The Pink Panther

I was flipping around the channels this AM and it suddenly occured to me ... which came first, the Pink Panther movies or the Pink Panther animated character? I am guessing it was the movie, and I hope that Mancini got a lot of compensation because without his music, I don't think the animated show gets produced.

I'm not sure, but I remember reading that the character was originally created for the animated title sequences of the movie, the cartoons came later.

That's definitely right. BTW, it's Plas Johnson playing on both. More people must have heard him soloing than any other jazz musician ever!

MG

Well, we'll agree to disagree. . . . I believe Mairgret was more of an inspiration for the Clouseau character than Poirot.

I guess only Edwards knows/knew.

Oh, I didn't realise that was what you were implying. Dunno; don't think either was the inspiration particularly (though I'm only remembering Rupert Davies as Maigret in the TV series - never read the books).

My view of the inspiration behind Clousseau was always Jacques Tati.

MG