey D on youtube.

Lots of great stuff here: Belden Video Network. Includes the GG/Burrell/Kessel jam called - "GG-KB-BK-London-69.m4v".

You get to guess at who all the videos are by their initials - in most cases, pretty obvious.

I THOUGHT it was '69. I saw the programme when it aired on the BBC and we were v disappointed that GG didn't have more of an airing.

MG

I think it's great that we have that KB/BK/GG video as a keepsake, but I kind of cringe a bit every time I watch it. I didn't think any of the three was particularly "on" in that performance, they didn't gel too well when trading solos, and to top it off, the ending was rather weak, imo.

Lots of great stuff here: Belden Video Network. Includes the GG/Burrell/Kessel jam called - "GG-KB-BK-London-69.m4v".

You get to guess at who all the videos are by their initials - in most cases, pretty obvious.

I THOUGHT it was '69. I saw the programme when it aired on the BBC and we were v disappointed that GG didn't have more of an airing.

MG

MG could you give some info in regards to what kind of situation this footage was first aired on. ie-was it as a musical interlude on say a UK chat or variety format where they crossed to the Ronnie scott club or something, or was it part of a music programme that featured more of the performers....I have always been wondering how this performance was originally presented....any info would be greatfully appreciated

Also in the Grant biography by Sharony Andrews Green I think it mentions that some Grant performances may have been documented on African American community TV stations during the early seventies in different contexts, I definitely remember reading about musicians talking about this kind of thing somewhwere.

MG

MG could you give some info in regards to what kind of situation this footage was first aired on. ie-was it as a musical interlude on say a UK chat or variety format where they crossed to the Ronnie scott club or something, or was it part of a music programme that featured more of the performers....I have always been wondering how this performance was originally presented....any info would be greatfully appreciated

Also in the Grant biography by Sharony Andrews Green I think it mentions that some Grant performances may have been documented on African American community TV stations during the early seventies in different contexts, I definitely remember reading about musicians talking about this kind of thing somewhwere.

It was a programme in the BBC's regular TV jazz series "Jazz 625" (625 referring to the number of lines on the screen). The material came from a guitar workshop from a Jazz festival called "Jazz Expo" or maybe "Jazz Expo '69", held in London. The programme was made up of some of the musicians at that festival. Very generous of the BBC to devote 40 or so minutes to showing bits of a week-long festival! As I recollect, the video posted here is all the GG that was shown. No memory survives of who else was on the programme or at the festival - I was only watching because of GG.

MG

MG

It was a programme in the BBC's regular TV jazz series "Jazz 625" (625 referring to the number of lines on the screen). The material came from a guitar workshop from a Jazz festival called "Jazz Expo" or maybe "Jazz Expo '69", held in London. The programme was made up of some of the musicians at that festival. Very generous of the BBC to devote 40 or so minutes to showing bits of a week-long festival! As I recollect, the video posted here is all the GG that was shown. No memory survives of who else was on the programme or at the festival - I was only watching because of GG.

MG

Thanks Magnificent Goldberg...one more mystery solved....you definitely are Magnificent!!!!!

Nice little video.

I think MG is correct. There was certainly one or maybe even two 'Great Guitars' segments in th Jazz Expo concert series. I can't recall if I saw this one or not. I only disposed of a Jazz Expo programme recently. A shame in the circumstances.

Nice little video.

I think MG is correct. There was certainly one or maybe even two 'Great Guitars' segments in th Jazz Expo concert series. I can't recall if I saw this one or not. I only disposed of a Jazz Expo programme recently. A shame in the circumstances.

Not to worry, John. My archive of complete 60's 'Jazz Monthly's' is useful in such circumstances.

In October's edition under 'coming events' it says:

'Jazz Expo '69

''' October 27th 8pm. 'Guitar Workshop' with Barney Kessel, Tal Farlow, Grant Green etc. Newport All-Stars featuring Ruby Braff, Red Norvo etc., Dakota Staton.

Sarah Vaughan and Maynard were featured on the 25th Oct. Hamp was featured on the 26th with Red Norvo and Gary Burton and that gig also had The Kenny Clarke/Francy Boland Big Band. October 28th had Louis Jordan, Bill Coleman and Albert Nicholas. Oct 29th had Hamp, Teddy Wilson and Ben Webster. October 30th had Albert King, Otis Spann, John Lee Hooker and Champion Jack Dupree, Monk and Cecil Taylor were featured on October 31st and Miles, Mary Lou Williams and John Hendricks were featured on 1st Nov.

Venue for all of the above was the venerable Hammersmith, Odeon. (in fact this was Miles last UK appearance until 1982, when he was back at Hammersmith (remember it well :excited: ).

I was......erm -8 then

Was Ray Charles using Don Wilkerson in those days?

Andy

Yes. Have you got the CD "Genius + Soul = Jazz Live" done at the Paris Olympia in Oct '61? Don is on that and takes a beautiful solo on "Come rain or come shine", which is not only the best solo he's ever done but, in my view, one of the ten great tenor solos ever.

MG